VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Please, show me where I've put the blame on anyone. I've said all along that without access to the contracts we don't have enough information to make a determination about who is at fault. However, there are two sides to the lawsuit the courts will decide who was at fault. Making stuff up because it fits your personal interpretation of the facts doesn't prove anything except that you're biased.

Mario

Well, face it, we're both a little biased.

And like I said before, we do have access to court filings that quote the relevant evidence.

I also asked for an alternate explanation as to why Voom in any form has never made it on another US service besides Dish and Cablevision. I offered one theory that seems to work. If you blame the other providers like Direct, than perhaps they should feel a little wrath, too. While it takes two to tango, it ONLY takes 2 to tango, so there has to be some disconnect form one side or the other.

And, if you think Voom should still be on Dish, who do you blame for it being gone? You don't seem to blame Voom.

Unfortunalely you aren't far from the truth. Many of us don't appreciate those things. Remember, we have many HD elitists around here who have stuck with a then-lame provider for years just to watch lots and lots of football.

doesn't speak much for culture now, does it...

People enjoy different things. If nothing else, this thread proves that. Nothing wrong with that at all. Is there?

Unfortunately the Voom situation again makes us in the US look like we don't appreciate, culture, design, music, eclectic cinema and sports as much as others. That stupid idea, you have to dumb it down or we don't understand it.
Dish was stupid in not leveraging more out of these upscale channels by not marketing harder to the upscale consumers, the ones who pay top dollar and on time. In fact I never saw a Dish promotion of the Voom Suite. They bought it and sat on their hands, coasting thinking there was no need to work the situation.

I never saw Voom promote themselves either after they moved to Dish. I see plenty of other channels promoting themselves all the time.

And I enjoy some "upscale" content. But I'm sorry if you think I'm uncultured just because I enjoy some populist entertainment. I'm sorry, but your post sounds a little elitist. Like the post above me says, why can;t we enjoy different things?

And a lot of "upscale" viewers are to busy reading books, gong to art shows, and the like to watch a ton of TV. I have one friend who fits the bill. Weathy as can be. An HDTV is every room. One of those fancy remotes that controls not only the TV but the lights and thermostat. Yet he has an SD package from cable. He just doesn't care about TV.

And I'm willing to bet Dish makes way more off the $40/month customers than the $120/month customers. There are simply way more $40/month.

People enjoy different things. If nothing else, this thread proves that. Nothing wrong with that at all. Is there?

Depends who you ask...;)

I know a lot of people who aren't cool with that, and those are usually the ones telling me 'where to go'....there are 'intolerance' problems in certain forums...

I don't know man...why don't you go ask some of your 'friends' around here, I don't have an answer for you...let me know what you find out. ;)

Please, show me where I've put the blame on anyone. I've said all along that without access to the contracts we don't have enough information to make a determination about who is at fault. However, there are two sides to the lawsuit the courts will decide who was at fault. Making stuff up because it fits your personal interpretation of the facts doesn't prove anything except that you're biased.

Mario

The judge which did have access said it was not likely VOOM would win its court case when they asked for an injunction to prevent Dish from removing the programming. Of course that is the judge's opinion and he could be proven wrong by a jury.

The judge which did have access said it was not likely VOOM would win its court case when they asked for an injunction to prevent Dish from removing the programming. Of course that is the judge's opinion and he could be proven wrong by a jury.

He could be wrong just because he is wrong...lets just hope that whatever mood the judge is in that day, or whatever legal interpretation he chooses to follow that day works to our advantage... ;)

He could be wrong just because he is wrong...lets just hope that whatever mood the judge is in that day, or whatever legal interpretation he chooses to follow that day works to our advantage... ;)

Just out of curiosity, how could what the judge says or does either way make a difference to people on this forum? (Unless you own stock in Dish or Voom.):confused:

Fitzie

Just out of curiosity, how could what the judge says or does either way make a difference to people on this forum? (Unless you own stock in Dish or Voom.):confused:

Fitzie

Because the case in general involves carraige agreements, there is a belief that if the courts side with Voom, that E* will be forced to honor the original carraige agreement and thus return to broadcasting it...

...or so they say...:rolleyes:

Because the case in general involves carraige agreements, there is a belief that if the courts side with Voom, that E* will be forced to honor the original carraige agreement and thus return to broadcasting it...

...or so they say...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the perspective. I thought Voom was not asking for renewed carriage, just money. (Like a billion dollars.)

Fitzie

Thanks for the perspective. I thought Voom was not asking for renewed carriage, just money. (Like a billion dollars.)

Fitzie

Maybe...but for what its worth, its not over until its over...

But you do bring up something interesting...if they are looking for a pay-out instead of a revenue stream in this case....that says quite a lot....

Well, face it, we're both a little biased.

And like I said before, we do have access to court filings that quote the relevant evidence.

I also asked for an alternate explanation as to why Voom in any form has never made it on another US service besides Dish and Cablevision. I offered one theory that seems to work. If you blame the other providers like Direct, than perhaps they should feel a little wrath, too. While it takes two to tango, it ONLY takes 2 to tango, so there has to be some disconnect form one side or the other.

And, if you think Voom should still be on Dish, who do you blame for it being gone? You don't seem to blame Voom.
I'm sure we are both biased but I haven't been coming here proclaiming who is right and who is wrong like you have. It seems a little unusual to me that you claim to make your posts to correct revisionist history and then you make a wild guess as to what may have transpired to bring it all about.

Here's what we know - one of the parties defaulted on the contract. We really don't know anything else for sure. Unlike you, I don't plan to make stuff up to explain things.

Mario

No, that's not what the judge said. In order to issue the preliminary injunction the judge would have to determine that there was a high likelihood that Voom would prevail. Not issuing the injunction says that Voom could still be likely to prevail just not highly likely. It could mean that it can't be determined who will prevail without a trial or it could mean that they are likely to lose. Don't read more into than what is there.

Mario

[

Depends who you ask...;)

I know a lot of people who aren't cool with that, ....there are 'intolerance' problems in certain forums...

I couldnt agree more Vampz. Which is why I brought the question up. What diffference does it make to someone what another poster wants to watch? Viewing habits dont have to mean someone isnt "cultured". At least I dont think so

[

I couldnt agree more Vampz. Which is why I brought the question up. What diffference does it make to someone what another poster wants to watch? Viewing habits dont have to mean someone isnt "cultured". At least I dont think so

I was commenting on the degradation of american culture as a whole to the post whom at the time I was replying too...and some would consider the passing up of arts and sciences in favor of 16 hours of football to be an example of that degradation...

IF you don't think so, fine...I see no reason to go OT and have a discussion about it...

Vampz it doesnt have to be a strictly sports vs voom issue. I think its more of a voom programing type vs the alternative. Different interests for different people. Which IMHO is why we have such strong opinions on this thread (and others of the type). Nothing wrong with that, and leads to a healthy discussion. I understand where you are coming from though. I dont agree with all of it, but I get what you are saying

Vampz it doesnt have to be a strictly sports vs voom issue. I think its more of a voom programing type vs the alternative. Different interests for different people. Which IMHO is why we have such strong opinions on this thread (and others of the type). Nothing wrong with that, and leads to a healthy discussion. I understand where you are coming from though. I dont agree with all of it, but I get what you are saying

GREAT! You get what I'm saying!

(What are you saying?)

The sad fact is that we're predominantly a low-brow society. We've been taken over by reality shows - which we must really like, else there wouldn't be so many of them. Some of us are just sad about this, and it is probably these folks who enjoy the type of content that Voom airs.

The sad fact is that we're predominantly a low-brow society. We've been taken over by reality shows - which we must really like, else there wouldn't be so many of them. Some of us are just sad about this, and it is probably these folks who enjoy the type of content that Voom airs.

I dont know if its a sad fact, but otherwise I think this is pretty accurate, and was in line with my point.:up

Fitz,

I could'nt have said it better myself. You are right on the money!

I dont know if its a sad fact, but otherwise I think this is pretty accurate, and was in line with my point.:up

I am not personally aware of any society that is a high brow society. Most (probably all) cultures have some individuals or groups that are more interested in intellectual pursuits than the general populace. Over hundreds of years, these artists and artisans produce bodies of works that are recognized and revered these hundreds of years later.

Most people in any society are concerned with about 3 things: food, shelter, and security; sex; and entertainment.

Voom for most is just a tiny, tiny part of the entertainment package. Artists who are producing aesthetically pleasing works are generally not sitting around watching Voom.:)

Fitzie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)