Volume One, Show Fifteen

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Welcome to this weeks Pod cast. This week The studio gets Hot and Smoking, when Scott and Bob talk about this weeks Tech Chat.
Also, We cover All the Hot pass details from this weeks Debut of NASCAR HOT PASS on DirecTv. Finally, we wrap things up with Full Details on rumors of an All MPEG4 service from E*. Don't forget to Vote for us on Podcast Alley, and We will See you real soon!

CLICK HERE to vote for our Podcast at Podcast Alley

Dial Up Click Here (Real Audio)

Attachments

• 021708satelliteguys.mp3
    11.1 MB · Views: 1,205
Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the best pod cast you guys have done to date....

Thanks... After some groovy editing by me.... I couldnt stop laughing after we started talking about eastern arc. You cant tell on the podcast, because I muted my mic but I was rooooollllling! Maybe thats what the show needs.. just to tell it like how it is and lay it all down.

Last edited by a moderator:
i liked the show but scott i take it you were a little peturbed with the tech chat huh...lol....great show

Sorry Soctt, but you are E* biased, please stop denying it

Scott, I've mentioned this before that I believe that you're biased towards Dish, but you alway come back an say that you're not, that you treat both the same. You may honestly think so but you keep saying things that make it sure sound other wise. In a prior pod cast you said something along the lines about 'coming back to us' in a reference to Dish. On this pod cast you said at about the 22:00 minute mark, in reference to DirecTV HD channel offerings:

"A majority of their HD channels, even thought they have HD versions of Cartoon and Nickoloden, and you know other channels, none of those channels show any HD on them"

Scott, I will agree that Nick, MTV, CMT, Cartoon, VH1, Fuel, CSTV, but that's only 7 channels. Looking at the list in thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/1183821-post209.html the chart that defergie put together that's 7 channels out of 57 national and movie channels, I didn't count the RSN's, PPV's or sports subscription channels. Then if you want you can add in 29 full/part time RSN's and 13 full/part time PPV channels.

No matter how you want to count it, unless you're using Dish network math, 7 channels out of all those is not a majority.

Scott, I've mentioned this before that I believe that you're biased towards Dish, but you alway come back an say that you're not, that you treat both the same. You may honestly think so but you keep saying things that make it sure sound other wise. In a prior pod cast you said something along the lines about 'coming back to us' in a reference to Dish. On this pod cast you said at about the 22:00 minute mark, in reference to DirecTV HD channel offerings:

"A majority of their HD channels, even thought they have HD versions of Cartoon and Nickoloden, and you know other channels, none of those channels show any HD on them"

Scott, I will agree that Nick, MTV, CMT, Cartoon, VH1, Fuel, CSTV, but that's only 7 channels. Looking at the list in thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/1183821-post209.html the chart that defergie put together that's 7 channels out of 57 national and movie channels, I didn't count the RSN's, PPV's or sports subscription channels. Then if you want you can add in 29 full/part time RSN's and 13 full/part time PPV channels.

No matter how you want to count it, unless you're using Dish network math, 7 channels out of all those is not a majority.

I don't believe Scott is biased toward Dish. No reason to be. He has both systems. I remember too that Prize Goddess wanted him to drop Dish because of the locals on Direct in his area.

lol. I remember people saying the same thing about Scott being biased toward Direct when all the hd was being launched last fall.

Dish is about to do some big things and I believe Scott is excited about it. Just like the rest of us!!

I don't believe Scott is biased toward Dish. No reason to be. He has both systems. I remember too that Prize Goddess wanted him to drop Dish because of the locals on Direct in his area.

lol. I remember people saying the same thing about Scott being biased toward Direct when all the hd was being launched last fall.

Dish is about to do some big things and I believe Scott is excited about it. Just like the rest of us!!

Just because he has both systems doesn't mean that he's not biased. How can someone say the majority of D*'s HD channels have no HD on them when it's not even close to be remotely accurate. People listen to these things and Scott has a good rep so when people thinking about going with D* hear comments like this from Scott and it could effect their decision.

Rad I just named a few channels off the top of my head that don't show HD, there is a lot more then 7.

Look in the forums for people wanting to drop Dish because they dont carry Comedy Central or Nick in HD while DirecTV does. When DirecTV doesnt really have it in HD either. Just because you label a channel as HD does not mean it is. In order to be an HD channel IT HAS TO SHOW HD.

So far its all just a numbers game. I am not saying DirecTV does not have more HD then Dish because that Untrue, but DirecTV has less HD then they advertise, and that my friend is a fact.

Rad I just named a few channels off the top of my head that don't show HD, there is a lot more then 7.

Look in the forums for people wanting to drop Dish because they dont carry Comedy Central or Nick in HD while DirecTV does. When DirecTV doesnt really have it in HD either. Just because you label a channel as HD does not mean it is. In order to be an HD channel IT HAS TO SHOW HD.

So far its all just a numbers game. I am not saying DirecTV does not have more HD then Dish because that Untrue, but DirecTV has less HD then they advertise, and that my friend is a fact.

Scott, please list the channel that you say, beyond those that I mentioned, that don't carry any HD. It's totally alright to call out the channels that DirecTV has up in HD without any HD content from the channel provide. But IMHO it's totally inaccurate to say the MAJORITY (your choice of word) do not carry ANY.

As you say, folks are looking to drop Dish because they don't carry such and such channel in HD, they hear your comment about the majority not having and HD and they make a decision based on incorrect information.

Rad,

How many of the HD channels on DirecTV have more the 4 hours of HD a week?

Your trying to cloud the facts. DirecTV is playng a numbers game by labeling channels as HD that have no HD content. But Dish is doing the same thing by saying they have 75 HD channels when they include all the RSNs which are not even channels and PPV.

Its all Marketing HYPE. When DirecTV has 100 REAL HD channels please let me know. And I will let you know when Dish really has 75 HD channels. I think we are still a ways off on both.

I urge anyone making a decission on which satellite company to take a look at what each company offers and see what's best for them.

Let's face it, DirecTV sucks and so does Dish Network. But what other choices are out there?

I think I know what my Multichannel News Column will be about on Friday now. And your correct people do listen to me. I am proud to be the most widely read regular feature at Multichannel. :)

You can whine and argue if you want, but I stick by my words.

;)
Rad,

How many of the HD channels on DirecTV have more the 4 hours of HD a week?

Your trying to cloud the facts. DirecTV is playng a numbers game by labeling channels as HD that have no HD content. But Dish is doing the same thing by saying they have 75 HD channels when they include all the RSNs which are not even channels and PPV.

Scott, now you're changing the rules in mid stream. My point was that you said that the majority of channels don't show ANY HD, not that they only show a small number of hours per week. Who's the one trying to cloud the facts in this thread now? Do the channels show a majority of their programming in HD, no, except for the 24x7 HD channels like NatGeo, Smithsonian and MGM most of the channels have a lot of programming that's not in HD, so where do you draw the line in determining when a channel can deserve to be called HD?

When you make blanket statements like you said in the pod cast you can help people make decisions based on incorrect information. In this pod cast you make it sound like people that have Dish now should just wait for this eastern arc project. This is something that's just rumors now at this point with guesses of the number of channels, satellite positions etc. And just because Dish might have all this new capacity coming online later this spring what's to say that Dish will add the HD channels that are out there now? So they can do 100 national HD channels, will they add Sci-Fi, which even you thought should have been up last year and can't say why it's not there now since there's the capacity. Sorry, but IMHO this just shows your bias towards Dish. Maybe we ought to see what ScoBuck has to say about all this;)

By all means if anyone wants to switch thats ultimatly up to you! I dont think scott is D* or E* biased.. I know there are a bunch of RSN's that dont do HD 24 / 7 like NESN does. But they count them all as a real hd channel. Were all excited about Eastern Arch as It will give Directv compitition. Thats what we want. A competition to bring us the best quality and Most channels. While, I understand that it wont be as good as FTAHD, Atleast make an attempt to make it look the best it can.

Also with what scott said about Mark, I dont think he is E* biased one bit. I think he was just telling it how it is. If I was running things, things would be diffrent. But you bet your bottom dollar I would have made some coustomers happy, as what dish is doing now, I would have done 4 years ago. I saw it then when I started the uplink reports but I was just a little peon at echostar.

When did D* claim to have Comedy Central in HD? That would be never. Some uninformed customers/potential customers claiming D* does is a completely different ballgame.

Of the HD channels D* does claim they have, only the 7 Rad listed have not shown any HD content yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts