Voom for Sale, Will Dish Buy?

richmert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
Since Dish also uses the 61.5 slot this would be great. All the transponders needed for some "complelling " HD content. Now for the question about contracts that VOOM signed. If they buy VOOM wouldn't they have to commit to the contracts?

Thirteen transponders available on Rainbow 1. That's 39 HD channels using three per transponder.

Now lets think like "Charlie". OK thirteen tps. now available. I can add about another 150 foreign language channels. We can sell them in blocks of 10 for 29.95 per month. Hell with the HD we need some obscure langauge that only about 10 people speak.

While I do think that VOOM will be sold or enter into a partnership with another company, I am starting to believe that Dish Network will not be involved.

My gut instinct is that VOOM will partner with or sell to a company such as Microsoft.

And no matter what happens to VOOM, I know I am currently enjoying 30+ channels in HD now on VOOM, you can't say the same about any other company. :)

I feel that if Dish doesnt jump at a chance to add VOOM's sats they are crazy. With Directv being the direct competitor and launching new sats in the upcoming year for HD offerings, Dish can not offord to stand still. We will see what happens but I second scotts point.....no matter what , Im enjoying what VOOm is giving to me right now.

so you are saying there will probably be no interruption of service to VOOM subscribers? I was looking at subscribing myself but dont know if a sale will void existing subscriptions or not. do they legally have to stick with all committments to all subscribers or is there some fine print that says tough luck if they are sold? i know there is nothing a shareholder can do when a company sells or goes bankrupt. heck you dont even get to vote when they file for bankruptcy. then again its only a dollar to subscribe now huh?

I really don't see anyone snapping up this albatross besides E* or D*, and D* doesn't need it. What does Microsoft want with a company that does nothing but suck up money? A bad business plan is still a bad business plan no matter who owns the thing. If Microsoft wanted in the satellite business they could/would have made a play for D*. The most valuable thing about V* is it's satellite and programming contracts and E* is really the only company in a position to leverage those assets immediately and strategically. Just my 2 cents.

NightRyder

You hit it right on the nose. We'll have 10 channels in Swahili and 10 channels of Swahili shows in English language.

cpdretired said:
Since Dish also uses the 61.5 slot this would be great. All the transponders needed for some "complelling " HD content. Now for the question about contracts that VOOM signed. If they buy VOOM wouldn't they have to commit to the contracts?

Thirteen transponders available on Rainbow 1. That's 39 HD channels using three per transponder.

Now lets think like "Charlie". OK thirteen tps. now available. I can add about another 150 foreign language channels. We can sell them in blocks of 10 for 29.95 per month. Hell with the HD we need some obscure langauge that only about 10 people speak.

hdtvtechno said:
Did you guys read page 2 of the article. ?

there it says that Dish would buy them out.

Just speculation.

"Calling Voom's current operations "value-destructive" for Cablevision, UBS analyst Aryeh Bourkoff suggested -- as have others in the past -- that EchoStar could be a possible buyer for the RME satellite assets, given EchoStar's need for additional capacity."

NightRyder

Corrupt and immoral business practices that will ensure VOOM is the provider of HD content for the U.S., no make that the world, and anyone who starts a new HD channel will have to pay them big bucks for distribution.

Sorry, just had to. :D

hdtvtechno said:
Ok so now we got questions.

What will happen to the promised 70 hd channels in march ?
and the 5000 hd channels in 2007 ?

and the Mpeg4 ?

Sorry they are no longer "compelling" ;) You get 69 shopping and the analog clock channels instead.

Couldn't resist :dev

NightRyder

Once again that was the author that was speculating that. It's not a source of information.

Well I kept my 61.5 dish on-line. Always hoping for more two-channel HD programming per transponder on Dish Network. Looking forward to VOOM HD programming showing up in my Dish Network 6000 guide.

Announced Today ! CableVision Will Sell VOOM Company

Originally Cablevision who owns Voom was going to expand it to other Cablevision and cable tv companies.But they decided to back out of that deal.Instead Cablevision will be selling their orbital satelites that are in outerspace to the highest bidder.If Charlie from Dish Network does'nt make a great offer for this then he's a FOOL. Acquireing Voom's HD channels can only make Dish Network bigger and stronger.I'm aware that echostar who owns Dish just launched a new Satelite Dish on december 17th,2004 from Cape Conaveral which will be up and running by late january 2005-next month ..supposedly this new satelite will be able to add many more HD channels to Dish Network..BUT I heard the many new channels Dish will be adding are to expand the international channels..apparently Charlie is'nt thinking about his customers in the United States..all he does for us is add network channels..not HD.With the new satelite that was launched December 17,2004 the Dish customer will be able to FINALLY get high speed satelite internet access.Directv has had that service for many years now.Dish is slow about things to get.
Charlie BUY :) Voom from Cablevision.Your customers will love you for it.
PLEASE CHARLIE...PLEASE !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)