Vista Service Pack 1 available

My IT guy says that the service pack for Vista will have no effect at all for most users and is not worth the time it takes to download. Most of the changes thisn pack addresses are issues the average user will never see.
Several of the other sites I frequent that specialize in computers say the same thing.

My IT guy says that the service pack for Vista will have no effect at all for most users and is not worth the time it takes to download. Most of the changes thisn pack addresses are issues the average user will never see.
Several of the other sites I frequent that specialize in computers say the same thing.

My IT guy (me :) ) says different...
no amazing changes, no service packs ever are... but i wouldn't say not to download it. Windows Update will only show the service pack available to you, if your system is ready for it. If you have any incompatible drivers or whatnot, it won't even show up. So if it does show up, sure... download it. If nothing else, it helps file transfer speeds on most systems.

Service packs also roll up all the updates to date. When you install a new computer with SP1 media you do not have to download 100 updates that have come out over the last 15 months. You can burn SP1 onto a CD so when you reinstall a machine and only have original media, you can apply the patches right away without downloading.

Noticed on Update page that they (whoever "they" are) tried to download and install SP 1 on my Toshiba laptop on 3/20. It says it failed. What do I have to do next? Does anybody know?

The one thing that is really annoying about the SP1, is the practical infeasability to slipstream it into the original OS disc.

Diogen.

BEWARE!!! I had issues installing mine. I had the same issues that many others are reporting. It will hang on many user's computers on Stage 3 of 3 and will stay at 0% and you will get stuck and not be able to get into Vista again. I was on the phone with Microsoft for two hours over this crap. They told me to install it in safe mode with network (since safe mode itself wouldnt work) and it acted like it worked fine in stage 3 as well. When the laptop rebooted afterwards it said it did not install successfully and was reverting back to the previous version.

WHAT A JOKE MICROSOFT, WHAT A JOKE !!!

I also read to NOT install XP SP3 as there are issues with that as well. Another joke. They say that we are better off waiting until they get the bugs out of these as many people are having issues with these newly released updates.

BEWARE!!! I had issues installing mine. I had the same issues that many others are reporting. It will hang on many user's computers on Stage 3 of 3 and will stay at 0% and you will get stuck and not be able to get into Vista again. I was on the phone with Microsoft for two hours over this crap. They told me to install it in safe mode with network (since safe mode itself wouldnt work) and it acted like it worked fine in stage 3 as well. When the laptop rebooted afterwards it said it did not install successfully and was reverting back to the previous version.

WHAT A JOKE MICROSOFT, WHAT A JOKE !!!

I also read to NOT install XP SP3 as there are issues with that as well. Another joke. They say that we are better off waiting until they get the bugs out of these as many people are having issues with these newly released updates.

Heh...I won't install XP SP3 until it's really necessary...installing SP2 was like going through he**.

I slipstreamed SP3 into my Windows XP install and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary in any of the recent builds that I have done. The one nice thing is that it eliminates almost all of the updates that are done after a fresh install. Last one I did had only two items that needed to be downloaded, which was nice.

SP3 is definitely nothing to fear, at least in my experience with it.

With SP1 out for Vista, I finally decided to give it a try. All in all, it's not as bad as I've thought. If anything, it's more annoying than frustrating, especially if you're used to doing a lot of system tuning as certain things like control panel options, which have been steady since Win2k, have been moved around and slotted in other places. After a lot of poking around, looking up where thing have moved to, etc., it became much easier to work with.

UAC's are the single most annoying thing on the planet. Turned them off immediately to stop the nagging.

I can see where MS was meaning to go with Vista and I'm hoping that they'll keep the good from it and finally make the full jump with whatever Windows 7 ends up being. They need to just tell people that things are going to change, deal with it and prepare for it, like Apple did with OS X. If the rumours of using VM's for backwards compatibility in Windows 7 are true, then it looks like they're headed in that direction.

The one big difference I noticed was that, holy sh*t, is this thing a pig in terms of footprint!! I'm working with Vista Enterprise and I'm up to a 46GB install footprint. Office 2007 must have some big ass files in it to have added over a full GB of footprint over office 2003. I have yet to install either Nero, Roxio Easy CD Creator, Visual Studio 2008, the MSDN library for VS2008 or Adobe CS3. I'll be interested to see exactly what I'm up to in terms of size of the installation when all is said and done.

Thankfully there have been no compatibility issues so far. We'll see if that continues. As I'm not a gamer, I think I'll run into far fewer issues in that regard than others or at least hope that's the case.

Yeah I loaded it on 4 Laptops the other day without any issues.. Yeah SP3 for XP should be fine and that will be the last SP for XP.

DON"T DO IT!!! I installed the pack on 3 computers last week and 2 of them are still having serious issues. I talked to everal IT guys and they both said the advantages that the pack gives you are not worth the possible compatibility issues that have arisen.

The one thing that is really annoying about the SP1, is the practical infeasability to slipstream it into the original OS disc.

Diogen.

I totally agree, i had v-lite ready to go when it came out and it was a total bust. Damn Microsoft idiots :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts