Vizio announces its first consumer 4K TVs, kills all 3D support

Let me get this straight: They bring out UHD models that really help 3D and then drop the 3D feature (which basically costs them nothing to include). I don't see how dropping 3D "helps" PQ.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Let me get this straight: They bring out UHD models that really help 3D and then drop the 3D feature (which basically costs them nothing to include). I don't see how dropping 3D "helps" PQ.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Translation: There is not a generic 4k 3D chipset for us to include, we do not make any of our own chips only chips we can buy on the open market. When a cheap Chinese knockoff 4k 3D chip is available, we will be happy to include it. Our "custom" silicone is something we simply ordered from a 3rd party and made a selection of features we wanted included, and they made us this "custom" chip.

Translation: There is not a generic 4k 3D chipset for us to include, we do not make any of our own chips only chips we can buy on the open market. When a cheap Chinese knockoff 4k 3D chip is available, we will be happy to include it. Our "custom" silicone is something we simply ordered from a 3rd party and made a selection of features we wanted included, and they made us this "custom" chip.

Thank you. Crystal clear now.

Thank you. Crystal clear now.

I would expect first tier manufacturers like Samsung, LG, Sharp, etc. to have 4k and 3D since they will spend the money on R&D and make chipsets to handle it. Eventually there will be third party ones. The I expect to see Vizio suddenly bring back 3D by popular demand...

Vizio is a low budget TV. I bought one for my edit suite and it works great for 3D editing.

But the picture quality is not the best. Vizio sacrifices some key features that detract from image quality and can be seen in side by side demo. Like 60 hz. Refresh rates while my Sony is 240. Color processing makes the image look more like a computer screen, than a natural movie image. But, by itself Vizio looks like a real bargain. it's just no Sony, Samsung, Panasonic or LG.

Maybe they are reserving some of that custom " silicone " for a line of breast implants. ;)

They " could " be banking on Ultra D 3D becoming readily available and licensing that.

Ultra D 3D. No glasses needed. http://www.streamtvnetworks.com/ultra-d.shtml

Last edited:
Its funny how everyone looked down their nose at Hyundai until around 2006, then they showed up with comparable products that were cheaper and had a better warranty...

Vizio's M and E 2013 series have had favorable reviews. People love to talk about sharp, but their 6 and 7 series dont look so hot, but hey, they have the word "Sharp" on them...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5279382/interview-vizio-p-reference-cto-matt-mcrae

Around 6:35 Vizio explains the 3D decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)