VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Is it whining? Okay, sure. Whining. Feels more like anger, but whatever. Also, no CUSTOMER makes a big move without assessment, they either do so by necessity, or by careful planning. In my case it is going to be both when my contract runs out. Why would I stay? A better receiver? I'm pretty sure that edge won't last forever, and then there will be absolutely no reason to stay.

15 freaking channels? And people aren't supposed to be angry???

Yes you have every right to be fuming, and every right to leave DISH. But how much do you want to bet before DISH made such fateful move, they looked at their own spreadsheets long and hard, and realized if they continued on the current path a lot more will be fuming and leaving, so may be they could sacrifice a few of you for the good of the majority.

Not saying it is right, but sometimes when survivial is at stake, one has to be willing to cut the loss.

Yes you have every right to be fuming, and every right to leave DISH. But how much do you want to bet before DISH made such fateful move, they looked at their own spreadsheets long and hard, and realized if they continued on the current path a lot more will be fuming and leaving, so may be they could sacrifice a few of you for the good of the majority.

Not saying it is right, but sometimes when survivial is at stake, one has to be willing to cut the loss.

Considering all the poor business decisions in the past, what makes anyone think that this won't be another one? Dish is already down 89%, mainly due to D*'s dominance, why would anyone consider switching back now that they removed the only thing D* doesn't have? Doesn't make any sense and I suspect E*'s slide will continue even more so, now that it's obvious capacity has been reached.

Yesterday, the line up that existed was superb and pieces were beginning to come together to finally challenge D*. Boy, what a difference a day makes.

The A**holes comment was directed at Dish Network and not the people on this forum, sorry for the miscommunication. I'll edit my other post.

I understood you perfectly. I was just saying that I won't miss anyone who uses "Dooshbagery", "A** Holes" and some made up t-shirt that's not even clever or funny in any way... all in the same post.

My own silly use of self-censored profanity was meant to be ironic.

...why would anyone consider switching back now that they removed the only thing D* doesn't have? ...

Because if they don't they will not be able to do 100 HDs in time to stop the bleeding. But if they do, the worst they can expect maybe some disgruntled VOOMers leaving, and according to Charlie there aren't many of them to begin with.

What would you do if you were him?

I understood you perfectly. I was just saying that I won't miss anyone who uses "Dooshbagery", "A** Holes" and some made up t-shirt that's not even clever or funny in any way... all in the same post.

My own silly use of self-censored profanity was meant to be ironic.

So, my post was wrong, but you're somehow excellent for flaming me when I don't even know you and my post had nothing to do with you? More dooshbagery, in spades.

Because if they don't they will not be able to do 100 HDs in time to stop the bleeding. But if they do, the worst they can expect maybe some disgruntled VOOMers leaving, and according to Charlie there aren't many of them to begin with.

What would you do if you were him?

That's exactly my point. Instead of keeping Voom, he would rather copy D* and what they're doing; thus, not offering anything different (actually much less) to anyone to sway their decision when comparing the two. With the current state of things, why would anyone choose E* over D* right now? Anyone that does needs to have their eyes examined. However, I DO know of quite a few people who chose E* due to a few select Voom channels (mainly Monsters and FilmFest) because nobody else had them.

Besides, without the new sat's, how in the world can he expect to initiate this grand D* carbon copy anyway?

Sure would be funny if we saw the Best of the Voom new top 5 channel HD pack on DirecTV for say $3.99 a month, kind of like a movie channel package.

I bet directv could pick up a contract real cheap now.

With the current state of things, why would anyone choose E* over D* right now?
The E* DVR is much better than the D* DVR. That's why I went with E*. The choice between "Package A of crappy channels" vs. "Package B of different crappy channels" wasn't much of a factor for me. HD crap doesn't taste any better than SD crap to me. But if you're going to be eating such stuff anyway, might as well do it without having to watch commercials, and Voom did provide that.

90% of my viewing is locals (HD in my area). 2% an occasional sporting event (only some of those are in HD), and the remaining 8% on Universal HD catching up on older series that I missed out on when they were first broadcast. SciFi HD now gives me another option to catch up on those older series too, but they're not all HD.

The E* DVR is much better than the D* DVR. That's why I went with E*.

Correct. In my opinion, Dish Network's competitive advantage was 1/2 unique programming and 1/2 better hardware. Today, they eliminated 50% of their edge over DirectTV.

Dish Network can't possibly believe DirectTV will never have equivalant hardware, can they? And when that advantage is gone, it's goodbye subscribers.

I hope Dish doesn't get rid of Monsters HD. If that happens, I'll freak out and do something crazy. Like dump Dish.

Last edited:
Its not E* fault that Voom Sucks. Remember that! Voom did it to themselves. These all could have been great channels , If rainbow media would have invested some programming into them.

That's exactly my point. Instead of keeping Voom, he would rather copy D* and what they're doing; thus, not offering anything different (actually much less) to anyone to sway their decision when comparing the two. With the current state of things, why would anyone choose E* over D* right now? Anyone that does needs to have their eyes examined. However, I DO know of quite a few people who chose E* due to a few select Voom channels (mainly Monsters and FilmFest) because nobody else had them.

Besides, without the new sat's, how in the world can he expect to initiate this grand D* carbon copy anyway?

They win with the $30 HD-Only pack my friend. Who has that in their sleeves?

I hope Dish doesn't get rid of Monsters HD. If that happens, I'll freak out and do something crazy. Like dump Dish.

Charlie said it'll be gone soon. Didn't you hear, no one likes VOOM. Charlie isn't just going to dump it, he's going to water-board it first.

Charlie said it'll be gone soon. Didn't you hear, no one likes VOOM. Charlie isn't just going to dump it, he's going to water-board it first.
Gulp, I hope not.... I wish there was something I could do. While Chiller HD is coming, I don't see them having the same depth of movies.

I like to fill my DVR with movies I don't ALREADY own.

How much do you want to bet those who favor such plan way out-numbered those that are whining here today?

Look no company makes a big move like this without assessment, they either do so by necessity, or by careful planning. In this case it obviously is the earlier, for their own survival.
Wrong, jaco.

My poll shows 2 to 1 in favor of Voom. You so wish to pretend that you have everyone's best interests at heart and that you are only trying to help. Instead you just show your selfishness by your comments.

I guess I'll have to wish/pray nightly for the demise of MTV, FX, Speed, etc. It never occurred to me to wish bad luck on other people's channel choices so that I could keep mine. Seems to work for the Voom haters, so I guess I'll run to Michael's this weekend for little rag dolls that I can draw channel logos on, and put voodoo curses on. Anyone any good at voodoo want to help me out? Maybe if the lowest common denominator channels that show nothing but reality shows and non-stop commercials go belly-up, I might get my Vooms back

Wrong, jaco.

My poll shows 2 to 1 in favor of Voom. You so wish to pretend that you have everyone's best interests at heart and that you are only trying to help. Instead you just show your selfishness by your comments.

2 to 1? At best I see 50-50 split.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CONGRATS ECHOSTAR! 922 wins best of CES award!

Just wanted to say THANKS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts