VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Since this other thread was closed, I'll have to reply here:

You are missing the point.

I also liked Voom.

I also liked 8-track tapes, vinyl LPs. Amiga computers, Betamax VCRs, and the TV shows Deadwood and Rome.

There are two possibilities that work:

(1) Move this thread to the General CableTV & Satellite Forum here, which is where it now belongs.

(2) Or a typical SG marketing ploy might be to move it to the Pub Forum, and require people to be members to discuss it. ;)

:up

Would someone be kind enough to post a link to a page that will tell me what the real story is with VoOm?

Why was it removed from DISH?
Any realistic hope of its return?
Any chance DirecTV would pick up some of the channels?

I really would like to get the real story.

I am well into my 50's and, yes I very much miss my favorite channel...MONSTERS-HD. Equator was nice, but Monsters was my channel...

Thanks!
Take a look at the "First amended complaint filed in Voom vs. Echostar Lawsuit" thread - it does a better job of presenting the facts (without as much bias) and it is only 11 pages long.;)

Hey one more thought about Voom that was sparked in my mind by the above questions.

I think one of there reasons it died on Dish was one of the reasons you all loved it: no commercials.

Hear me out: Most cable stations want high ratings. There are 2 reasons for this. First, they want to be able to demand big bucks from providers like Dish. But in the case of Voom, they had an agreement, and they likey new that in a few years when the agreement expired, it would be terminated, so no incentive there. They also weren't concerned about getting on to other services (DirecTV didn't want it, no one else had bandwidth) so that wasn't an incentive to get higher ratings. Second, they want high ratings to demand higher rates from advertisers. Voom had no commercials, so no incentive there.

So what does that mean? Voom had no incentive to get people to watch them. They were collecting that check from Dish no matter what, and they couldn't hope to get a check from anyone else. So why bother investing in programming? Why not just give everyone fat pay raises and claim that as an overhead expense to cont against your agreed spending with Dish? Why not just repeat the same stuff ad nauseum?

If they had commercials, they would have worked toward maximizing ratings, other providers would have become interested, Dish would have wanted to keep them, and we'd still be watching Voom.

Hey one more thought about Voom that was sparked in my mind by the above questions.

I think one of there reasons it died on Dish was one of the reasons you all loved it: no commercials.
I loved not being interrupted by commercials while viewing a program, but I have often said that VOOM should show commercials between movies and shows.

Hear me out: Most cable stations want high ratings. There are 2 reasons for this. First, they want to be able to demand big bucks from providers like Dish. But in the case of Voom, they had an agreement, and they likey new that in a few years when the agreement expired, it would be terminated, so no incentive there. They also weren't concerned about getting on to other services (DirecTV didn't want it, no one else had bandwidth) so that wasn't an incentive to get higher ratings. Second, they want high ratings to demand higher rates from advertisers. Voom had no commercials, so no incentive there.

So what does that mean? Voom had no incentive to get people to watch them. They were collecting that check from Dish no matter what, and they couldn't hope to get a check from anyone else. So why bother investing in programming? Why not just give everyone fat pay raises and claim that as an overhead expense to cont against your agreed spending with Dish? Why not just repeat the same stuff ad nauseum?

If they had commercials, they would have worked toward maximizing ratings, other providers would have become interested, Dish would have wanted to keep them, and we'd still be watching Voom.
Obviously I'm not watching Voom now, since it is no longer on E*, but I wouldnt be watching it much anyway if Voom did have commercials. After the programming that I really liked, no commercials was the primary benefit of Voom to me. I now find myself camping on HBO/Sho/Max and Starz to avoid commercials. I hate having stuff hawked at me, not to mention the varying volume level btwn commercials and the actual program on so many commercial channels.

Obviously I'm not watching Voom now, since it is no longer on E*, but I wouldnt be watching it much anyway if Voom did have commercials. After the programming that I really liked, no commercials was the primary benefit of Voom to me. I now find myself camping on HBO/Sho/Max and Starz to avoid commercials. I hate having stuff hawked at me, not to mention the varying volume level btwn commercials and the actual program on so many commercial channels.

That's why I watch stuff of the DVR. I love the 30s skip:)

Premiums don't show commercials and keep programming high quality because if they didn't, people wouldn't pay $12/month+ for them.

Unfortunately, Voom was not interested in moving to this model, either. They just wanted to keep collecting their check for constantly repeating programming, not careing if anyone was watching.

That's why I watch stuff of the DVR. I love the 30s skip:)

Premiums don't show commercials and keep programming high quality because if they didn't, people wouldn't pay $12/month+ for them.

Unfortunately, Voom was not interested in moving to this model, either. They just wanted to keep collecting their check for constantly repeating programming, not careing if anyone was watching.

After VOOM was cancelled, I searched for alternatives, and settled on Netflix ($20 per month), EuroChannel ($10 per month), and TV5Monde ($10 per month). The first obviously shows no commercials; the last two do. HBO/Showtime/Starz had no commercials but also no content that interested me, and they also repeat the same stuff month after month. I would rather have interesting content with commercials than uninteresting content without commercials.

Like you, I take full advantage of the 'skip' buttons and watch everything on the DVR. If I should happen to tune in to something good, I record it for later so I can watch it commercial-free with the 'skip' buttons.

Being commercial-free may have been a mistake on VOOM's part. It didn't matter to me.

Same here. AMC used to be commercial free and I enjoyed watching that channel. Whenever they went to a commercial model, I quit watching. It is way too annoying.

At least college football has gotten the message and they only break for a minute or two. Some of these channels have 4 and 5 minutes of commercials 6 times per hour.

The 30 second skip button is handy for DVR'd stuff, but there are tons of times i want to sit down and watch something live, and commercials def suck then - they can be so loud and so long that i can lose interest in what i was watching by the time the show comes back on - I get up and forget to come back. Didnt have that problem with Voom.

AMC used to be commercial free and I enjoyed watching that channel. Whenever they went to a commercial model, I quit watching. It is way too annoying.

I think Bravo was commercial-free once upon a time. I Hardly watch that one these days either.

I think Bravo was commercial-free once upon a time. I Hardly watch that one these days either.

Like AMC. Used to watch it a lot. When the format switched, we switched to watching TMC. Commercials in between ala PBS tolerable but commercial/ fee supported preferred.

Where are we now in the Voom/Echostar court battle anyway?

It has been over 6 months since E* dropped VOOM. And 5+ since I switched to D* as a result of that decision.

I was sitting up late the other night, scanning channels, when I had a thought about how much I miss the VOOM channels. I frequently watched VOOM programming late at night. If D* offered them as a step-up from their $5 optional HD Pack, say for another $5/mon, I'd sign up in a second.

At the time that E* dropped them, about 15%-20% of all of my TV viewing was of the VOOM channels. To date, I still have fully replaced that with other programs that I enjoy as much.

Yeah, my contract is up. My gf wants to stick with Dish for now. She's even paying the bill. Otherwise, I would've canceled today.

I see I missed the Paris Spring 2009 show on Ultra HD. Before you guys say my male card is revoked, note that I said spring which equals swimsuits. Sigh... :(

And we had to dig up this old thread again WHY?

Voom isn't coming back, period. One of the DBSTalk guys has indicated that DirecTV only has space for 19 (or fewer) channels. You really think they want to blow better than three-quarters of their remaining space on Voom?

Tom, your complaints are valid, but they are no different than what you have posted in this thread many times before. And as you have seen (based on a recent thread I saw you start) DirecTV isn't all peaches and cream either.

I went to my in-laws for Thanksgiving last week and I had a great treat. Return of the Living Dead II on the Monsters channel. They have Cablevision.

Even my mother-in-law couldn't stop laughing and she never laughs at anything.

I am not getting over not having Voom and I will go where I must to get it again but for now I have zero options.

I wasn't complaining.

I was merely stating that after 6 months, I was reflecting back upon VOOM and missed having those channels.

I certainly haven't done that before in this thread, as this is the first time I could have been without them for 6 months.

Why are some so quick to put a negative slant on things?

Reviving dead threads is always negative, thats why, let this be the last post and let it die FOR GOOD...somehow i doubt anyone will listen...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)