VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Another Idea

Well I did fire off e-mails to Voom and Dish. I did down grade to Essentials but I felt the need to do one more thing..

I sent e-mails to both HDNet Movies and MGM-HD as those are the only 2 channels in the Ultimate Tier that I will be missing. I have no interest in the rest. Here is my letter to them..

Folks:

I just wanted to alert both HDNet Movies and MGM that effective immediately I will no longer be able to view your channels and I am not alone as well. Here is why..

Dish has placed both channels at a level of programming called Dish Ultimate. I guess you knew that. What you might not know is that Dish just dumped 15 very good channels that were at the same level of service. The VoomHD Networks. Some of my favorite viewing was there, especially but not limited to MonstersHD and RaveHD. This was why I was at this level but because I also had access to HDNet Movies, Universal HD and MGM-HD, I found some interesting shows on these channels at times as well.

Besides HDNet Movies, Universal HD and MGM-HD, other channels available at this level are Smithsonian Channel HD, NHL Network, NBA Network and WFN (World Fishing Network HD). I didn't bother to send this message to the other channels as I have absolutely NO interest in them. A total of 7 channels at this level at this time. This past Monday night there were 22 at the same level.

The price was $10.00 extra to receive the channels then and it is the same price now. I would have gladly paid the extra $10.00 for the 22 channels I was getting just 3 that I am interested in at times. NO WAY.

How do I know I am not alone in my move? There are several satellite forums out there on the net like Satellite Guys, DBSTalk and High Def Forum. There are movements on all of these web sites to drop down to the HD Essentials package in protest over this move and it looks like many are. Find the Dish Network forums on all of these sites and see for yourselves.

Examine my message and confirm what I say. Seriously, WFN? What a joke. And that's the tier you are placed in.

For me to view your channels again I need you to either urge Dish to either put your channels down on the Essentials tier or pressure them to bring back Voom. I wouldn't mind paying the extra $10.00 for that. Remember Voom is not just a channel. It's 15 channels. If you are not familiar with Voom, go to Voom TV

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

xxxxx xxxxx
Liberty, NY

Edit: I left out Universal.. Fixed it.. All sent properly

Last edited:
Newbie to this site read the forums for sometime but never posted.

I guess you have to email the channels direct because I tried several Dish Network emails including Charlie Chat and received the same Form response filled with the same lies to every email..

Newbie to this site read the forums for sometime but never posted.

I guess you have to email the channels direct because I tried several Dish Network emails including Charlie Chat and received the same Form response filled with the same lies to every email..

Yep.. the automated canned responses but they should eventually be read. Don't forget to telephone too.

Well I did fire off e-mails to Voom and Dish. I did down grade to Essentials but I felt the need to do one more thing..

I sent e-mails to both HDNet Movies and MGM-HD as those are the only 2 channels in the Ultimate Tier that I will be missing. I have no interest in the rest. Here is my letter to them..

Edit: I left out Universal.. I am going to send this to them now.
None of your links work

Yes616,

good tactic about contacting the other channels in Ultimate. I hadnt thought of that, so i'll do it now. I was feeling a little helpless today thinking 'ok, i emailed and called E* twice- once after the first 10 removals, and again after the last 5, and emailed Voom, now what? I can't call/email AGAIN!"...so now you've given me some other action to take. thanks!

None of your links work

I see that the links were disabled by our moderators. They were also disabled in another forum mentioned as well. I should have figured that. But the links did go through in the e-mails I sent. That looked OK.

A quick note to the mods around here at satelliteguys:

This site is the absolut best around and I would not worry about some folks finding other forums to look at. They will all see very soon that this is the place to be. Besides, anyone and everyone looking at the net will eventually find them sooner or later. But again, this place is the best!

yes616,

I do not know why your links are not working but I see nothing wrong with re-posting them because there is nothing wrong in them. I doubt that someone edited your post.

VOOM goes BOOM!! Good! Those channels sucks *#O$&(#^$(#*&(*&#(*&$^&$*^*#&$*&(#^$*$^*&

Can we get some REAL HD channels like SpeedHD to replace these crappy channels please??

VOOM goes BOOM!! Good! Those channels sucks *#O$&(#^$(#*&(*&#(*&$^&$*^*#&$*&(#^$*$^*&

Can we get some REAL HD channels like SpeedHD to replace these crappy channels please??

We can have both, even if they kept some of the channels there will be room for SpeedHD, the only reason we dont have that channel is because the issues Dish is having with Fox.

Charlie will never add Speedhd. Or maybe he will since he added WFN.

We can have both, even if they kept some of the channels

I think it (dropping Voom) is not a capacity issue. Rather, it has everything to do with business. When your competitor is running ads clowning your line-up (Direct TV commercial-- "... has anyone ever heard of EquatorHD? ..."), then it's time to re-evaluate. Seems to me that's what Dish did.

Other than watching "Sound Stage" on Rave a couple of times (which also is run on MHD, so nothing lost there), and HDNews once in a blue moon ... I never watched anything on the Voom channels the entire time that I've been a sub. Judging from what I've read, this (almost never watching any Voom channel) represents the majority of subs out there. But, I know that some of you really did like those channels, so I can understand your frustration.

Even more than the obscurity issue (above), Voom suffered most from lack of programming. Yeah, yeah, I know-- it's all HD with no commercials. That's fine, but when you have about 8 hrs of programming for 8760 hrs (24*365) of air time-- something's got to give. Maybe Voom will make a come back some day-- hopefully in a condensed line-up with new and contiunually updated programming. But, until then, Dish made a decision to go with more recognizable and popular channels (albeit with some showing mostly if not all SD and mucho commercials). Competition and market forces ALWAYS drive business decisions. You can call, email, petition-- even storm Englewood with your pitch forks-- but, I'm betting that it won't change a thing.

All I know is that the VOOM WorldSport channel had the ONLY HD broadcast of LIVE Spanish La Liga soccer matches available ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!!! That channel's single weekly broadcast could have been sold in a pay-per-view format for $20 a match and I would have paid to see it! It's clear Dish didn't even know what they had in WorldSport channel of the VOOM package, or they wouldn't have dumped it so fast! They also had the gall to make this decision on the eve of the final game of the season!!

If they don't get WorldSport WITH the hi-def La Liga matches back in time for next season's games, I leave Dish. It's by far the biggest reason I went with them. I was an old VOOM founding subscriber and when Dish picked up the VOOM package, I was glad. They have now betrayed me and twisted the knife for good measure by not giving any indication they were going to do so.

I am extremely disappointed and could care less about their 'new' HD channels because it was at the cost of one of the few bright spots in my week, "the live La Liga match hosted by Sid Lowe & Pete Jensen (& formerly with Paul Giblin).

Betrayed,

From all indications I have seen here at Team Summit and from the folk I have talked to, Dish wanted to keep VOOM but not all of VOOM. Charlie wanted 5 channels. VOOM said you have to take all or nothing.

That was a bad move, you don't play poker against Charlie and expect to win.

Dish still wants VOOM and hopefully they can work together to come to a deal.

Originally Posted by Sphagnum

Can we get some REAL HD channels like RednecksDrivingInACircleHD to replace these crappy channels please??
Fixed.
Thanks for fixing that Air, saved me from having to do it.;)

From all indications I have seen here at Team Summit and from the folk I have talked to, Dish wanted to keep VOOM but not all of VOOM. Charlie wanted 5 channels. VOOM said you have to take all or nothing.

That was a bad move, you don't play poker against Charlie and expect to win.

Dish still wants VOOM and hopefully they can work together to come to a deal.

Thanks Scott! I know you have you own feelings about Voom (mostly eye candy/demo channels, but I hope you see from the amount of Voom postings this week, that many, many of your members are upset. Not just with how E* removed the channels, but with the removal themselves. And many of us are not just upset with Rave, Monsters, and Equator going...the 2 Movie Channels are very popular among Voom fans, among others. The unfortunate net is that everyone has their favs. Mine-Both Movies, Equator, Gallery, Treasure.

I now realize how silly it was to stick Voom in the haphazard 9000s. They should have been in the 300s all along, so Charlie's subscribers could find them. Found out this week that two of my friends never even knew ANYTHING was in the 9000s...

Lastly, I hope you can convey to E* today that Voom is a unique offering, that distinguishes E*, and many of us hope that Voom is restored.

I was totally happy with the 5 channels kept ... although Voom movies would be better than Kung Fu ... at least for me. I really miss Equator already. Even if it was a rerun it was the type of channel you can watch and go wow .. the quality was so good.

Ok, Here's the revamped 8 channel (1 Transponder) Voom lineup. Rebranding/Identities are a bit tricky, but something could be worked out. Discovery Communications has roughly this many channels. so seems reasonable.

I'm thinking we could all live with some variation of this.

The target demographic of each of the current 15 channels probably falls into Nature, Action/Violent Film, Culture, Arts, General Film, Family, Sports, and News/Current Affairs.

Pipe dream, I know, but I have to have something to do now that my favorite channels went poof.

First stab...I'm sure there are betters ways to slice/dice this...but 5 isnt quite enough...and of course, I accept that Voom is probably not interested in this but would be easier to market to other providers with bandwidth issues...

1. Equator
2. Monsters/Kung Fu
3. Rave/Ultra
4. Gallery/Treasure
5. Voom HD Movies/FilmFest
6. Family Room/Animania/Gameplay
7. Rush/Worldsport
8. HDNews

good work. What do you have in let's say a 5 chnnel limeup?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)