VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I always wondered why Rainbow never added a Science Fiction related channel to the VOOM lineup. It'd be easy to knock off SciFi due to all the ads and crappy movies.

Mario

to be honest monsters had quite a bit of Sci Fi. it was not exclusively horror. They certainly did not have enough programming or money for one of each

to be honest monsters had quite a bit of Sci Fi. it was not exclusively horror. They certainly did not have enough programming or money for one of each
That's my point - they had access to a lot of good science fiction titles. A dedicated channel for the genre would have made a lot of sense.

Mario

i know tha t the pro VOOM group will descend upon me but my point was that even with the two genres combined they had a lot of repeats. With them separated I can't imagine what it would have been like.

Last edited:
Thats the problem. Besides BSG Sci-Fi doesn't have a lot of good stuff IMO. I never watch that channel. Edited and constant commercials. If I had to guess Chiller will probably die. It seems the mainstream horror fans don't watch it and certainly the hardcore fans don't. They do have some decent series though. In this day and age who wants to watch a movie that is edited to crap with commercials every 5 minutes. I haven't done that in years. I could be spoiled though.

Oh, I agree, I rarely watched it either. I do watch more since loosing Monsters HD and I believe they have done the best conversion to HD by maintaining proper aspect ratios and only lighting the HD logo when the content is HD (No other network has put so much care and truth into their HD channel - Sci-Fi is not trying to fool their audience).

Also, almost all movies from 2008 are HD and only their older library is SD. Seems like they are only purchasing HD now. The last step is to produce their TV series in HD, but that responsibility also lies on the production companies. Sci-Fi HD seems to be investing in HD 100 times more than A&E, Bravo, TNT, TBS, etc. (I never count sports since that's a whole new HD obsession).

I've been DRVing a lot of new Sci-Fi HD films. I usually delete them when I see they are SD. If the are HD, I'll check how cheesy it is, and if it passes I'll watch.

Sci-Fi HD has also broadcast one or two commercial free (like I said, I think that should and will be revived on networks). That's about as commercially viable as a commercial channel is going to get; one commercial free per week (per day would be great). Sci-Fi also aired all Indiana Jones in HD and Tin Man was HD too. I hope their series like Ghost Hunters and Scare Tactics go HD, but I doubt it.

It's just a commercial Horror/Sci-Fi channel is one thing, how do we enjoy that since that is all we have now?

There is no competition between a commercial horror and a premium horror like Monsters HD.

We will not be seeing Evil Dead uncut on Chiller HD.

On the other hand, IFC HD has access to all of these HD films from Monsters HD and has a history of airing titles like Evil Dead, Dead Alive, TCMs uncut.

I just want to know how the hell is Dish going to get IFC HD from Rainbow Media? Maybe Rainbow can separate IFC business from Voom business and Dish will too. Seems like a very iffy maybe.

Repeats arent that bad, I cant watch TV 24 hours a day so, the repeats didnt really matter to me because I would be able to catch the movie when I could.

I worry about the IFCHD as well, because to me that would be the closest thing to MonstersHD as we could get. Its the same company and they have the same library.

Sundance Channel, owned by Rainbow Media, also airs unique foreign horror. In June I DRVed 4 Asian, 2 Spanish, 1 German, and 1 French horror. There were all ghost stories, but one was about a precognitive's visions appearing like ghosts.

I worry about the IFCHD as well, because to me that would be the closest thing to MonstersHD as we could get. Its the same company and they have the same library.

Charlie said that IFCHD is the second most requested channel behind WFN2. The repeats were only bad on Monsters from Nov-March. I could live with what it is now and before then. I complained when they did that crap.

The repeats were awful; in that Nov- March window but there were repeats before and after that as well. Expecting VOOM to ADD channels is just unrealistic at a lot of levels.

The repeats were awful; in that Nov- March window but there were repeats before and after that as well. Expecting VOOM to ADD channels is just unrealistic at a lot of levels.

I agree. Downsizing is more appropriate. But I think Voom gets a bad rap on the repeat thing. How many months has Hdnet shown Ronin. I bet at least 6. Most channels do repeat though. It's that gem that maybe you would get once or twice a month that made Voom special. Look at these movies.

Halloween
The Thing
The Exorcist
The Omen
The Fog
Poltergeist

I believe none of those movies have been shown in HD on any other channel. Just a few examples as there is many more.

Bad rap or not there is not enough there for two channels. The term monsters pretty much suggests both genres.

Monster's schedule for today:

1:15 am OMEN III: THE FINAL CONFLICT
3:15 am PIÑATA: SURVIVAL ISLAND
4:45 am TROLL 2
6:30 am THE CRAWLING EYE
8:00 am SCANNERS
9:45 am STRANGELAND
11:15 am OMEN III: THE FINAL CONFLICT
1:15 pm PIÑATA: SURVIVAL ISLAND
2:45 pm TROLL 2
4:30 pm STARGATE
6:45 pm SCANNERS
8:30 pm PHANTASM IV: OBLIVION
10:15 pm BLOOD OF THE VAMPIRE
11:45 pm STARGATE

True enough on the schedule by day----and that isa big improvement from what it was in the dark days. but lok at the schedule by month and you will see far more repeats withina short time tha you would on a TMC, FOXMO, AMC or even IFC.

As for the comparison to the new channels I agree. most havea lot of repeats. taht is why i don't want to see MGM HD 2 either. What was being discussed is whether Rainbow/VOOM could sustain yet another channel that is close in concept to an exiting one. the fact that WFN and Smithsonian could not so so either is really irrelevant.

IF VOOM returns or even continues on Cablevision I don't see a new channel. That is all i a m saying.

Bad rap or not there is not enough there for two channels. The term monsters pretty much suggests both genres.
Gee, I don't remember suggesting that they had to only show the existing films. I was just speculating about a genre that would have enough appeal to grow with.

I am sorry if I made it seem like you said that. My comment is that they could not provide enough content for what they had---and that they were already providing a fair amount of sci fi. Again more VOOM channels being created is a highly unlikely event.

I honestly think that VOOM's biggest mistake was trying to program so many channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CONGRATS ECHOSTAR! 922 wins best of CES award!

Just wanted to say THANKS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts