VOOM DVI and Sony HDTVs

notcat2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
I hope this isn't beating a dead horse but I'd like to get some feedback from anyone using a Sony HDTV along with Voom's DVI output.

My results are unwatchable, no picture period. I bought a Dual Link DVI cable from Pacific Cable and as far as I know my 6 month old Sony Grand Wega IIIxbr Lcd rear projection HDtv is HDCP/HDMI compliant. If I downscale the Voom receiver to a 480p output I can get a picture.

I wanted some feedback on this just to find out if anybody who has my exact model tv is watching Voom with DVI. I emailed Voom's customer support and they mentioned some compatibility issues with Vooms DVI and some HDTVs, although specific models were not cited.

Anyone using this combo? Sony GWIIIxbr and Voom DVI

thanks in advance,

nc3

Non-XBR 60" and no problems.

No picture or snow?

If its snow then I'd say defective cable.

I have a 60" GWII XBR with DVI and it is working fine. I guess you tried both 720p and 1080i? Did you try Native Resolution? What is the native resolution of the GWII XBR? Mine is 768p and it can take either 720p or 1080i.

I have a Sony 57ws500 and DVI works but it looks washed out. I'
ve tried adjusting the settings but can't get it right so I just watch through component.

My 50" GWIII (non-XBR) works great! No issues with DVI whatsoever. Works in any resolution. Try a different DVI cable.

I have a 42inch LCD rear projector. I use the supplied DVI and its perfect.

(Prior to that I had used a Monster Cable DVI cable) - Because the picture quality is the same with the Voom supplied cable, I returned the Monster Cable back to Best Buy. $90 bucks back in my wallet. :D

I'm using a Sony 53" (forgot the model for now) and I'm using DVI. A bought a 15' DVI off eBay to add some flexibility to my layout and it's looking G R E A T so far.

:confused: Using a Sony wega xbr 36inch HD 1 year old tube set.
I am using DVI cable supplies at fixed 1080I on set
and I am not happy with quality vs. Component cables.
The components have a better color and are sharper.
The DVI color is washed out but clear.
I have both set to VIVID color and have not messed with any other setting on TV.

I thought DVI was supposed to be better then rgb components.
am I doing something wrong or is DVI cable loosing colors.? :confused:

iceshark said:
:confused: Using a Sony wega xbr 36inch HD 1 year old tube set.
I am using DVI cable supplies at fixed 1080I on set
and I am not happy with quality vs. Component cables.
The components have a better color and are sharper.
The DVI color is washed out but clear.
I have both set to VIVID color and have not messed with any other setting on TV.

I thought DVI was supposed to be better then rgb components.
am I doing something wrong or is DVI cable loosing colors.? :confused:

Man where to begin... First off, you really should'nt use vivid mode, I know, I know, it's a matter of opinion, but it's my opinion that it is just plain ugly! So much edge enhancement going on with that mode that it just distorts the picture, and makes all the edges appear jagged, (especially noticable on text). Second, you really should calibrate settings for both DVI, and component. Do not just assume just by switching to DVI you will suddenly get a better picture quality using the same settings as components. Take my advice please, and at least try this... go into movie mode, adjust picture settings, ie...color,contrast, hue, etc... for DVI. get the picture looking good to your eyes. Now go into pro mode, and adjust your components to that setting, and get that looking good to your eyes. Now compare them, if DVI still looks a little washed out, and colors are not as vibrant as the component setting, simply turn up the color on the DVI setting. do this for each picture setting, and you should at least be able to get as good a picture with DVI, as you do with components. If you can't, then there is something wrong with your set up somewhere, (it *may* be your DVI cable, tv, or STB?) But I am sure nothings wrong there, and you'll be able to get it. This even goes for my D* STB, DVI also looks different from the components using the same picture settings. They both need to be calibrated properly! I use to think that the picture was washed out using DVI when I first got HD with Directv, until someone gave me this same advice. I have got my picture to look much better with using DVI on my Sony tv, that I really don't want to go back to component. Just trying to help out... :D

