Voom..Are you still happy it's gone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, their's evidence to back up what Charlie said, although I don't believe him entirely, either. For one day, he had 5 Vooms still on the air. I agree, it will be interesting to see Dish's response. I suspect even you ardent Voomers will be forced to admit to yourself that Dish does have a few legitimate gripes about the way Voom programming was handled.
I think that was Charlie playing "Uncle". He kept up what we was willing to keep up. It does not appear he had any "right" to break up the 15 channels. Voom said all 15, so Charlie had to take down the last 5. And I dont think he had the legal right to take down any, but we shall see. (guess he can take them down((as he obviously has)), perhaps, as long as he still pays Voom every month- which he hasnt, apparently, done since February). I think Voom will put forth some sort of damages claim for disruption of service/customer confusion/damage to brand, etc.

Actually, I miss Voom at lot less than I thought I would. I only have so much time in the day to watch tv and I have no problem filling up that time with the HD that is on all of the other channels.

As for me, Yes Dish does have some merit , but the way it was handled was wrong. I Have stated that Voom should Come back in a condensed form. 15 channels was great when no one else was doing Hd, but thing have changed. Yes the landscape changed but the contract is in place. The only problem of course is the contract Dish and Voom both sighed. You have to agree Dish should not just be able to cut ties with no Legimate reason. If Dish states fact to show they were correct, I will be one of the first to write Dish was right all along.. I have no problem with that. I just feel that Dish, bends the rules sometimes to get what they want or to stretch someone into submission with the long legal process.(ask TiVo) Sorry if I find hard to understand how people, just because they did not care for Voom think it is okay for Dish to do this. I would feel the same if they did this with any other Hd channel or channels. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to this, But as of right now when I see the current facts and disgard the rumors, Voom is ahead on points. This could change, And dish can clear this all up. I can understand why many of you disliked Voom, but it is a matter of taste. All that is important to me is one of my favorite channels disappeared without any warning(I had to hear it here,never from dish until afterwards). How would you feel if you woke up one morning and fill in favorite channel here was gone? I much rather both sides sit down and work something out, I know Scott said it not going to Happen but I can hope.

I think that was Charlie playing "Uncle". He kept up what we was willing to keep up. It does not appear he had any "right" to break up the 15 channels. Voom said all 15, so Charlie had to take down the last 5. And I dont think he had the legal right to take down any, but we shall see. (guess he can take them down((as he obviously has)), perhaps, as long as he still pays Voom every month- which he hasnt, apparently, done since February). I think Voom will put forth some sort of damages claim for disruption of service/customer confusion/damage to brand, etc.

Well, under the affiliation agreement, he didn't have the right to force Voom to drop individual channels. However, he did have the right to drop all Voom channels as Voom didn't meet the spending requirement, at least according to Dish. Perhaps Charlie was trying to be reasonable and keep the channels he though was worthwhile. At least to me, it sounds reasonable. It sounds to me like the majority of you wouldn't be nearly as disappointed if Monsters, Rave, and Equator were still around. So yes, an aggressive negotiation tactic, but one better than the alternative we got.

Well, under the affiliation agreement, he didn't have the right to force Voom to drop individual channels. However, he did have the right to drop all Voom channels as Voom didn't meet the spending requirement, at least according to Dish. Perhaps Charlie was trying to be reasonable and keep the channels he though was worthwhile. At least to me, it sounds reasonable. It sounds to me like the majority of you wouldn't be nearly as disappointed if Monsters, Rave, and Equator were still around. So yes, an aggressive negotiation tactic, but one better than the alternative we got.

Agreed! What's the point of these threads? Voom is not coming back on E*.

I agree as well. I would gladly accept the reduced version of Voom.

I am happy Charlie wanted to keep the 5, I just wish he kept them up there whether Voom said no or not. Voom is stupid too for telling them to take them all down.

Vooms importance in switching is WAY overstated. Most switching to D* will continue to do so for more channels AND better PQ (D* getting Voom would be a sidenote)

Way overstated? This is something that can probably never be proven one way or the other unless Direct puts up the VOOM package. I don't think it's overstated at all since Direct and Dish are working towards being pretty much clones of one another so only some specialized programming (like VOOM) will differentiate one from the other.

Last edited:
Was VOOM as passionate about original content on DISH as they were when they were a standalone service?

Not really. They went from a standalone service with 34,000 subs to being carried on the #2 satellite provider with subscribers in the millions. The fact that they went repetitive despite the additional exposure and increased subscriber count tells me they killed the golden goose.

VOOM slapped many of their viewers in the face when they failed to keep the production of new content up to the same level as they did pre-DISH.

Regarding how many subs have left because of VOOM'c demise and how many are going to stay, you're probably right.
However, if VOOM (and this is not likely due to Charlie's 20 percent ownership of VOOM he wouldn't allow it) suddenly showed up on Direct TV, then how many subs do you think would switch?
I know I would because to quote another who posted in this thread, those of us who like and miss VOOM would again have a choice.

One other thought. If VOOM were on both services, would Charlie have dared to pull the plug?

probably not.

I'm still trying to figure out why some hate Voom so much. I will admit from Nov-March the repeats got very annoying. To the point that I sent emails to them on a weekly basis. In late March things started to go back to normal. Voom had a huge variety of programming. How could someone not find anything to DVR once in awhile? I get very little enjoyment out of these new hd channels. To me they are not worth the $ I am paying. Mgm is nice and a few others but most are a year or more off from being ready to be an hd channel. Once I got hd back in 2001-2 I never continued to watch channels like Scifi and Bravo. I just don't get into most of these 2nd tier channels that E* added.

Vooms importance in switching is WAY overstated. Most switching to D* will continue to do so for more channels AND better PQ (D* getting Voom would be a sidenote)

I do agree with your statements. D* has better pq, more hd, more sport packages, 100% better marketing, and one dish. Why would anyone choose E*? Voom would help somewhat but in the end D* would get the subscribers. Now E* doesn't have Voom so the only advantage they did have is gone.

I do agree with your statements. D* has better pq, more hd, more sport packages, 100% better marketing, and one dish. Why would anyone choose E*? Voom would help somewhat but in the end D* would get the subscribers. Now E* doesn't have Voom so the only advantage they did have is gone.

Honestly, I guess Im a crazy one. I dropped D* when I moved in late March because I missed the 622 (got a 722 this go around) and as far as Im concerned, the HD only pack is the best deal in tv. I've paid $85/mo for the last few years, so this $51 bill is very NICE.

That being said, if E* doesnt get it together by Sept or so, I may jump back. I didnt buy a $2500 plasma to have sub par PQ. Id also like FIOS to support my area :)

Honestly, I guess Im a crazy one. I dropped D* when I moved in late March because I missed the 622 (got a 722 this go around) and as far as Im concerned, the HD only pack is the best deal in tv. I've paid $85/mo for the last few years, so this $51 bill is very NICE.

That being said, if E* doesnt get it together by Sept or so, I may jump back. I didnt buy a $2500 plasma to have sub par PQ. Id also like FIOS to support my area :)

I agree with you. I also have direc tv just for the sports. Picture is better.
But their DVr is far inferior.

But they way im feeling towards dish has me leaning elsewhere.

They just dont give a damn about thier subs. How much more obvious can it
get.

Status
Please reply by conversation.