VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
good work. What do you have in let's say a 5 chnnel limeup?

That's way harder, but...

1. Equator/Gallery/Treasure
2. Monsters/Kung Fu/Voom HD Movies/FilmFest
3. Rave/Ultra
4. Family Room/Animania/Gameplay
5. Rush/Worldsport

With News updates sprinkled throughout :D

I was totally happy with the 5 channels kept ... although Voom movies would be better than Kung Fu ... at least for me. I really miss Equator already. Even if it was a rerun it was the type of channel you can watch and go wow .. the quality was so good.

Totally agreed, Thw five were fine.

I agree I was happy with the 5 they kept, I was a big fan of Monsters and Equator. I think these two channels with the right money thrown at it could be even more amazing.

If you guys want the 5 back, you are going to need to convince VOOM of that.

I can tell you that Dish wants five, but that is up to VOOM.

I hope Voom realizes that 5 will keep them in business, no channels means they all have to find new jobs.

I still don't quite understand the issue (which doesn't surprise me, since I'm not friends with Charlie).

5 channels, 10 channels, 15 channels, 20 channels, what's the difference? It would still be the same number of programs. Is it that Charlie wants the content of only the five channels he left running for a while (and they can repeat as often as they like) or is he saying he wants all the current content crammed into 5 channels (so there are not so many repeats)? Or is he saying he wants more stuff crammed into 5 channels? Or is he saying that VOOM as currently constituted is only providing enough content for five channels so that's what he wants to pay for?

Is it capacity, money, lousy content on some channels but not others, inadequate total content or something else?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Last edited:
From all indications I have seen here at Team Summit and from the folk I have talked to, Dish wanted to keep VOOM but not all of VOOM. Charlie wanted 5 channels. VOOM said you have to take all or nothing.

That was a bad move, you don't play poker against Charlie and expect to win.

Dish still wants VOOM and hopefully they can work together to come to a deal.
Scott, there was a deal...it was the 15-year affiliate agreement between E* and V*. How is executing the terms of the agreements a bad move by VOOM? Likewise, why the need for game playing when a legal agreement, with provisions and cure, is in place? Just because Charlie no longer liked the terms of the agreement, that doesn't give him a right to terminate the agreement. E* contents that V* didn't meet the $100 million spending limit during 2006. V* claims the prorated spending limit was only $82 based on 15 HD channels (and not 21), however they still spent $102.9 million on VOOM that year. Additionally, they spent more than $114 million on the VOOM channels in 2007...even though they were only required to spend $82 or $100 million (depending on who you believe).

Hopefullly Charlie has a good hand to pass along to his attorneys when this matter is litigated in front of a jury. Unless V* is blatantly lying about their spending, as well as providing fault/misleading information in their SEC Filings, then this matter could very well wind up just like NDS, Tivo, News Corp, etc.

By all indications I have seen, Dish Network wanted to keep VOOM under their terms and not under the terms the existing affiliate agreement...and they screwed their customers over "big time" playing this twisted brand of poker. Ethical companies do not conduct business this way, and they certainly don't play games with their business partners and customers.

Hopefully SatelliteGuys can remain objective in this matter and not turn into a sounding board for Dish Network propaganda, and their company trolls and zealots who frequent this site.

No Jim, VOOM needs to stick to their agreement with Dish by adding new programming. Which they did not do. Look here at the site over the past few months of members (some of them upset that VOOM is gone) saying that they hated VOOM as it was all repeats.

VOOM is the one who broke the agreement. Even the judge agreed with this which is why he didnt grant VOOMs request fr an injunction.

If VOOM Dies, then it was VOOM who killed VOOM, not Dish who killed VOOM. (Dish would have just helped them speed up the process)

And look at you trying to judge about it when you don't even have a car in the race, your a FIOS customer not a Dish Network customer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)