This very well may be a dvi cable issue. I did not use the supplied cable that came with the receiver because of it's length. I need about 15ft. so I had bought a 5 meter from Pacific Cable. So before I call technical support I will relocate the Voom receiver and try the supplied dvi cable. If I have the same results I will assume the receiver has a bad DVI port. I can get a picture when I step down to 480, the other higher resolution settings are just garbled video (black with green squiggly lines, etc.) no audio.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

thanks,

nc2

I have a Sony KP57SW500 hook up to DVI with no problem in the Vivid mode and Component for D*. I have had no edge enhansement problem in the Vivid mode. HD=Voom

pdqbobe said:
I have a Sony KP57SW500 hook up to DVI with no problem in the Vivid mode and Component for D*. I have had no edge enhansement problem in the Vivid mode. HD=Voom

eh, I'm not saying it's really a problem, but just an opinion, that *most* Sony HDTV owners have about the vivid mode being ugly, becaus eof it's edge enhancment. It's a fact that it's really pronounced on that mode. Just pull up the channel info screen, and look at the text, then switch between Vivid, and go down to pro mode, and see the difference. That's where you can notice it right away, but if you look harder you can also see the difference in movies and programs too. I just prefer to use something with little SVM, (or edge enhancement). But again it's a matter of opinion, if you like it that's fine, but in any case the DVI setting should always be calibrated apart from the component setting. They will always look different if you use the same picture settings for both, regardless of what mode you are using. BTW...Here is a brief discription of what it is, and why a lot of us Sony HDTV owners don't like it:

"SVM is one of the many tricks manufacturers use to get more light out of a picture tube, at the cost of real picture detail. It changes the speed or velocity of the beam as it is scanned from the left to the right side of the picture. In the process, it distorts real picture detail, causing dark areas of the picture on light backgrounds to be reproduced much larger than normal and light areas on dark backgrounds to be reproduced much smaller than normal. When the beam spends more time "writing" light areas, the phosphors receive more energy and produce more light output. The fact that this will contribute to phosphor blooming, as well as detail distortion seems to be lost on a number of manufacturers calling it a "feature"."

GeneWildershair said:
Man where to begin... First off, you really should'nt use vivid mode, I know, I know, it's a matter of opinion, but it's my opinion that it is just plain ugly! So much edge enhancement going on with that mode that it just distorts the picture, and makes all the edges appear jagged, (especially noticable on text). Second, you really should calibrate settings for both DVI, and component. Do not just assume just by switching to DVI you will suddenly get a better picture quality using the same settings as components. Take my advice please, and at least try this... go into movie mode, adjust picture settings, ie...color,contrast, hue, etc... for DVI. get the picture looking good to your eyes. Now go into pro mode, and adjust your components to that setting, and get that looking good to your eyes. Now compare them, if DVI still looks a little washed out, and colors are not as vibrant as the component setting, simply turn up the color on the DVI setting. do this for each picture setting, and you should at least be able to get as good a picture with DVI, as you do with components. If you can't, then there is something wrong with your set up somewhere, (it *may* be your DVI cable, tv, or STB?) But I am sure nothings wrong there, and you'll be able to get it. This even goes for my D* STB, DVI also looks different from the components using the same picture settings. They both need to be calibrated properly! I use to think that the picture was washed out using DVI when I first got HD with Directv, until someone gave me this same advice. I have got my picture to look much better with using DVI on my Sony tv, that I really don't want to go back to component. Just trying to help out... :D

EXCELLANT! As a ex sat dealer installer, I enjoy recieving great advice like yours and sharing mine.
I kinda thought someone in the know would give me some advice to make it work better. Heck I payed alot for this tv becuase of the DVI standard and the sample pics online when I did my reasearch. I will try what you said.
Little confused about PRO?setting.
I will go to standard setting and up color. any other advice would be appriecitate,

Thanks a bunch.
:D

iceshark said:
EXCELLANT! As a ex sat dealer installer, I enjoy recieving great advice like yours and sharing mine.
I kinda thought someone in the know would give me some advice to make it work better. Heck I payed alot for this tv becuase of the DVI standard and the sample pics online when I did my reasearch. I will try what you said.
Little confused about PRO?setting.
I will go to standard setting and up color. any other advice would be appriecitate,

Thanks a bunch.
:D

Hey no problem, just trying to help out any way I can. That's what this forum is all about. You won't find a better forum out there, *IMO*. Everyone here is eager to help each other out, and I think that's great. And we can definitely use your knowledge around here! :D BTW.. I'm sure you'll be able to get that tv looking great!

Genewildershair : I guess I should have said I use the Vivid mode inwhich I calibrated with the DE disk on this mode. I leave the other modes at factory settings as a reference point. I agree the vivid mode in the factory mode without any ajustments looks too dark with enhancement problems. Just wanted to clarify what and why I used the Vivid mode calibated with DE disk . HD=Voom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts