Vital Program Information Download S503.

I had something strange involving the recording and timers happen this evening just an hour ago. I had just finished recording The Crazies on Syfy from a set Timer Event. When the movie finished and the recording ended at 12:30 it saved The Crazies to my DVR in My Recordings but when I viewed the channel, the status on the screen still showed a red dot indicating recording underneath the title. I checked the TV Activity and it said it was Watching & Recording the next movie, The Philadelphia Experiment. (Something I'm familiar with seeing since I always give an extra 2 minutes to my movies and certain shows, so it normally would show the next movie as still recording, but this was different). The Hopper was actually now behaving as if it was recording this next movie. Of course in the Guide it didn't show it recording, there wasn't any sign of it in the Daily Schedule or in My Recordings, and the red light on the receiver was no longer lit. So what seems to have happened is after the Hopper finished recording my first movie, it became confused and acted as if it was recording this movie as well. I couldn't press record and give the "recording" extra time, but if I used either the Guide or entered the channel number for Syfy, I could watch Syfy on another tuner while it still displayed Watching & Recording on the other. I pressed record from that tuner and it brought up a message saying 'Recording in process' -- I was going to conduct an experiment to see how long this phantom recording was going to last and find out if it would have ended at 2:30 a.m. when the second movie was over or if it would have continued to "record" the third movie also, but after too many times of checking, the TV Activity finally displayed only a red dot and all of the other information was blank. This prompted it to switch to standby mode for a quick reset and things returned to normal. I can easily imagine a scenario of relying upon a timer event to record a single movie or show and then having that same tuner now tied up unnecessarily afterwards while it continues to "record", which could lead it to cancelling another scheduled timer event and missing something important.

I had something strange involving the recording and timers happen this evening just an hour ago. I had just finished recording The Crazies on Syfy from a set Timer Event. When the movie finished and the recording ended at 12:30 it saved The Crazies to my DVR in My Recordings but when I viewed the channel, the status on the screen still showed a red dot indicating recording underneath the title. I checked the TV Activity and it said it was Watching & Recording the next movie, The Philadelphia Experiment. (Something I'm familiar with seeing since I always give an extra 2 minutes to my movies and certain shows, so it normally would show the next movie as still recording, but this was different). The Hopper was actually now behaving as if it was recording this next movie. Of course in the Guide it didn't show it recording, there wasn't any sign of it in the Daily Schedule or in My Recordings, and the red light on the receiver was no longer lit. So what seems to have happened is after the Hopper finished recording my first movie, it became confused and acted as if it was recording this movie as well. I couldn't press record and give the "recording" extra time, but if I used either the Guide or entered the channel number for Syfy, I could watch Syfy on another tuner while it still displayed Watching & Recording on the other. I pressed record from that tuner and it brought up a message saying 'Recording in process' -- I was going to conduct an experiment to see how long this phantom recording was going to last and find out if it would have ended at 2:30 a.m. when the second movie was over or if it would have continued to "record" the third movie also, but after too many times of checking, the TV Activity finally displayed only a red dot and all of the other information was blank. This prompted it to switch to standby mode for a quick reset and things returned to normal. I can easily imagine a scenario of relying upon a timer event to record a single movie or show and then having that same tuner now tied up unnecessarily afterwards while it continues to "record", which could lead it to cancelling another scheduled timer event and missing something important.
This has been going on with the regular Hopper for several months now. :(

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It amazes me how there can be so many SW problems with the Hopper as far as recording goes. I had a 622 for nearly 10 years that never failed to do what I asked it to do. Not once. The only reason I had to switch over to the Hopper is the HD in the 622 finally started to fail. Even with that happening it struggled to perform till the end and never gave me reason to cuss it.

