VOOM and OTA reception in Cleveland, OH

They are not giving us much HD at all! Except for certain programs in the evening, most of what we are seeing on 3.1 is stretched and upconverted SD.

Maybe we can convince them to shut off 3.2 and 3.3 when network prime time is on for the full benefit of 1080i. Maybe if the two of us "gang up" on them, they will relent and do so. Sure thing huh??

Well my VOOM reception problem has been solved. They swapped out the dish for another as the original had a small dent. My satellite signal quality is now 96. The installer also put my OTA antenna on an extension pole and the OTA signal quality is now 65 on all channels except 19. Everything has been working great for two days. Matt and the guys from Instant-lations really went the extra mile for me and I would recommend anyone in the local Cleveland area to request them for an installation.

Finally cancelled the premium movie channels on E*.

There should be a way to deselect 3.2 from the PG other than using favorites.

Glad to hear that, grumpy1. Happy VOOMing!

Hello Cleveland Area Voomers!

I live in Brunswick and I am about to make the switch from DirecTV to Voom. Please tell me your overall experience with Voom in the Cleveland area (PQ, installation, etc.).I look forward to participating in this forum.

Hi dtsfanohio -
My install was done by a company out of the Akron area back in November. That was really early for Voom and installers both, but the install went relatively problem free. There have been some problems, but nothing that I couldn't live with due to the fact that the service was free for several months. A couple of months ago I had a second generation unit installed by another company out of the Mansfield area. He really seemed to know his stuff about Voom and had the changeout done very quickly. This second unit pretty well took care of the problems I was having. Others talk about having problems that I rarely see, so from my point of view I couldn't be happier with Voom. I receive all of the local channels save for 61 and actually do most of my viewing on the local channels. But V* is there for me if there is nothing on the locals to watch. I say, go ahead and order. I don't feel that you can go wrong. They are still fine tuning but all will be fine in the near future. If you have any specific questions, will be glad to be of help.

Fayrich, Thank you for your reply. Have you experience the "poor" picture quality others have reported recently?

Just an occasional glitch here and there, but nothing of any real consequence. There was one night last week when all of the premium movie channels were messed up, but they were doing things and I have not seen any more problems since.

dtsfanohio said:
Hello Cleveland Area Voomers!

I live in Brunswick and I am about to make the switch from DirecTV to Voom. Please tell me your overall experience with Voom in the Cleveland area (PQ, installation, etc.).I look forward to participating in this forum.
dtsfanohio,
Welcome to the forum!
When is your install? Do you know which local installer is assigned to you? Make sure to get the phone number of your installer and call him one day before the install to make sure he has your equipment on hand.

I wil be in and out of town for the next few weeks but I plan to order around May 10, so I do not have an installer assigned yet. I live in Brunswick.

Well... I did it.. Voom ordered to replace DirecTV.. install is 5/5/04 possibility by ProStar Digital... any installer recommendations for Cleveland area? I want to try to avoid an install fiasco!

ProStar Digital is good! They do a lot of VOOM installations throughout the state. I think it was Matt from ProStar, who replaced my box a couple of months ago. He knew VOOM very well. He was even able to reconnect all the cables without reading the labels - which impressed me very much! :)

But as with any other installer, make sure to call them 1 day in advance and verify that they have your box ready. This may save you a wasted day...

Also, figure out your azimuth and elevation, at least approximately, and make sure you have a clear sky.

An update... I received my install notice today. It will be ProStar Digitial. FRom what everyone says, they are competent.

Looks like they just added one more channel to Cleveland OTA map:

61.1 WQHS-DT (UNI)
Not that I personally care much about this Spanish channel, but some might. The more channels the better!

Yeh, I saw it last night also. However, only receiving audio--no video. Anyone else seeing the same thing? And while I'm here, has anyone else noticed the pixelization on CH3 during fast movement? Have never noticed this on any other channel.

Ilya,

I took your advice and called Prostar today. My Cleveland Metro install is set for May 3 afternoon. It will be done by John or Jason according to the Prostar lady.

It actually worked fine for some time (though my signal quality on 61.1 was pretty low), but then as you said, it went black. Could be a local transmission issue...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)