Vista - Yes or No?

Try to network your computers Bob and see if you still have problems.

I connect to 5 different networks regularly and haven't had a problem with any of them.
All networks have multiple computers sharing files, printers, nas devices, ect... and I haven't had any problems.

I connect to 5 different networks regularly and haven't had a problem with any of them.
All networks have multiple computers sharing files, printers, nas devices, ect... and I haven't had any problems.

With Vista and XP in your network?

My Vista PC sees my XP PC. I just re-ran the network setup on my XP box and renamed the network something other than the default MSHome, and it works fine.

Try to network your computers Bob and see if you still have problems.

My XP laptop and Vista desktop network beautifully together. They share files. The laptop prints to the Vista desktop local laser printer perfectly.

Maybe I'm very lucky, but I've had no problems with Vista. It works great for me.

My XP laptop and Vista desktop network beautifully together. They share files. The laptop prints to the Vista desktop local laser printer perfectly.

Maybe I'm very lucky, but I've had no problems with Vista. It works great for me.

My Vista PC sees my XP PC. I just re-ran the network setup on my XP box and renamed the network something other than the default MSHome, and it works fine.

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

So far everyone I know who has it is disappointed. I am not happy with it because there are not enough drivers and the 64-bit implementation has less to offer than most Linux-based OS's. You would think this would be forefront since all PC's made today are 64-bit architectures.

I love Vista, it is so much better than XP that it's not funny. Its much more stable, things make a lot more sense, a lot less just weird bugs. I've only had a few issues with compatibility and one of those wasn't really a compatibility issue.

Some notes:

Vista does not use up more memory, at least not as much as you think. Instead it uses a technique called SuperFetch that caches takes into memory and keeps them there till you need more memory for use. That's why it might say 1GB in use but in reality as soon as you fire up a memory hungry task that'll cut in half easily and you won't notice. This is the reason why Vista feels very snappy and responsive. It is a great feature, to bad people don't know about it and therefore think Vista is taking up double the memory when its not exactly doing that.

You can disable UAC by bring up msconfig (run-> type msconfig) and going to the Tools tab and then scrolling down, select Disable UAC and then click Launch and reboot. If you find UAC to not be the annoying then maybe you shouldn't worry, but I find it amazingly annoying and therefore it was disabled right away for me. Your computer is "technically" more insecure this way but I can live with the "fear". You can either search for the run ability or you can add it to the Start menu by right clicking the orb and choose properties and then Start Menu tab and select customize, then enable Run.

Keep the Start menu organized. I tend to dislike the new design and how everything is on top of each other. The first suggestion I'd have is create a new folder in there called Window Apps or similar and then put all of the included programs into this.

If its a gaming system or anything dealing with performance use, look for updated drivers monthly. As of now there is still a very slight gap in gaming performance between XP and Vista, this gap is closing tighter and tighter with each new driver release. Vista has a new driver model and some interesting way of doing things underneath, the performance will eventually come up to par with XP, maybe even surpass it at some point.

This is a quote on a button that sums it up for me...

The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better." So I installed LINUX

The problem with Vista, it isn't ready for the masses. Give it a year or so, and it will slide past XP as the most stable. Just like it took XP a little while to beat out 98SE. Now I grant XP didn't have some of the issues Vista has, but it did have some issues nontheless.

Is Vista the worse? IMO, no, it is the most different (hence why it has so many driver and software problems) from anything else that anyone is used to. It will take time for the bugs to get worked out.

However, I do have one thing to say about Vista. Having nag screens everytime you open Control Panel or simply trying to view the root of your HDD, isn't real security. For one, it should be smart enough to know or at least learn for individuals habbits, and not just nag you everytime you try to move around your system. Like the commerical says, "I could turn it off, but that would just defeat the purpose." Most people will end up turning off, instead of being nagged.

However, I do have one thing to say about Vista. Having nag screens everytime you open Control Panel or simply trying to view the root of your HDD, isn't real security. For one, it should be smart enough to know or at least learn for individuals habbits, and not just nag you everytime you try to move around your system. Like the commerical says, "I could turn it off, but that would just defeat the purpose." Most people will end up turning off, instead of being nagged.

I do agree with that.... I made it about 3 weeks and I turned it off.... its so much more peaceful without it :)

To be honest, the enhnacements in the under belly of Vista are so far improved from XP that its not funny. The driver model is much better, the audio subsystem has very much increased (and hopefully will incourage game developers to use OpenAL), the kernel has been increased in so many ways, etc. The performance on Vista in every tasks in much better than XP. My system feels much more responsive than it did in XP and there are many people saying this as well. There are some bugs, but this is to be expected. I don't recall any previous Windows installments that went so easily however. Sure, UAC is annoying but it can be disabled. The cost is the only real issue I can see, and it is over priced by that's what you pay to be on the bleeding edge. If you like XP then don't upgrade, you'll be missing out on things from many aspects.

My main disapointment with Vista is the compatability issues with software that does not support Vista yet. I have noticed some annoying bugs as well where I already had blue screen of death from time to time and some weird issues but there are some things I like about it as well. For the most part I do not have issues but when I have one its annoying.

I really like vista. But, the main problems I have had is with old hardware, and some lack of drivers for current hardware. This is especially true with x64. I would not upgrade an old computer until I was sure there was complete driver coverage for your machine. I also like x64 since driver writers cannot cheat.

I just wished when you purchased a new computer that you had the option of XP or Vista. Me being an older fart would stay with XP for now.

Have any of you installed the latest Mcafee Virus Scan on Vista? That could be your problem with slowness and responsiveness. I installed viruscan and removed it after and hour because it slowed down Vista way too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)