Voip?

Well the best service provider is nill. Cable, DSL, and Fiber is the best ways. If they are set up right, they work great.

I have Vonage and am very happy with it when I lived in South-Central PA with Adelphia as the ISP. Now that I have Comcast up here in NH, Vonage has been nothing but problems. I ordered Verizon the other day to see if that clears things up, if not, we will just go to cell phones.

whoa. it seems like vonage is pretty popular here. too bad they're going down. verizon has filed a lawsuit against them. vonage sucks! why would anyone want their service?

whoa. it seems like vonage is pretty popular here. too bad they're going down. verizon has filed a lawsuit against them. vonage sucks! why would anyone want their service?

I highly doubt you'll see them go down.

What service do you prefer over Vonage?

I won't say Vonage sucks, I used them for a short time, but I have found better service, features and prices at ViaTalk. I also don't think Vonage will disappear, but will be hurt somewhat and likewise we never know who, if anyone else, is going to be sued next; they obviously went after the biggest name first that they did not have ANY current agreements with. I have read, but have no 110% proof, that after the first few months of the Vonage lawsuit, many of the others got agreements to avoid suits.

I've tried a few and wasn't thrilled with any. Vonage, ViaTalk (probably the best) and Sunrocket. That being said I then realized that I was using 2.4ghz phones in a townhouse complex with about 9 wireless networks around! I got stuck in a contract with my phone co but its up next month so I'll probably mess around with a couple again. Most have trial periods so you can cancel. I know a lot of people who have Time Warner's digital phone and love it but its more expensive. Before you try it use a test like speedtest.net to test your speed. My download is good, upload stinks but its still with the specs of any voip service.

what about skype? coz i use it in my computer and it wont run properly. got voice delays from the other line too. and im not going with vonage either.. anything that you guys can suggest for dial up?

what about skype? coz i use it in my computer and it wont run properly. got voice delays from the other line too. and im not going with vonage either.. anything that you guys can suggest for dial up?

You mean dial up internet? I don't think dial up can support any kind of voip.

Don't you need like 256k up & down and higher ?

Depends on the codec. The highest quality codec you'll find with most VoIP providers is g711 which uses about 90 kilobits. Typically when I have one VoIP line running I see my upload/download monitor from my router running around 10 kilobytes a second on the upload and download side.

ALEXANDRIA, Virginia: Internet phone company Vonage Holdings Corawill be barred from signing up new customers as punishment for infringing on patents held by Verizon Communications Inc, under an injunction.

The injunction was to take effect on Thursday, but a US appeals court granted the company a temporary stay which will allow Vonage to sign up new customers until the court rules on its appeal.

The order issued by US District Court Judge Claude Hilton is less severe than the punishment he initially proposed.

hmm.. nobody answered anymore. Anyway, yeah, I was like really hesitant to get vonage's services because of that lawsuit filed against them by verizon. Their company is going down.

But since I dont have a broadband, ventrillo, sunrocket, packet8, skype what have you will not work on my dial up.

And I found this website which allows you to make calls even if you dont have a dial up. If you want, you can check it out.

http://www.voip.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)