VOD blows up my stereo receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcwebman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Spring, TX
I have my DirecTV receivers feeding audio/video through my Onkyo stereo receiver and then everything going to my Samsung TV via an HDMI cable.

Every time I have downloaded Video on Demand (VOD) content and then tried playing it, there's a huge pop and my Onkyo turns off. When I turn it back on, the content is playing fine and there are no problems anymore, but I'm not going to download anymore as I'm afraid it's going to ruin my receiver.

Anybody else seen this or have an idea why the VOD content is so different that this is happening?

I have my DirecTV receivers feeding audio/video through my Onkyo stereo receiver and then everything going to my Samsung TV via an HDMI cable.

Every time I have downloaded Video on Demand (VOD) content and then tried playing it, there's a huge pop and my Onkyo turns off. When I turn it back on, the content is playing fine and there are no problems anymore, but I'm not going to download anymore as I'm afraid it's going to ruin my receiver.

Anybody else seen this or have an idea why the VOD content is so different that this is happening?

Which model Onkyo do you have?

Which model Onkyo do you have?
Onkyo TX-SR674.

I don't think muting would help but it's worth a try. I have considered just turning off the receiver and when I think the playback has started, turn it back on. But there's still something wrong somewhere in order to have to come up with a workaround.

It shouldn't happen but I don't have any ideas. Some of the new high end Onkyos, 805 and up have had some popping problems. No one has reported any damage as far as I know.

I have a middle of the road Yamaha and I get the pop on every VOD I download as well, although the receiver doesn't shut off. It is very annoying and normally scares the bejeebus out of me, lol.

Bill

I have an Onkyo as well. Just does it on the karoake songs - other downloads are just fine.

I have a middle of the road Yamaha and I get the pop on every VOD I download as well, although the receiver doesn't shut off. It is very annoying and normally scares the bejeebus out of me, lol.
Bill
Good to know it's not just Onkyo receivers. So there is something wrong with VOD. And I agree, it does make you jump!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)