Vizio firmware updates

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Anyone else experiencing slow TV startup with the latest firmware? It takes much longer before I can change channels, adjust volume, or change inputs. About 1+ minute.

Anyone else experiencing slow TV startup with the latest firmware? It takes much longer before I can change channels, adjust volume, or change inputs. About 1+ minute.

That's probably the time it takes their new spyware to activate the tv's camera and microphones and such...

It is Vizio after all...

Don't know if I've had a recent update on my Vizio smart set or not, but it has always seemed like it took TOO long to be able to switch inputs! That's a simple function that should be quickly available. 32" set from about two years ago. Can't remember what series it is. I also can't pair the vizio remote to the vizio anymore, it's strictly infrared lately. Don't know why.

Given what I've experienced in connectivity, and limited apps, my next TV, if possible will not be a "smart" set. I much prefer to use an add-on box which can easily be upgraded by replacement. I find myself using ROKU more than the apps in the Vizio. My two vizios don't hold connectivity, even on "excellent" signal. One has roku wired to router, so no big deal. The other one is atop a refrigerator, 20 feet from a router and drops connections, ignores connections, and is very quirky. (24" smart set.)

I like the PICTURE and PRICE of the Vizios, but the "smart" part...."Meh."

Not to mention, that TV may lose current apps in the future. I lost YouTube on one of my BD players.

my next TV, if possible will not be a "smart" set
The way it's been going, I wonder if it will be possible. To me, the "smart" functionality is pretty much a standard feature. Of course, you're not forced to use the smart functions either. I have a Roku connected to one of our smart TVs.

Don't feel too bad, my Sony Bravia with Smarts also takes 30-60 seconds before it gets itself sorted out and allows changing channels or inputs. Otherwise, it's the "Powering up, please wait..."

Sounds like me in the morning, so I guess I can't be too upset.

Reactions: navychop
Don't know if I've had a recent update on my Vizio smart set or not, but it has always seemed like it took TOO long to be able to switch inputs! That's a simple function that should be quickly available. 32" set from about two years ago. Can't remember what series it is. I also can't pair the vizio remote to the vizio anymore, it's strictly infrared lately. Don't know why.

Given what I've experienced in connectivity, and limited apps, my next TV, if possible will not be a "smart" set. I much prefer to use an add-on box which can easily be upgraded by replacement. I find myself using ROKU more than the apps in the Vizio. My two vizios don't hold connectivity, even on "excellent" signal. One has roku wired to router, so no big deal. The other one is atop a refrigerator, 20 feet from a router and drops connections, ignores connections, and is very quirky. (24" smart set.)

I like the PICTURE and PRICE of the Vizios, but the "smart" part...."Meh."

If you look at the "M" or "P" series of Vizio they are not "Smart" displays. These come with an Android Tablet with aps installed, and more aps can be downloaded, plus the "P" can do HDR10 and that includes Dolby Vision which is the ultimate PQ and Audio.
You can also use I-phones or Android cell to control the Vizio.

Are you saying there's a vizio that can accept third party apps directly to be INSTALLED?
Not interested in anything but stereo sound for my two ears. Good enough for me. Vizio sound pedestal is fine.

I don't want to use something to 'cast to the set. Simple, Roku-style streaming or similar on a set that just takes inputs would be fine for me.
I was told by Tune-in Radio when our WION audio stream was broken on the Vizio's Tune-in App: Thank you for contacting us regarding this issue. Our team has informed me that the Vizio implementation, (of Tune In Radio) formerly yahoo tv, is no longer being supported as Vizio has recently been purchased. We’re sorry for the inconvenience."

I've enjoyed vizio, but lately my favorite one is an early one, non-LED with NO smart "anything" which I still use in my bedroom. Comes right on, responds to any IR remote trained for it instantly, and gives me no trouble. Teamed with a Roku, I'm happy. The two smart ones seem to want to act on their own.

Yes, you can install other aps on the tablet or your cell phone, one exception is Amazon Fire Tv, and Amazon Fire Stick, seems like there is some kind of war going on between Google Chromecast ,which is installed on the Vizio tablet, and Amazon. This is a Casting setup. not Smart Media.
Advantage is that Chromecast updates it's aps, where Smartcast is a problem in this area, as I understand it,I could be wrong.
Dan

After upgrading my internet service, yesterday was trying out the Vizio apps. Wanted to add Crackle to main tv, but the Yahoo apps store no longer works. Great!! Now how the hell do I add any apps I might want like Crackle?

After upgrading my internet service, yesterday was trying out the Vizio apps. Wanted to add Crackle to main tv, but the Yahoo apps store no longer works. Great!! Now how the hell do I add any apps I might want like Crackle?

Does the tv have usb ports? Can you sideload apps from a usb drive?

Crackle is pre-installed on Vizio "P" and "M" series Tablets.
Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts