VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
:rolleyes:

I find it hard to believe that any significant number of people left Dish due to Voom being removed.

I'd say it is more likely due to DirecTV's HD and advertising push.

D*s marketing machine has been going full blast since last year. If that was the case I would assume the previous quarters #s would be poor dating back to last year and further. Voom was removed in May- the first month of the quarter that was just reported. Another non believer:rolleyes:

Look at the numbers over the last year... D* has been adding people like crazy, Dish has been adding very few new people. That was even with Voom! Voom was also removed in the 2nd month of the last quarter, not 1st.

Even FitzAusTex doesn't believe Voom had little to do with Dish's drop of customers this quarter.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

On a side note, I just switch to D* last week. It was a hard choice for me because I like E*'s hardware and their new HD additions. Without the new additions it would have been an easy decision, instead I debated it for days over what to do. In the end D* won because of their sports, the fact that my locals are coming in HD in October, and price.

Look at the numbers over the last year... D* has been adding people like crazy, Dish has been adding very few new people. That was even with Voom! Voom was also removed in the 2nd month of the last quarter, not 1st.

Even FitzAusTex doesn't believe Voom had little to do with Dish's drop of customers this quarter.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

Thats fine. I do buy it. The voice of the subscribers were heard. They voted with their wallet.

On a side note, I just switch to D* last week. It was a hard choice for me because I like E*'s hardware and their new HD additions. Without the new additions it would have been an easy decision, instead I debated it for days over what to do. In the end D* won because of their sports, the fact that my locals are coming in HD in October, and price.

Enjoy. My locals are not carried by E* and will not be for awhile. I'm giving D* a hard look as they have had my locals for over a year. Waiting to see if Voom shows up anywhere. I will not be waiting much longer though.

Enjoy. My locals are not carried by E* and will not be for awhile. I'm giving D* a hard look as they have had my locals for over a year. Waiting to see if Voom shows up anywhere. I will not be waiting much longer though.
If you are waiting for Voom to show up somewhere you can stop waiting - regardless of how I feel about them they are done and gone. It's like believing that Firefly will return to tv someday. Too many people are satisfied with crap tv.

D*s marketing machine has been going full blast since last year. If that was the case I would assume the previous quarters #s would be poor dating back to last year and further. Voom was removed in May- the first month of the quarter that was just reported. Another non believer:rolleyes:
I certainly feel that VOOM had an impact, but I feel that other factors such as DirecTV advertising, the push being made by Verizon FiOS TV and AT&T U-Verse, and the Cable Triple Play play a much larger role. Offhand, I would say E* lost more VOOM customers in the preceding months due to HD-Lite (as in my case) and the mandated reapeating of content during the 1st quarter than they did during the 2Q. Another huge factor people are glossing over is the fact AT&T is no longer signing up Dish Network subscibers...instead, they have elected to use their time and energy signing up U-Verse customers:

- AT&T signed up 116,000 Dish Network satellite customers during 1Q
- AT&T signed up only 3,000 Dish Network satellite customers during 2Q opting to focus on U-Verse deployment...

If you are waiting for Voom to show up somewhere you can stop waiting - regardless of how I feel about them they are done and gone. It's like believing that Firefly will return to tv someday. Too many people are satisfied with crap tv.

Hey - Firefly was made into a movie.:)

Don't be too sure. Voom had a large customer base when it went down and E* picked up a large number of them just for those channels. When Dish killed Voom, I'm sure many of them hit the doors. Maybe not 700K, but a substantial number nonetheless. DirecTV has definitely made some impact and when they lite up more locals on their newest bird, we will see more numbers headed their way, at least for the length of a contract. Dish will have to provide incentives for capturing the steady flow of churning customers looking for the next deal to save money. This is the main reason service providers in several industries have gone from 12 month contracts to 18 months, and then to two years.

I thought the Voom Stand alone service only had 30,000 to 40,000 customers and that is why it failed. I doubt Vooms take down attributed to very many lost subs.

It only makes sense to come to the conclusion that removing Voom cost E* many subs. Yet there will be people that deny this and state that the decline in subs is do to the economy, weather, ... Removing 15 channels of anything would piss people off.

How many of the most vocal voom supporters on this site have left Dish because of the voom take down?

How many of the most vocal voom supporters on this site have left Dish because of the voom take down?

Not me. If Voom was on DirecTV I would have jumped right away.

After thorough investigation, there really is no comparison to a Dish DVR and even if DirecTV did pick-up Voom today, I would not switch because of my PocketDish addiction. If Dish services Hawaii, I'll activate my External Storage feature and get even more addicted to the Dish DVR.

I think Dish will fix a bunch of problems soon and kick some HD butt.

Charlie has almost pulled a magic rabbit out of his hat, almost. But true Charlie WOW is yet to come I believe.

How about streaming your DVR recordings via WiFi? Something cool is coming soon.

I haven't switched yet basically cause I'm hoping beyond hope that they kiss and make up. Sometime in '08 I'll be faced with the moral dilemma of 'put up or shut up', and if my morals win, I'll have to switch.

I am with you, I am under contract and I have little hope as well. If I have proof that this is impossible which is close right now I will switch because I would rather have the NFL package.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts