VOD Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The Directv video on VOD says the do not recommend wireless internet connections. Are most using VOD directly wired to DSL, using wireless or using the Directv kits?

Thanks.

There is no reason not to use wireless if you wish. I have 1 connected to my network using a wireless bridge (like a gaming adapter) The rest are hardwired. I see no difference.

Theoretically, you should never see a speed issue as wireless G/N is far faster than your internet connection will be.

There is no reason not to use wireless if you wish. I have 1 connected to my network using a wireless bridge (like a gaming adapter) The rest are hardwired. I see no difference.

Theoretically, you should never see a speed issue as wireless G/N is far faster than your internet connection will be.
Yes but you can buy a 50' ethernet cable form Radio shack and walmart for $25. Directv wants you to spend $75 on the frist HR-20 hook up and $35,for the second one. I'm not even going to get into what Best Buy wants for wireless ethernet. Lests just say I didn't see one for less then $100,and Best Buy wants $40 for the same 50' cable.

Hold on, if you only have one port, you need a router first. Sounds like he has a modem hooked to the PC, possibly USB or Ethernet. He will be much better off just getting a router, then hooking it up however he wishes.

Yes but you can buy a 50' ethernet cable form Radio shack and walmart for $25. Directv wants you to spend $75 on the frist HR-20 hook up and $35,for the second one. I'm not even going to get into what Best Buy wants for wireless ethernet. Lests just say I didn't see one for less then $100,and Best Buy wants $40 for the same 50' cable.

But depending on your layout, and home construction, it may not be easy to run cable. Therefore a wireless connection is great. And since the OP's question was, why not use wireless per D*, I say, there is no reason.

I have a part of my home that is flat roofed and I cannot pull cable there. That is why I have wireless in that part of my home. Others may have similar situations.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a DSL connection with a 2Wire 1070B Gateway with only one Ethernet port. I'm looking for the simplest way to connect. I assumed that would be the Homewire kits, but I need another Ethernet port that's why I thought of the 4 port hub.

Thanks again

Wireless can be fine for VOD as longs as your internet connection isn't faster the wireless throughput you are getting. I have 6Mbps DSL and get about 20Mbps real would throughput on my 802.11g wireless network. Wireless has a hard time with real time HD streaming even in optimal conditions but VOD is buffered.

Wired is better from a security, stability and speed standpoint (even compared to wireless systems that claim to have more throughputh than wired). Eventually I want to run a wire to my entertainment center to help with local throughput of media sharing on the xbox 360 and D* receiver.

I use a router with a 3rd party firmware that allows it to run as a wireless client bridge. That way I just wire all the devices in my entertainemnt center to a single router acting as a wireless client.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a DSL connection with a 2Wire 1070B Gateway with only one Ethernet port. I'm looking for the simplest way to connect. I assumed that would be the Homewire kits, but I need another Ethernet port that's why I thought of the 4 port hub.

Thanks again

Yes you have it about right. A 4 port router hub would work fine for you. No need to get the homewire kit and waste the money just go to your local computer store, get your self a router and 2 ethernet cables and you should be all set. You use the ethernet cable currently going into your PC and plug that into the input slot of the router. Then use the other two ethernet cables you purchased and plug one into your PC and the other to your receiver and you are basically done.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)