VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I agree I was happy with the 5 they kept, I was a big fan of Monsters and Equator. I think these two channels with the right money thrown at it could be even more amazing.

Frankly, if Charlie and Voom can agree on 5 and 5 only, there'd better be an agreement that those 5 channels have the same quality content that was there a year ago and before. I want Voom back just as much as anybody, but a return would have to mean that Voom makes the channels viable again.

Monsters
FilmFest/Voom Movies
Treasure/Equator
Rave
Kung Fu

Voom doesn't need all 15 of their channels, a simple consolidation would increase quantity and quality and at the same time allowing Dish to continue expanding mainstream channels to appease the masses, too.

Would Voom rather sink than compromise?

I like that setup that way Monsters and Kung Fu are not changed and a couple other channels which could have the same content are put together. I think it would not be smart on Vooms part to Sink rather than work it out.

I just emailed voom.

The subs who enjoy voom are caught in the cross fires of this mess. We suffer.

Maybe, calm heads will prevail. They will decide they both need each other and get back to bussiness.

Im sure this will happen.

I just emailed voom.

The subs who enjoy voom are caught in the cross fires of this mess. We suffer.

Maybe, calm heads will prevail. They will decide they both need each other and get back to bussiness.

Im sure this will happen.

I like you're optimism, as more and more of us complain and all I am getting more hopeful all the time.

Frankly, if Charlie and Voom can agree on 5 and 5 only, there'd better be an agreement that those 5 channels have the same quality content that was there a year ago and before. I want Voom back just as much as anybody, but a return would have to mean that Voom makes the channels viable again.

Monsters
FilmFest/Voom Movies
Treasure/Equator
Rave
Kung Fu

Voom doesn't need all 15 of their channels, a simple consolidation would increase quantity and quality and at the same time allowing Dish to continue expanding mainstream channels to appease the masses, too.

Would Voom rather sink than compromise?

This sort of line up is a very good idea.

On the consolidation of FilmFest/Voom Movies I would add some programming from Family Room and Animania during the day and change the name of it to Voom Family HD. They could also add an HDNews World Report there in the morning and early evening if they wanted to but make it good. Then they would have plenty of programming there to start.

Rave, Monsters and Kung Fu need to come back just as they were but with many more new programs.
>Rave was already pretty good but more is necessary. Concerts are happening all over the place. Make deals and get your own cameras out there if you have to!
>Monsters and Kung Fu need alot more stuff and we all know it's out there. Get some of those movies you advertise as coming to a theater near me! I don't think any of them eventually came to Monsters. Monsters should also make it a point to not only show all Halloween movies on Halloween but new Halloween parades and more visits to the Heffner Mansion :D. Live broadcasts would be the greatest! Of course all the Jason's on Friday the 13th whenever that happens. These days should be major party days on Monsters!
>Kung Fu also should have many more movies and maybe some original shows on Karate at times. I am not a fan of this channel but I have a friend that is. At first he loved it but then he started noticing all the repeats. He could rattle off a ton of stuff not yet aired. I will ask him to compile a list then I will send it back here later and maybe else somebody here has ideas for Kung Fu.

If Voom did this they would not only be accepted back to Dish but many cable operators would probably pick them up as well. I would gladly pay more for something like this as well.

Again, this is a very good idea and something we here should build on for Charlie to pass back to Voom if they aren't already watching this board now. I know I sent them the link.

Is it capacity, money, lousy content on some channels but not others, inadequate total content or something else?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I would speculate a combination of all. Dish has very limited satellite capacity cut down even more by the loss of AMC-14. They seem to have come up with the idea that Dish would make more money (i.e. get more subs) with just 5 VOOM channels instead of 15. Thus freeing up 10 channels worth of space for other HD channels from other providers.

The money part comes in because Dish does not want to charge every customer $20 for HD when DIRECTV only charges $10. This argument with VOOM started last year, long before the launch & failure of AMC-14. Dish called for an audit and claims that VOOM was not spending the money, Dish then said they where terminating the contract because VOOM was not spending the money. But, Dish offered to continue VOOM if VOOM were to be in a tier package, and Dish went ahead with this while VOOM sued. This all happened before AMC-14 so, I do not see it as a capacity issue but a money one as far as moving VOOM to HD ultimate package.

I see it going one of 2 ways:

1. Compromise on around 5 channels or so of VOOM with different lineups with Dish keeping in the Ultimate package.

2. Multiyear lawsuit where CVC and Dish battle it out for years and VOOM dies off.

The Original Wu-Tang movies that the Wu-Tang clan (rappers) re-dubbed... so simple yet would be so effective as a special series. There's a huge market for old Kung-Fu movies, and with the proper promotion and upgraded content, would be bigger than it has been. Shame to piss away such a great concept.

No offense to the Monster/Kung Fu fans, if a consolidation had to occur, one channel is enough to cover both genres. Most of Voom's content could be represented across 5 channels.

1. Equator/Gallery/Treasure (Documentary folks)
2. Monsters/Kung Fu (Slasher folks)
3. Rave/Ultra/Rush (Hipster folks)
4. Voom HD Movies/FilmFest (Movie folks)
5. Family Room/Animania/Gameplay (Family folks)

Sorry News and La Liga/CFL folks, not sure where to put you.

If Voom does go live again, I'm pretty sure Monsters and Fu will still have their own channels... they kind of have a Cult Following.. more so than the others. Wouldn't you agree?

I decided to call Dish yesterday to put my two cents in regarding the VOOM mess. The CSR seemed a bit weary of discussing the VOOM situation and didn't even try to tell me about so-called equivilent channels. She did tell me (for what its worth) that Dish is planning to bring VOOM back. Whether all 15 channels or some lesser number of channels or when, or under what circumstances, (eg: higher tier, etc) she didn't know. Maybe she just told this to me to get me to go away, I don't know.

Regarding those that think Dish would just let VOOM wither away and die, doesn't Charlie have a 20% stake in VOOM? Does anyone think he would just let his investment die whan VOOM dies? I don't think Charlie is that loose with his money.

and in my last conversation i was told by dish that Voom removed all the channels and Dish had nothing to do with it. He wasn't impressed when I replied with Echostar owning the satellite Voom uses and that he should go read the Voom homepage saying for customers to contact Dish.

Strange combo

No offense to the Monster/Kung Fu fans, if a consolidation had to occur, one channel is enough to cover both genres. Most of Voom's content could be represented across 5 channels.

1. Equator/Gallery/Treasure (Documentary folks)
2. Monsters/Kung Fu (Slasher folks)
3. Rave/Ultra/Rush (Hipster folks)
4. Voom HD Movies/FilmFest (Movie folks)
5. Family Room/Animania/Gameplay (Family folks)

Sorry News and La Liga/CFL folks, not sure where to put you.

I can't agree w/ the combo's you have here. 3 Rave/ Ultra / Rush- I can see the Rave/ Ultra combo but not the sports ch. Rush. Personally I think 1 works 2 is a maybe # as above 4 works 5 works. I tend to think that Rush would fit a bit closer into 5.

Email to E* & reply

Here is what I emailed ceo. I have removed my email address (don't want the flame or spam).

Your message:

I have been a subscriber to Dish Network HD ever since the 942 came out. I have seen your company increase the number of HD channels available and I thank you for that. This week though your company dropped all of the VOOM networks. In fact I'm a legacy of VOOM when it was a satellite provider. Since you have dropped all of the VOOM channels I'm not happy with your doing this. I regularly watched RAVE. In addition to it I would on occasion watch what turned into VOOM movie channel and sometimes Monster & Ultra. So now I no longer have access to these channels. I do understand that VOOM had way too many repeats and would have liked to see that change, but to drop them entirely is hurting your company. Now you no longer have a unique set of programming that Directv doesn't carry. So I feel like I have the right to complain about your dropping VOOM. In fact if Directv were to offer me a deal equivalent to what I have now I would seriously consider shifting over to their service. I will give your company a time period to work something out with VOOM to restore the channels to your line up and get them to improve their programming. But if Directv were to add VOOM to their line up I will most likely been moving on to their company.

--- On Thu, 5/15/08, CEO of Dish Network <CEOofDishNetwork@DishNetwork.com> wrote:

From: CEO of Dish Network <CEOofDishNetwork@DishNetwork.com>
Subject: RE: VOOM channels
To: whatchel1
Date: Thursday, May 15, 2008, 2:29 PM

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your e-mail. Effective immediately the VOOM HD line-up can no longer be viewed by our customers. DISH Network continues to be the leader in providing the best movies, sports and entertainment in High Definition. In order to provide you with top quality entertainment, DISH Network continually evaluates and at times, makes changes to our channel line-up. We plan to use this opportunity to introduce exciting new HD channels offering a breadth and depth of programming that better complements our already robust HD offerings.

DISH Network understands it may feel like DISH is removing your favorite programming, but check out the comparable HD programming that is available!

VOOM Channel Alternative Programming Channel #
Monsters HD Chiller (Only available in SD) 199
Rave HD MHD 9469
Rush HD Universal HD, HD Net 9427, 9422
Specific HD Movies HD Net Movies, Universal HD, and Premiums in HD 9423, 9427

Also check out the following exciting new channels that will be available in the DISH HD Package!
ABC Family HD (DISH Network Ch. 180)
Biography HD (Ch. 119)
Bravo HD (Ch. 129)
Cartoon HD (Ch. 176)
Cinemax 5 Star (Ch. 381)
Cinemax HD West (Ch. 380)
Comcast Sports Network Bay Area HD (Ch. 419)*
Comcast Sports Network New England HD (Ch. 435)*
CNBC HD (Ch. 208)
CNN HD (Ch. 200)
Disney HD East (Ch. 172)
ESPNews HD (Ch. 142)
Hallmark Movie Channel HD (Ch. 187)
MGM HD (Ch. 385)
Sci Fi HD (Ch. 122)
Smithsonian HD (Ch. 374)
Tennis Channel HD (Ch. 400)
Toon Disney HD (Ch. 174)
Travel Channel HD (Ch. 215)
USA HD (Ch. 105)
Weather Channel HD (Ch. 214)
World Fishing Network HD (Ch. 396)

*Launch Wednesday, May 14

Watch for even more high definition channels over the upcoming weeks as DISH Network grows to over 100 national HD channels by end of year. For additional information please visit HYPERLINK "http://www.DishNetwork.com/HDupdate" DISH Network -- Dish HD. Thank you for being a DISH Network customer.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to DISH Network -- Home or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

DISH Network E-Care

This is a form letter full of bull. The channels that you are comparing in most cases aren't even close to equivalent. As in MHD for Rave. MHD is all chopped up with commercials and the vocals if there is a curse word is bleeped out. Chiller is mostly bad horror movies that is SD and not in HD. I'm already considering Directv HD due to the fact that your channel line up is almost identical to it now. Your company has completely lost it's uniqueness by dropping all the VOOM channels. One day you drop 10 of the VOOM channels and the next you drop the remaining 5. This was a badly done change. You acted like we had a major increase in the number of channels. In reality there was only a gain of 7 (22-15 = 7).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)