Voom channels "Hard to stomach"

Even though people might not like or watch all the VOOM channels, the network offers a wide variety of viewing entertainment for many people. VOOM should remain as is. As far as new HD channels go, I think E* should add only the premium movie channels at this point. All the other channels have very little HD content, many are stretched and distorted, some have the hated pop ups, banners, snipes and bugs and others are loaded with commercials and repeat programming that can be viewed on other channels. Since D* took the lead on adding these not so HD channels, let them mature a little before E* makes the move to add them. I think E* should use whatever available bandwidth it has to improve the picture quality of the HD channels it already has today instead of adding more.

I am still with E. If you do not like it, go to D! !sadroll

I actually wish I had the option to explore that. I have the 622, and I love it as a DVR. But I've been with Dish for about 4 months now, and i'm under contact and also have Center Ice. I have to stick it out.

Overall, if E* fails to make changes I think the marketplace will sort this all out very quickly.

While the whole D* E* debate is annoying when we're talking about watching mostly 4:3 480i programs upconverted onto an "HD"channel I will throw in my 2 cents that getting rid of the Voom channels is a bad idea. While I am not going to be watching Groove, Gallery, Equator, Treasure, or Ultra (5 channels) I have watched the others many of times. That said I don't think I've ever watched anything on HDNet so why not combine that with HDNet movies? (I wouldn't want that either and thats sarcastic but seeing as how thats what people want with the voom channels why not do that as well?)

Get rid of VOOM! I NEVER watch them and yet I have to pay for them! I understood that while other stations didn't have any HD counterpart, but I'd rather watch good programming on "stretchovision" (which is better than SD, imo) than watch the crap that's on any VOOM network!

Maybe instead of issuing sacrifices...we should get on Dish's A** and ask them where our new HD channels are. They have stated over and over that they are the leader in HD...They are committed to being the leader...If so, why haven't they added much recently compared to Directv. I would easily get rid of some of the Voom channels, but why? We shouldn't have to this early in the game. We should be a bit patient though because we have had it pretty good for a while (maybe even spoiled). As soon as Directv gets some channels in HD, we are all up in arms. I am extemely amused at the addition of Speed HD that will not have any HD until next Febuary as stated in their PRESS RELEASE earlier this month. If anything, we should offer up all the SD channels for HD channels.

Maybe instead of issuing sacrifices...we should get on Dish's A** and ask them where our new HD channels are. They have stated over and over that they are the leader in HD...They are committed to being the leader...If so, why haven't they added much recently compared to Directv. I would easily get rid of some of the Voom channels, but why? We shouldn't have to this early in the game. We should be a bit patient though because we have had it pretty good for a while (maybe even spoiled). As soon as Directv gets some channels in HD, we are all up in arms. I am extemely amused at the addition of Speed HD that will not have any HD until next Febuary as stated in their PRESS RELEASE earlier this month. If anything, we should offer up all the SD channels for HD channels.

Agree with all except the patience part :) I havent been with Dish enough to appreciate the lead Dish had for a few years. I never benefited from that.

Just because people here say they want X-hd channel now, doesn't mean there is critical mass to add the channel. The people here are a very small sample of the total subscriber base. The majority of people are happy with their SD channels, watching it on their 27" analog tv and the rest of the non-technical subscriber base who get HD don't have a clue what they are seeing anyway. As long as it looks good to them and it fills the screen, they think it's HD.

There is no reason to dump any of the Voom channels. Every bit of the programming is real HD which is impossible to say about near all the other HD channels.

Now you may say it's all repeats but so is everything on nearly all the other HD channels including ones you have to pay extra for.

You say that your favorite channel isn't on because Voom is hogging bandwidth? Ridiculous.
You have three issues facing most of the new HD channels D* is so cool in having:
1. No real HD content - 2 shows or less and they are reruns and chock full of commercials
2. No real viewership - has CNN broken 1 million viewers in say the last 10 years?
3. High cost - The only really desireable channels have their providers trying to get high dollar for a contract on their channel and / or trying to force the addition of several of their loser channels.

In conclusion, while discussion is what forums are all about, there is a difference between discussion and thinly veiled E* bashing laced with whining, snivelling, and a decided inability to address anything other than what you want, all others be hanged.

Dump Voom channels? Nah. Use the Ignore User forum tool? Looks like it is time!

I might have been the only one, but I really enjoyed WorldSports coverage of the Pan-American Games. I am a track and field coach and really enjoyed their coverage of the events.

Well - I read thru the thread - and I won't be back. One of the most useless discussions in this entire place.

Why do people argue about what is only a personal preference? There isn't any right or wrong here. For gosh sakes there must be 10 shopping channels - now THOSE ARE A WASTE OF SPACE.

Well - I read thru the thread - and I won't be back. One of the most useless discussions in this entire place.

Why do people argue about what is only a personal preference? There isn't any right or wrong here. For gosh sakes there must be 10 shopping channels - now THOSE ARE A WASTE OF SPACE.

I guess one can argue that your comment is personal and is a waste of space too. Shopping channels pay DBS providers for carrying their channels.

I guess one can argue that your comment is personal and is a waste of space too. Shopping channels pay DBS providers for carrying their channels.

No argument - it is a personal preference. My point exactly.

There is NO right OR wrong answer. Just endless personal preference.

Why get rid of Voom when E* wastes so much bandwidth on sports? And think of the savings if E* got rid of HD locals where I don't live. I NEVER watch those.

Is Voom the best programming out there? Of course not. But it is better than average, and it is a lot better than the stretchovision channels. Why doesn't D* carry them if they are quality channels? It is because they have no brand recognition. The only people who seek out Voom are those who have spent some time watching Voom, and that group small and largely spoken for. You ask the average person if they'd rather have TNT HD or Rave HD, and the vote would not even be close. Its not because TNT HD is better than Rave HD. It is because people have heard of TNT.

Would I trade certain specific Voom channels for certain specific non-Voom channels? Sure. That could be said of just about any grouping of channels.

Voom is hit and miss. I still think a few channels should be combined (same material, just fewer repeats) but I would rather have it as it stands now than not at all. However as more HD channels come online its going to be harder for Voom to compete. They are going to lose viewers unless there are changes. Hopefully that doesnt mean commercials because of money problems like some channels have done. Sure people will still tune in. But if Voom wants to remain viable then it will have to adjust. Thats the way it should be.

And yes all this about Voom has been talked to death.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts