Voom channels "Hard to stomach"

Cold Irons

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 7, 2005
Fredericksburg, VA
There is no reason to dump any of the Voom channels. Every bit of the programming is real HD which is impossible to say about near all the other HD channels.

Now you may say it's all repeats but so is everything on nearly all the other HD channels including ones you have to pay extra for.

You say that your favorite channel isn't on because Voom is hogging bandwidth? Ridiculous.
You have three issues facing most of the new HD channels D* is so cool in having:
1. No real HD content - 2 shows or less and they are reruns and chock full of commercials
2. No real viewership - has CNN broken 1 million viewers in say the last 10 years?
3. High cost - The only really desireable channels have their providers trying to get high dollar for a contract on their channel and / or trying to force the addition of several of their loser channels.

In conclusion, while discussion is what forums are all about, there is a difference between discussion and thinly veiled E* bashing laced with whining, snivelling, and a decided inability to address anything other than what you want, all others be hanged.

Dump Voom channels? Nah. Use the Ignore User forum tool? Looks like it is time!

Amen, Amen, Amen!

I watch & enjoy a number of the Voom channels (Filmfest, Monsters, Rave, Rush, World), and there are a number that I never watch.

I cannot remember the last time that I watched USA-SD, certainly don't care about the same commercial laden crap in HD. Only very rarely watch SciFi, but HD would make this more attractive. Almost never watch CNN-SD.

I don't see the D* channels as being much of a draw, and I can wat a bit for E* to get them....in the meantime, I'll check out a HD Skiing show on Rush (while the D* folks are watching the USA strech-o-vision & marvelling at the "HD").

drummerguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 5, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I wouldn't want to see any of the channels go away, per se, because there's going to be someone out there who likes them. But I also agree that the content of most of the channels should be combined:

Treasure and Gallery
Kung Fu and Monsters
Animania and Family Room
Rush and World Sport
FilmFest and World Cinema

That would allow for five more HD channels, and no sacrifice in content (just less repetition).

EricBskiVT

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 25, 2007
This has all been very entertaining, but to me it boils down to this: there are plenty of folks who like several of the Voom channels (count me in) and plenty who don't. For those who don't, just don't watch them. All of the packages have stuff that I am not interested in and I just don't watch them. Problem solved.
Now there is going to be the argument that V* keeps other HD from being added. That doesn't hold water until E* is out of bandwidth and they are not.
Channels that we don't like are the reason we have custom Favorites lists.
The biggest irritant to me is commercials and that is why I have a DVR.
(Ducking back into foxhole)

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
Okay repeats of crap are still crap. Just because the crap is in HD doesnt make it any less smelly or disgusting.
Exactly how I feel. Voom has virtually nothing that interests me, whether it is in HD or not, and I haven't watched any of the Voom channels in well over a year. In the early days of HD, it was cool to have Voom to show off HD capabilities, but now I'm more interested in content than presentation.

FitzAusTex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 3, 2007
Austin, TX
I hate to break to to you. But if you take the amount of people who watch these compared to the amount of people who could do without it... it wouldnt be a very unfriendly number.

Voom was acquired as a way to build an HD inventory up fast when there was very little out there. It has outlived its usefulness.

Has not!!!!

ScoBuck

'Just Chillin'
Supporting Founder
Jul 11, 2006
Long Island, NY
This is not only a D* or E* argument when it comes to the public's awareness of VOOM - and its desirability by the pay providers. There are really 2 bigger questions I never can get a good answer to.

1) Why did it take CABLEVISION over 2 years from VOOM NETWORKS demise for them to carry even 1 VOOM channel on any of their systems? They just added it, so it certainly was NOT a bandwidth issue. This certainly would have provided a great deal of brand awareness - and a huge portion of it in the DMA where DISH is very weak due to its non-carriage of the YES network. For gosh sakes this is THEIR own product!

2) Why doesn't ANY other U.S. provider carry it?

It has to be that they don't see that package (and it is a package of 15 HD channels) is worth it - not the way it is packaged today. Perhaps they would feel there would be some merit in getting some VOOM programming onto other systems if the package was only 4 or 5 channels.

I think DISH should keep it - they have people that like it and have subbed to them for its programming.

The continuing argument about the amount of HD programming on some of these new channels is a bit ridiculous though. Don't you all remember the birth of ESPN-HD? And then the repeat with the launch of ESPN2-HD? Don't you remember that they ALSO still had to build out studios? Sports Center was in SD when that channel launched. Still today there is programming on those channels that is not in HD. Who cares? We need these channels to have homes on the pay systems so that they NEED to step up HD programming production. Having it on BOTH D* and E* only makes that move even faster.

I still can't believe how much SD is still on ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX as well. But getting the HD channel launched shows a comittment from those channels to get with it - and the ones that do it best and fastest will garner the largest audiences. You have to be in it to win it - don't you?

BFG

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2004
Orlando
the most i ever watched voom was when they had 007, best thing that happenend to them

but now those are cropping up on mgm

FitzAusTex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 3, 2007
Austin, TX
Get rid of VOOM! I NEVER watch them and yet I have to pay for them! I understood that while other stations didn't have any HD counterpart, but I'd rather watch good programming on "stretchovision" (which is better than SD, imo) than watch the crap that's on any VOOM network!

I like my crap on Voom. I could do without the crap that you watch, so let's get rid of 15 of the channels you watch every day. If Voom is crap to you, then I KNOW what you watch is crap.

adavis720

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 15, 2007
Isn't the goal MORE HD?

Until someone can very that the reason E* doesn't have USA HD or SCI FI HD or any of the other channels is due to bandwidth restrictions this thread is useless.

As I understood it the hold up was due to $ and cents not 0's and 1's...

Can anyone chime in here that is in the know?

Minsk1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 19, 2005
Muskego, WI
Exactly how I feel. Voom has virtually nothing that interests me, whether it is in HD or not, and I haven't watched any of the Voom channels in well over a year. In the early days of HD, it was cool to have Voom to show off HD capabilities, but now I'm more interested in content than presentation.

Ok, I am for content too. Now, please, educate me what content on new D* stretched or uprezed channels is better. Take for ex. Weather HD, CNN HD, Bravo HD.
I know only of Monk on USA because of UniversalHD repeits.

ScoBuck

'Just Chillin'
Supporting Founder
Jul 11, 2006
Long Island, NY
IIRC, Chase Carey said in one of the recent phone conference call that they really don't have much if any additional cost for carrying the HD versions of these channels. I can't imagine it its the money.

TulsaCoker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 15, 2006
Tulsa, Ok

I don't see the D* channels as being much of a draw, and I can wat a bit for E* to get them....in the meantime, I'll check out a HD Skiing show on Rush (while the D* folks are watching the USA strech-o-vision & marvelling at the "HD").

So if there was Skiing in SD you would watch it? I don't think so. Your watching it because it's in HD. Same can be said about USA-HD, SciFi etc.

TulsaCoker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 15, 2006
Tulsa, Ok
Ok, I am for content too. Now, please, educate me what content on new D* stretched or uprezed channels is better. Take for ex. Weather HD, CNN HD, Bravo HD.
I know only of Monk on USA because of UniversalHD repeits.

The only channel you listed that so far I have not seen any HD content on is Bravo.

NightRyder

1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
NW Oregon
This horse is dead, many times over. This thread serves no purpose than to rehash the same old arguments over again.

NightRyder

thedamaja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 6, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'll take Smithsonian and MGM on E* and trade Ultra and Treasure HD

D* can keep the rest. I have no interest in the SD versions now and wouldn't watch just because it has HD in the channel name.

Okay, if USA still had Wings I'd be all over it.

Antonio Scarpacci HD FTW!

ScoBuck

'Just Chillin'
Supporting Founder
Jul 11, 2006
Long Island, NY
Here you are wrong Sco ,Optimun Cable had VOOM in their line up from sometime ago.

Optimum - Channel Lineups

Obviously you don't know that Optimum IS CABLEVISION - and I said they added it recently (actually only 4 months ago as I said).

From my post:
1) Why did it take CABLEVISION over 2 years from VOOM NETWORKS demise for them to carry even 1 VOOM channel on any of their systems? They just added it, so it certainly was NOT a bandwidth issue. This certainly would have provided a great deal of brand awareness - and a huge portion of it in the DMA where DISH is very weak due to its non-carriage of the YES network. For gosh sakes this is THEIR own product! http://www.satelliteguys.us/cable...47-voom-hd-coming-june-26th-through-28th.html

Apology already accepted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts