VOD question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Motorhead720

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2015
Greeneville,TN
I had to have a tech come out to the house and adjust my dish. Long story short, while he was there he asked if I had high speed internet. I replied yes. So connects this small box to one of my recievers and says we now have VOD. He said they were doing this because people are leaving D* and going to cable because of the VOD feature. Anyone else have one of those small boxes? I think it's all in my head but since he connected that small box my pq seems different.

These are very common and typically standard for any install where the customer has cable/DSL/fiber broadband.

There is no change in satellite picture quality. If you download something from on demand it may have a different picture quality.

One tip, take any channel you want to watch via on demand and just add a 1 to the front. So TNT is 1245 instead of 245, that opens the on demand for that channel.

Reactions: Jimbo
These are very common and typically standard for any install where the customer has cable/DSL/fiber broadband.

There is no change in satellite picture quality. If you download something from on demand it may have a different picture quality.

One tip, take any channel you want to watch via on demand and just add a 1 to the front. So TNT is 1245 instead of 245, that opens the on demand for that channel.
Thanks for the tip.

Or, simply select the channel name if there's a plus on the guide. In the guide, you'll see 245 TNTHD, and there's a + sign in the call letter box. Select the call sign box and you'll go right to the VOD channel.

if he used a wired broadband deca, then he probably installed a 2 way splitter which does add a 2db drop to the overall system. not much but it is measurable (although im not sure you could really see a change that small). i have a friend who's an installer, and he told me about a job where he consolidated an 8 way, 4 way, and 2 2-ways into a single 8 way, and that the difference was night and day.

side bonus: now that you're connected to the internet, you can use the D* app on your android or iDevice. also, channel 1000 is ALL VOD selections. good for browsing movies, just make sure the channel is in your programming package or you can watch it even if you paid (oops...)

if he used a wired broadband deca, then he probably installed a 2 way splitter which does add a 2db drop to the overall system. not much but it is measurable (although im not sure you could really see a change that small). i have a friend who's an installer, and he told me about a job where he consolidated an 8 way, 4 way, and 2 2-ways into a single 8 way, and that the difference was night and day.

side bonus: now that you're connected to the internet, you can use the D* app on your android or iDevice. also, channel 1000 is ALL VOD selections. good for browsing movies, just make sure the channel is in your programming package or you can watch it even if you paid (oops...)
Since DIRECTV® uses a digital signal, there is no degradation of picture quality. With digital signals you either get the picture or you don't. picture quality is the same wether you have 100% or 50% of signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts