VOOM and Sears in Northboro, Ma.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lobstah

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 6, 2004
This weekend while my wife and I were at the mall, we decided to stop by Sears and see if they had VOOM on display.

We walked in to the Home Theater section, and spoke with the salesperson responsible for that area. This was on Sunday afternoon, around 3pm. Mall was VERY busy, probably due to the cold, rainy weather in New England this weekend.

I asked if they were demo'ing VOOM and he said yes, and directed us to a corner of the Home Theater section, pointing to a 50" set that was about 2' above "eye-level". First thing I noticed was that ALL of the RPTV's on display were showing the same hockey game as the "VOOM Set".
The next thing I noticed was that the PQ of the channel was terrible, some sets worse than others, but ALL of them terrible, with nothing even approaching what the PQ of any HD channel should be.

I asked if we could maybe change the channel and was told no, because it was a satellite channel. My wife chimed in and said that since VOOM carried so many channels, and the box was right up there on the shelf (out of reach) that there should certainly be a way to view the other channels.
The sales person called over another sales person, who explained that VOOM wasn't working, even though the VOOM rep had been there on Saturday. I asked if the box was actually the source for what we were watching, and he admitted that no, it was not, and in fact, the source was not even HD.

A bit dissapointing, since I had hoped that we could play with the unit a bit, and my wife might enjoy/realize that all that HD content would be really nice to have.

The guys staffing that display barely knew how to spell "HD"...and most of the people shopping there weren't much better off. An earlier thread mentioned that VOOM might be working with Tweeter soon. I hope that's the case, because it's a much more targeted audience, and I think they'd sign a LOT more people up in that environment. Around here, you go to Sears for washing machines, lawn mowers, and socket wrenches. You go to Tweeter or Best Buy for audio/video equipment.

Lob

I really do hope that Voom will start using more, and better, retailers. Here in the D.C. metro area hardly anyone buys electronics at Sears. There are too many more qualified competitors to shop. It would also allow me to send friends and associates somewhere other than my Rec room.

I was in Tweeter and Circuit City a few weeks ago. Talked with some guys about HD. They looked at me like I had 3 heads when I mentioned Voom. Hopefully now that the adds are running that will no longer be the case. After all, I only have 2 heads. :eek:

Even if Sears had had Voom working(which is seldom the case anywhere), you would only have been able to see 1 or 2 of their channels. Unfortunately they are the only game in town at the present time. I was able to see the unit when I ordered last October, but that was all. Did not work at all in my local Sears store. I was PO'd enough at Directv that I took the gamble and have not regretted it for a moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)