VOOM and OTA reception in Cleveland, OH

Just bought a Square Shooter and was trying it out yesterday. Unfortunately did not do the job for me. Some channels fine and others not at all. Might work for you though. My house seems to be located right in the middle of a "reception hell hole". Have had nothing but problems with OTA reception in the nearly 30 years I have lived here. It takes a combination of 3 antennas and a preamp to get a decent signal on "most" of the locals. Tried the Square Shooter out of desperation, but ended up putting it back in the box.

Just had Voom insatlled yesterday and after a dead box and a bad diplexer everything is working great. I'm in Seven Hills, only 3 miles from the furthest tower using a channel master 3080. I get all locals. The guy from Insta Lations (out of Akron I think) was knowledgable. I had to to explain to him about the bad diplexer info I found on this site. Once the new software downloaded to the box, everything came together.

Welcome aboard, dolby1!
Glad to hear everything works. Enjoy your VOOM!

Yes, welcome dolby1. Good to hear that your install went well. Have not previously heard anything about your installer, but sounds like he came prepared and pretty much knew what he was doing. Is Ch19 stable for you? It's my "problem child", and I just can't get it 100% of the time. Again, welcome and happy Vooming.

Thanks for the big welcome!
Channel 19 so far has been fine. I am starting to notice audio but no video when I change to some channels. I thought I read about his somewhere, but do not remember where. Is this a common problem and can it be fixed?

FAYRICH said:
Just bought a Square Shooter and was trying it out yesterday. Unfortunately did not do the job for me. Some channels fine and others not at all. Might work for you though. My house seems to be located right in the middle of a "reception hell hole". Have had nothing but problems with OTA reception in the nearly 30 years I have lived here. It takes a combination of 3 antennas and a preamp to get a decent signal on "most" of the locals. Tried the Square Shooter out of desperation, but ended up putting it back in the box.

Have you tried any of the antennaes from Radio Shack? Not sure how much you are willing to spend, but I got the VU-120 XR (Cat # 15-2154) and I pick up all of the locals. I live in Wellington, which is extreme Southwest of Cleveland, and have no problems getting reception.

Yeh, this audio and no video problem still happens occasionally, but changing channels again and then returning cures it. Used to be much worse with the original software than it is now. Will probably get taken care of with the new software download which is due to happen at any time now. As far as using a RS antenna goes, I have gone that route over the years and personally find their antennas to be the very worst. It's just my location I guess. Think that my house must be built on the gates of hell. Thank goodness that I am able to do well with satellite.

i'm getting voom on 6/22

i'm getting VOOM installed on tues. 6/22...i'll report back and let y'all know how it went...

*Very excited*

bye-bye COX!

Make sure to get in touch with your installer on Monday. Verify that he has your equipment on hand.
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Ilya!

For OTA: should I have the installer run a separate set of cables for that? I'm getting a 2-room installation and if it affects signal quality, I'd like to have that, but if it costs $$$ I won't have it done.

Thanks!

dlayphoto said:
For OTA: should I have the installer run a separate set of cables for that?
Up to you. I would. My overall cable run was relatively short, so my installer didn't charge me anything extra.

dlayphoto said:
i'm getting VOOM installed on tues. 6/22...i'll report back and let y'all know how it went...

*Very excited*

bye-bye COX!
Cool, definitely keep us informed on how it goes. I am continuosly monitoring all of the Cleveland area HD providers. Things can change so fast from one provider to the next, and I always want to have the latest info to get the HD programing that best suits my viewing habbits. Hopefully VOOM will continue to provide great HD, so my current provider feels the pressure and strives to keep up.

VOOM was supposed to get installed today between 8-12...Pro Star called at 9:30; told me their Cleveland tech called off, rescheduled for the 28th...I was so pissed, I called VOOM, they told me it was overbooked, and they gave me my first month free, so all I pay for at activation is $9.50/box rental fee+tax...

So basically Pro Star lied and VOOM took care of the problem...thanks VOOM!

my installation has been rescheduled AGAIN...this time it's wednesday between 12-5...i called VOOM and they gave me another month free...ProStar is REALLY starting to PISS ME OFF...

Guess it's about time that Installs Inc. found someone else to do the Cleveland area work. But hey, 2 months for free. Not hard to take. Good luck for Wednesday.

Hello! First time poster and lurker for a few months....I am hopefully getting VOOM installed on Friday and its through Prostar also! I called to confirm the appointment twice and so far so good. Although the above posts aren't to promising. Hopefully I can get locals here since I am so far away from the towers. I would guess 50 miles away. I will keep ya posted on the outcome. By the way this is a great site!!!

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your install.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)