It amazes me how there can be so many SW problems with the Hopper as far as recording goes. I had a 622 for nearly 10 years that never failed to do what I asked it to do. Not once. The only reason I had to switch over to the Hopper is the HD in the 622 finally started to fail. Even with that happening it struggled to perform till the end and never gave me reason to cuss it.
As Pogo said "we have met the enemy and he is us". Remember this is a forum of enthusiasts that loves to stress this technology so your going to hear from them when there's a problem or continuing problems. I sympathize with their issues but also shake my head and wonder sometimes when someone says problem xyz occurs and when will they fix it only to see someone else write I don't have any issue with my Hopper doing xyz.

I wish Dish would do like DirecTV and allow us to beta test. They should one-up DirecTV and collaborate with SatelliteGuys (much like they did with DIRT) in order for us to report all these bugs, in hopes that they can quash them before new software is released to the public.

I wish Dish would do like DirecTV and allow us to beta test. They should one-up DirecTV and collaborate with SatelliteGuys (much like they did with DIRT) in order for us to report all these bugs, in hopes that they can quash them before new software is released to the public.

I second that. Satellite guys would be a great test group. We can only hope.

I second that. Satellite guys would be a great test group. We can only hope.

I third that! I was in the beta tests for the Motorola 4DTV 920, 905 and 922 receivers and we found a LOT of bugs before the software went to general release.

This has been going on with the regular Hopper for several months now. :(

I'm aware that issues similar to this have been happening for several months now and carrying over into each update since S342, and I'm one of those who have posted and reported about some of them, but this was different to me since it actually showed in the TV Activity that a tuner was being used to record the non-recording. All of the other times something similar to this has happened, it would only show as recording in the Guide and the Daily Schedule and not in the TV Activity to where it would be tying up the tuner. The only thing that I had experienced tying up the tuner is when a scheduled show gets stuck '... is about to begin recording'. On a related note, I have found that now sometimes Picture In Picture can tie up a tuner as well. As long as I've had the HWS, PIP has always shown for one of the tuners when viewing my TV Activity whether I had actually activated it not. This is the first time I've actually seen PIP interfere with a timer event which was trying to record.

As a follow-up to those who have had the artwork on their External Hard Drives changed to generic channel logos, DISH actually did send an update that morning. It happened at 2:30 a.m. but it was only sent to the living room. My other Hopper didn't receive an update of any kind. I have hundreds of recordings stored and now I noticed that 6 of those recordings have had their proper artwork restored on one of my EHDs. Not all of the movies are even showing this week so it didn't draw from them as a source. This is when viewing through my HWS which didn't even receive an update. Also for unknown reasons two of my movies (Monsters University on Starz and Byzantium on The Movie Channel) which at the times of recording had just screen captures for artwork now have the proper movie poster art, which is a welcome improvement.

I noticed something when watching recorded shows yesterday. When was finished watching the show and pressed "Stop." At the banner that comes up that asks you if you want to Delete the show, got to the DVR or go to Live TV... if you press Delete it used to take you back to Live TV and you had to navagate back to the show via the DVR menu to play a another episode. Now it not only takes you directly to DVR but it also highlights the show you were last on so all you have to do is hit Select and then scroll down for the next episode to play. Milliseconds saved!

Reactions: navychop
As a follow-up to those who have had the artwork on their External Hard Drives changed to generic channel logos, DISH actually did send an update that morning. It happened at 2:30 a.m. but it was only sent to the living room. My other Hopper didn't receive an update of any kind. I have hundreds of recordings stored and now I noticed that 6 of those recordings have had their proper artwork restored on one of my EHDs. Not all of the movies are even showing this week so it didn't draw from them as a source. This is when viewing through my HWS which didn't even receive an update. Also for unknown reasons two of my movies (Monsters University on Starz and Byzantium on The Movie Channel) which at the times of recording had just screen captures for artwork now have the proper movie poster art, which is a welcome improvement.

So far I have seen no improvement. Most (not all) of my icons erroneously show up as Showtime West HD and National Geographic HD.

Well, I have Last Comic set up as a test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some work and some don't. The ones that usually work are the ones on the .1 sub-channel, the .2's and .3's don't usually work at all.