VoIP Provider Recommendations

LER

Supporter / Pub Member / Server Weenie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2003
Round Rock, TX US
I know we've had this discussion before, but what's the current state?

I have my land line with Time Warner, but they are pissing me off after a move from U-Verse. I'll keep the 50meg/5 meg IP service, but I know I can do better on the VoIP stuff from elsewhere.

What are folks here using, and what's the reason?

Looking to LNP my local number.

Need VoiceMail, on the web call logs (real time), and Web Access to VoiceMail.

CallerID with Name is required as well.

Thanks All!

I second Ooma. Great call quality and never an issue (sans this morning). I'll admit, though, its a bit nervewracking dropping $200 on the device with the outside chance the company could go belly-up tommorow.

Scott seems happy with Magic Jack. I haven't heard anyone else happy with it.

Oh, and NO PC REQUIRED :) (That leaves out MajicJack).
Ooma still works then, as does Vonage. Ooma has the upfront cost of $200, but no monthly charges (except for taxes in most areas, which is usually around $3/month). Vonage does not have the upfront costs, but it does have the monthly fees

Any one using ooma with Google voice and a sprint cell phone with Google voice option 1 integration?

I'm seriously looking at it with the premiere stiff.

After all the recommendations, I bought an OOMA and 2 handsets. Initiated the port from TW,and bought extra numbers to use as GV targets for each of our Cell Phones.

We'll see. So far so good. :)

LER said:
After all the recommendations, I bought an OOMA and 2 handsets. Initiated the port from TW,and bought extra numbers to use as GV targets for each of our Cell Phones.

Are you still liking OOMA?

Wow. You forked over a lot of money.

BTW, I don't use their handsets. I just plugged my Ooma into one phone jack and all of the phones in the house work (none of them are the Ooma handset), including the caller IDs and message notification. My DirecTV receiver works through it as well

I wanted the advantages of the handsets, and the targets for Google Voice are nice. It's mostly one time charges. I also bought a year of Premier pre-paid.

As to TWC dragging their feet, there are FCC rules on how long it can take. Ooma says by 14-September.

I'm a tech geek, and this kind of thing is fun. I may actually buy a 3rd handset.

I wanted the advantages of the handsets, and the targets for Google Voice are nice. It's mostly one time charges. I also bought a year of Premier pre-paid.

I'm a tech geek, and this kind of thing is fun. I may actually buy a 3rd handset.
That's as good of a reason as any.

The situation with Ooma the other day is why I would NEVER EVER use any of these rinky dink VoIP providers. They simply cannot be trusted. You get for what you pay for, and there is a reason why these companies charge very little to nothing for their services.

The situation with Ooma the other day is why I would NEVER EVER use any of these rinky dink VoIP providers. They simply cannot be trusted. You get for what you pay for, and there is a reason why these companies charge very little to nothing for their services.
That was like one rare thing in years. I had my local phone service and my TWC phone service drop service much more than that. Ooma has been the most reliable phone service I have ever had

And in a few years when Ooma goes a la SunRocket, will you just move over to the next cheapest rinky dink provider until they go belly up? Never had any issues with my TW digital phone service. It's nice having the peace of mind knowing that tomorrow morning when I pick up the phone there is a 100% chance Time Warner Cable will still be in business. I hate Verizon more than any company on the planet, but put up with then as opposed to switching to a VOIP provider because of the reliability. As soon as TW launched phone service here I was gone, but telcos and cablecos are the only ones I'd get phone service from, not some company that probably isn't making enough of an ROI on their service to keep on maintenance and service enhancements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)