Voom HD For Sale?

Honestly, with all of these "quality" HD channels that are supposed to launch by the end of the year, the days of Voom's niche are just about over. They see the writing on the wall, and I'm sure Charlie see it too. He likely just had to sign them up to get 61.5 Rainbow1 (which was a good move).

But if he can drop them, then that makes room for 15 other HD channels, and with Weather, USA, CNN, etc... on the horizon, that makes sense. Besides the Voom channels had a role back in 2003 when there were only about 10 other HD channels out there. But with the number of "other" HD channels about to surge, the Voom Channels are no longer as valuable as they once were.

Honestly, that sounds like your opinion and not fact. As a former Voom DBS subscriber, I find it really annoying when people say that the Voom channels are low quality and are just useless fillers taking up space that future stations could use. Just because you don't watch them doesn't mean they are value-less to everyone else. Every Voom channel has content that will appeal to some people. For me, these stations are the reason I switched to Dish and are the reason I have not switched back to cable.

Personally, I get a great deal of mileage out of the VOOM channels...although less now that every and anyone seems to be going to HD these days. VOOM has been giving us additional HD programming choices for 3 1/2 years...since when is more choice a bad thing?

VOOM, as a programmer, had a golden opportunity to gain significant marketshare with their HD channels. They had an 12-18 window to make the entire 15 channel lineup available to all providers, for next-to-nothing, and sign long-term carriage deals...just let the programmer bring the channels active when, and if, they have the space.

Such is life...

In the long term, I don't think the VOOM channels will have any impact on bringing new HD content to the line-up.

A few of the Voom channels are good. Don't watch 'em if you don't like 'em. Block them out if you want.

I think it would funny if DirecTV would add the Voom channels though ;)

What's this? Reducing the number of Voom channels to make way for other "more desirable" channels?

No. But the Voom animation channel for instance could be redone in a big way. There is a lot of programming available out there that the channel is missing out on. Like animation for more mature audiences to give it a more broad appeal. They could show things like Fritz the Cat uncut late at night. They could show anime. It doesnt have to be in English either... just subtitles. If the Kung Fu channel can do it they can to. They can show Mr Magoo only so many times... uh, right?

Last edited:
I agree. Some people here are trashing the Voom channels but I bet D* would love to get their hands on them. I think it wouldn't be good for E* if D* somehow stole Voom away.

That would be interesting. DirecTV and Comcast paying Dish for programming.

I'm sure Dish is paying Comcast for its sportsnet. My local RSN is Comcast Sportsnet. The two MASN's are pretty much useless right now. I did get an email from some director at MASN stating my zip code was added to their database but still haven't seen any live local games yet.

No. But the Voom animation channel for instance could be redone in a big way. There is a lot of programming available out there that the channel is missing out on. Like animation for more mature audiences to give it a more broad appeal. They could show things like Fritz the Cat uncut late at night. They could show anime. It doesnt have to be in English either... just subtitles. If the Kung Fu channel can do it they can to. They can show Mr Magoo only so many times... uh, right?

They really do need to add an Anime Channel. That would be cool...

Hey Voom!

Honestly, that sounds like your opinion and not fact. As a former Voom DBS subscriber, I find it really annoying when people say that the Voom channels are low quality and are just useless fillers taking up space that future stations could use. Just because you don't watch them doesn't mean they are value-less to everyone else. Every Voom channel has content that will appeal to some people. For me, these stations are the reason I switched to Dish and are the reason I have not switched back to cable.
Well, you are right, It is my opinion. This is a forum so thats not out of bounds.

I don't attack that Voom has a unique quality with their Channels that is appreciated by many. But I see that like INHD2, they have run their course as far as usefulness to the providers is concerned, or will have once the slate of new HD offerings actually arrives by the end of the year as stated by D*.

Even though there are many who really like the Voom channels, I think that their appreciation of them will do as much to keep them on the air, as much as the former Voom customers where able to keep the Voom DBS service afloat.

I expect that if Voom does not find additional carriers very soon, then they will have missed the boat and will not be able to get their way into Cable lineups due to the expanded HD offerings. I would then expect Charlie to reduce his payment to Voom, since he has to split the pie up with more HD channels. Voom will not have enough funds. They will likely consolidate their HD channels to a few, add commercials, and try to at least sell those few to other carriers. I'm still surprise they haven't cut a deal with FiOS yet.

Buy hey, its just an opinion.

These are the days of the HD DVR. There is no reason to have all 15 Voom channels any more when

they can fit ALL there Programming on about 5 Channgel. I can then DVR the shows I want to watch even if they are only shown at 2AM.

Think HD DVR Guys. Why waist bandwidth? There are better HD channels out there today already up that Dish does not carry.

Think HD DVR Guys. Why waste bandwidth? There are better HD channels out there today already up that Dish does not carry.

A DVR can only record so many programs at one time and the hard disk is limited. Mine is more than half full with Planet Earth.

Voom is not wasted bandwidth, its better HD programming than most of what is being offered currently. There are no channels out there anywhere offering the quality and content Voom offers so I don't see how anyone can say they have out lived their usefulness. Voom is the HD leader and will be for some time to come.

Better HD channels not on E*? Like what?

Like I said before, let's add, not reduce. Your preferred HD content is not being held up by a lack of where to put it.

Not to mention...just because you don't like KungFu or GamePlay or whatever doesn't mean the channel should be removed or that it is a bad channel. When I had the Vooms on DishNetwork, a friend of mine living with us at the time constantly watched the stuff. More than DiscoveryHD! He was always watching EquatorHD, GalleryHD, RushHD, and RaveHD. Very interesting content that no one else had.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)