VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I cant wait for DirecTV to now get the Voom Contract. I bet since they have no big contract, directv could get it for $2 a sub and sell it for $3.95 per sub like a movie channel package.

That would be an in your face to Charlie.

Directv will NOT be picking up VOOM. VOOM is on life support and will be dead within a few months.

The fools! The only thing separating Dish from DirecTV was VOOM. They had 15 exclusive channels and I especially liked the movie channels.And no matter how many channels DTV added Dish would always have that many more. Now, without VOOM they are just DirecTV2 and right now DTV has more channels. VOOM was the only thing keeping me from abandoning Dish. So.......goodbye Dish.....goodbye guys. See you on AVS Forum and possibly another part of Sat Guys.

If you leave Dish over the demise of Voom, then that is pretty sad and simple minded.

And why would that be? Maybe he liked the Voom channels, they certainly were a reason that I got Dish a long time ago, and I've been watching Voom ever since. Maybe you didn't watch them but some of us did. I watched Monsters HD and Film Fest all the time, Monsters HD was my favorite channel of all the channels Dish carried, standard or high def. Film Fest was not far behind. So they wrote me back today that I still can have Chiller on 199, so I go to see it and it's standard def and it's in the next programming tier and I can't afford to upgrade to the next level.

Listen, I understand Dish adding the channels they did because they must compete and these were all big name national networks going HD. What pisses me off is that taken away were 15 24-hour true high def channels without commercials.

Have you scanned the new channels yet? I did that today and found very little high def content. I found alot of 4:3 programming and stretched cartoons and programs and upscaled (and not well upscaled) standard definition that was re-sized to fit a 16:9 screen, in other words CUT from a 4:3 image. Please don't tell me we got a benefit from these channels and that there was no loss with Voom being gone. The only one I see that is true high def all the time is MGM, thank God there was one gift in this.

I wanted to add this, I just called Dish and the first thing customer service asked was "Is this about the Voom Channels." Hmm..maybe a few calls today?

Then he went on to tell me that they were never true HD channels, they were mpeg-2 and took too much bandwidth (if they weren't hd how could they take so much bandwidth)...then I told him about all the stretched stuff and black bars on the new channels and he asked if I knew how to change my aspect ratio....I said thank you but I don't prefer to stretch my programming to make it look like high def. I felt like he considered me a real idiot.

Seen a couple posts that the receiver just jumped to the "You have a Dish 500" channel. Not sure why it ended up there instead of an HD channel that was past the voom range.

There is no doubt that Voom gave dish an edge. This was unique programming.
animania was great animated HD programming. Toon SUCKS.
As do most of the other channels compared to the HD quality programming that was presented on many of the voom channels.

INDEED Voom was used as a tool to get customers when there was so little HD content available. There still isn't much and Voom was good stuff.
I for one am extremely disappointed. Take away a channel like gallery HD and add a fricking fishing channel? Get a grip guys. Loosing voom sucks.
Dish network HD Now sucks without voom which certainly gave them an edge.
Pissed. Hell I would give up this lot of Garbage new ad filled channels for the 15 voom any day.
Yaesumofo

NOW that we're all Voomless, HD is so overrated now that it's not even funny. I've got around 30 HD channels now give or take but for the life of me I CAN'T EVER FIND ANYTHING WORTH WATCHING IN HD perod. I'm constantly flipping the remote and like most of you have said above half the freaking programming's not in HD so the crazy thing is why keep paying for something that at the end of the day you're still not happy? I guess since I'm paid up this month I'll stick around to see what gives before making a move.

If two nights ago when everything was great with the new addition of more HD channels I was at a 10 but now it's more like a 2.5 with Dishnetwork.:mad:

If Voom gave E* an edge it would still be on E*. Fact is Voom did not give E* an edge... in fact it did the exact opposite. Ask the retailers.
I agree it didnt give them an edge a few months ago, because E* didnt have the more mainstream channels also. They had to market Voom as a big part of their HD package, versus how D* did with channels that people were familiar with. Now however, the national playing field is pretty even and, , Voom might be a nice addition for one of the companies to have.

One thing I have learned over the years with Dish is that you can't complain about anything. The moment you do it, they will hit you in the face and cut the service.

We used to have Voom HD here in Puerto Rico but some local folks started calling Dish with complaints about the weak signal from 61.5 satellite a couple years ago. What do you think Dish do to correct the problem? BANNED ALL VOOM CHANNELS for Puerto Rico subscribers and "PROBLEM SOLVED"!!!

They leave us with 5 HD channels for $10.

Now they use the same correcting principle for you guys in the cont. US. You complaint about Voom reruns, repeats, lack of new programming?

NO PROBLEM!!!

Now you have 22 "new" "HD" channels with the same SD programming as their basic counterparts. The only thing you'll see in HD is the channel logo!

Not to mention TONS of commercials and adds.

In my humble opinion, we ended with less viewing options, so at the end we are the one who lose.

And remember don't complain with Dish unless you want your service CUT from it roots.

DishBoy_PR.

That sounds tragically familiar. I think I remember reading something in the forums about the "Puerto Rico Blackout" a while back. Ultimately, though, speaking from my point of view (and probably the points of a lot of others), without the VOOM channels, there's no difference between D* and E*. Thusly, if E* wants to shut off my service, more power to them. I sell the hardware on Craigslist, and use it to buy better D* hardware. No company would be stupid enough to cut service to paying users, unless they're abusive.. Would they? Is Cowboy Charlie's ego really that out of control?

Then he went on to tell me that they were never true HD channels, they were mpeg-2 and took too much bandwidth (if they weren't hd how could they take so much bandwidth)

I guess he never had to deal with the whole 942 -> 622 upgrade mess due to VOOM going MPEG-4 :)

If Voom gave E* an edge it would still be on E*. Fact is Voom did not give E* an edge... in fact it did the exact opposite. Ask the retailers.
This is not black and white. I believe it did give them an edge but their contract with Voom worked against them by requiring that Voom be included in the basic HD package. That is what worked against them because a lot of new customers didn't want to pay for a $20.00 HD package and therefore chose D*.

Thus Dish looked for an excuse to break the contract. If Voom would not have sued and would have accepted being in the optional package, I bet Dish wouldn't have dropped them.

Roy

Brown Shoes

I must admit I feel like a pair of brown shoes at a formal wedding! The shows and channels I love the most inevitably are the ones that the majority seemingly can do without.
I am truly angry at losing channels like Gallery and Voom News, Rush and World Cinema.
Why is it that anything with a cultural interest or a unique perspective is dismissed by Dish--often in deference to adding yet another sports channel? How did Charlie become the de facto grantor of public opinion? Couldn’t Dish open its coffers and support some cultural or unique programming--even if it's not really profitable? Is money the only controlling factor at Echo Star? How about a change of attitude that takes into account viewers who might enjoy a different perspective?
I suppose that I should be grateful for the addition of so many new channels. I’ll try to control my enthusiasm over being able to watch a 24 hour fishing channel. Ah, yes, all fins…all the time! How about the west coast feed of a movie channel? Oh, that’s right I have a PVR that Dish has pushed for years. How about the SciFi Channel that is managing to show programs like Jake 2.0 in SD when Mark Cuban’s channel was airing it in full 1080i over a year ago?
I don’t pretend to understand the business intricacies of these decisions even though I’ve read the court decision against Voom. But, just once, just once mind you, I’d like to see us poor bastards in brown shoes win one!

I jumped to dish when voom came aboard. Dish will be going dark this week in my home.

Direc is comming back.

Voom was unique and set dish apart from everyone else- F*** THEM!

Last edited by a moderator:
I jumped to dish when voom came aboard. Dish will be going dark this week in my home.

Direc is comming back.

Voom was unique and set dish apart from everyone else- F***THEM!

Very mature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)