Voom and my Onkyo 601

omard.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 16, 2003
Berwyn, Illinois
I need some help with choosing the correct setting on my receiver. I just bought my Onkyo 601 about a month ago and the receiver I had before was very basic. My question is there are so many settings on the receiver which one should I have it on when I watch Voom.?My options are

1.DTS
2.DTS-ES Discrete
3.Matrix 6.1
4.DTS Neo:6
5.Dolby Digital
6.Dolby Pro Logic II
7.Dolby Digital EX
and some others I think I need some help please.

5.Dolby Digital.

Here is the complete list off listening modes I can use.

1.Mono
2.Direct
3.Stereo
4.Theater-Dimensional
5.Dolby Pro Logic II
6.Dolby Digital
7.Dolby Digital EX
8.Dialog Norm
9.DTS Neo:6
10.DTS
11.DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
12.DTS-ES Matrix 6.1
13.DTS 96/24
14.Mono Movie
15.Enchance
16.Orchestra
17.Unplugged
18.Studio Mix
19.TV Logic
20.All Ch Stereo

It depends. If It's an HD channel set it to Dolby Digital 5.1 and if its not an HD channel set it to Dolby Pro Logic II.

I would think though that your receiver is smart enough to change to Dolby Digital 5.1 automatically if it detects an incoming signal. Mine does.

Bill

I believe that the Dolby Pro Logic II was made to convert a two channel stereo sound into 5.1 surround sound. I beleve this is what you will want to use when watching non HD channels. Your receiver should automatically switch to the Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding mode when you have on a Voom channel that carries true DD 5.1.

Isn't dolby digital EX better because it supports more than 5.1?

Dolby digital only works if you ad 2 side speakers which gives you 7.1. so unless you have the extra speakers Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES buys you nothing.

Bill

Thanks for all the replys. Let see if I got this right. I should leave it on Dolby pro logic II and then it will switch automaticallty Dolby Digital? Should I ever use any of the other setting they offer?

generally no you won't use the other formats. The DTS and DD formats will automatically be used if a device using that source is sent to it (DVD encoded with DTS, etc.)

try Rave or Rush. All of Voom's channels are 5.1. I like those 2 channels b/c they are very lively channels.

i have the 510 model. and when i switch to voom i leave it on dolby digital. when you are cyclyin through the settings and u get dolby digital pro logic music/movie instead ...it means the channel is not broadcasting pure dolby digital 5.1. If the channel is broadcasting pure 5.1 the reciever automatically takes off the pro logic.

like for discovery hd the pro logic comes on. but for all the voom channels it says dolby digital.

also..just cause its in dobly digital doesnt mean sound is going to come out of all 5 speakers. they can always leave those unwanted channels in silence and just have the 2 main channels.

when the source is in pure 5.1 dolby digital the reciever wont let you switch to anything else but stereo.

DTS is for dvds. atleast for now.

also i know u have a center rear speaker. i have one too. but i took it off and changed the speaker settings to five instead of 6. since theres no pure 6.1 sound mixing yet on anything. but u can always leave it on there and when the source is either pure dolby or dts you can switch to their 6.1 up mixin mode which is Dolby Digital Ex or DTS-ES

hope that helps. if i confused you, ask me and i will help you.

Omar I use the same exact receiver and as far as I can tell the receiver will autimatically switch to the appropriate setting for you. If you turn to a program where it is playing in 5.1 the he onkyo 6011 will change it to dolby digital. If you turn it to a program where it is in 2.0 then you will be able to change to a setting like pro logic. You will see the display change on the front of the onkyo by the way. In any case it's a great sounding receiver isn't it? :D

I have an 4-year old 595 Model that works exactly as babyj mentions, it automatically switches to Dolby when it senses the surround source from the SPDIF/Coax or Optical connector. I plan on upgrading to the 801 soon, let me know how you like the 601?

Oh, there are a few DVD's (62 I found so far) formatted in DTS-ES 6.1, including the 2002 version of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Collector's Edition and LOR 2 Towers - Platinum Edition (2002). I am waiting for the first 7.1 encoded disc's. :)

I love my 601 it sounds great. I'm just not used to all the differnt options. What setting do you guys have your receiver on when watching tv that is not in dd5.1? Genewildershair we have the same tv also.

Is there any channel with 5.1 right now? I have my receiver on and i was watching HBOHD and my receiver did not switch automatically to DD 5.1. Also I have Voom hooked up through coax which cd on my revceiver. Does that sound right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)