Voom HD For Sale?

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Well if Direct and others want more HD they will half to look at Voom.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/voom041707.htm

Speculation resurfaces that parent Rainbow Media may be sold.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (April 17, 2007) -- Cablevision may sell its programming arm Rainbow Media, which includes the 15 Voom High-Definition channels.

That's according to Wall Street analysts quoted in today's Financial Times.

The newspaper reports that Cablevision may be preparing to sell Rainbow to make itself more desirable as a takeover target. The cable operator has undergone various struggles over the past few years, in part due to an internal fight over the former Voom satellite TV service.

After Voom folded as a satellite business, Cablevision kept its 15 original high-def channels and added them to its unit Rainbow Media, which also includes the Independent Film Channel and AMC.

Several publications today reported that Time Warner may be interested in buying Cablevision, which is based in New York and serves the tri-state NY area.

According to the Financial Times, Cablevision refused to comment on the speculation. But the newspaper writes that a "major shareholder" says Rainbow could be offered for sale any day now.

FT reports that Time Warner, Comcast and Liberty Media could be interested in Rainbow.

Liberty Media is expected to take control of DIRECTV in the second half of the year. The company secured the satcaster in a stock swap with News Corp. late last year.

Voom could aid DIRECTV's plan to expand its national HD lineup to 100 channels by year's end. The Voom lineup includes niche channels on subjects such as fashion, world sports and horror films.

Analysis:

Press reports said last January that Liberty Media may be interested in Rainbow. However, in recent weeks, two DIRECTV executives have been critical of Voom's programming, suggesting it's not top quality. The dismissive remarks could suggest a reduction in interest in the deal.

Comcast and Time Warner could use slices of Voom's programming for their HD On Demand offering until they have sufficient capacity to add more high-def channels.

As of now, EchoStar is the only TV provider in the United States to carry all 15 Voom channels. EchoStar has an equity stake in Voom.

Honestly, with all of these "quality" HD channels that are supposed to launch by the end of the year, the days of Voom's niche are just about over. They see the writing on the wall, and I'm sure Charlie see it too. He likely just had to sign them up to get 61.5 Rainbow1 (which was a good move).

But if he can drop them, then that makes room for 15 other HD channels, and with Weather, USA, CNN, etc... on the horizon, that makes sense. Besides the Voom channels had a role back in 2003 when there were only about 10 other HD channels out there. But with the number of "other" HD channels about to surge, the Voom Channels are no longer as valuable as they once were.

They should combine all those Voom channels into 3 or 4 channels then the repeating of programs and shows will go down. The bandwith will also be used more efficiently with just 3 or 4 channels and that might make it more appealing to Directv and other cable companies.

I can only think of a couple of VOOM channels that I wouldn't miss (HDNews if CNN HD is added, GamePlay, and whatever the name of their fashion channel is). If E* were to drop the whole suite, there would be rioting in the streets from current HD subs.

But you're right, if in fact the number of "other" HD channels surges, then VOOM as an exclusive will have lived out it's usefullness. Now is the time to market those channels to the other providers.

Well I think having the room is not a issue right now due to there really not any new HD Channels out there. Folks half to remember that no carrier can carry a HD Channel until the Network gets it up and running. Right now most Networks don't have a HD Version of their channel up and running. Now there is some that say they will have one up and running but most of those will not be until late this year or next. Until then it is a waiting game on the Networks to get their HD Version of their channel up. Overall I love the Voom channels glad we have them and if other carries are going to make claims to have more HD they most likely will half to look at Voom. Or wait like everyone one else for more National Networks like CNN,USA Network to get a HD version of a channel up and running. Once that happens any carrier can get the channel but for now at least we have Voom and can get any new HD Channel that comes. Voom is Great HD they have things in HD that you can see anywhere else.

If 5 new HD channels come live by the end of the year, say SCIFI, CNN, History, etc, can E unload any of the VOOM channels to make room for them without any kind of penalty, or would E have to keep all of them. I'm not sure contract obligations would allow portions of VOOM to be deleted so other more "mainstream" HD channels could be added in their place. I'm not versed in all the politics or legalities of all this.

So you guys would rather keep the HD fishtank than Voom.

Crazy, crazy stuff.

You realize that Voom HD is really what serparates E* from the competition, right? And you want to ELIMINATE the HD programming that rounds out their offerings rather than force their hand on MPEG-4 and adding capacity?

Again--crazy, crazy stuff. But everyone's entitled to their views, of course.

Hey, I want Cinemax HD and SciFi HD as much as the next person--but let's not amputate before we've looked at all the (more viable) options, m'kay?

If keeping all the VOOM channels wouldn't impede adding other HD channels, by all means, keep them. There is a market for all the VOOM channels no matter how small or large.

You guys have to stop repeating yourselves about Voom repitition mythe. You must not watch the channels. It's ok to be happy with the few HD channels you must like but for those who look for variety in programing the suite of Vooms is a must. Gallery, Rush, Family Room, Equator, Worldsport, Filmfest and Anamania are the ones I can speak of for the last month and there is a ton of new stuff on there all the time. I don't have time to watch the others lately.
HDNews I still find the best source for just the facts solid news and weather. That's worth $5 a month by itself over the same FOX, MSNbc, CNN blah-blah-blah hype garbage.

If 5 new HD channels come live by the end of the year, say SCIFI, CNN, History, etc, can E unload any of the VOOM channels to make room for them without any kind of penalty, or would E have to keep all of them. I'm not sure contract obligations would allow portions of VOOM to be deleted so other more "mainstream" HD channels could be added in their place. I'm not versed in all the politics or legalities of all this.

Currently, no. They must carry all of them. But sooner or later that contract expires, and I'm sure things can be revisited.

I wouldn't be too sure that Voom will go away or compress into fewer channels, especially if Liberty Media gets their hands on them. D* may well need those 15 channels to pump up the number of their HD offerings.

Yeah like I have said CNN other Networks don't have a HD version of their channel up yet so until they do. It really don't mean anything right now. Right now Direct in lacking more for HD so they would be smart to add them.

There are no other channels, SD or HD, that offer what you get on Equator, Rush, Ultra, Gameplay, World Cinema, World Sport, or Gallery. As for repeat programming - not everyone has a DVR and not everyone can watch at the same time. These are truly quality HD channels that repeat no more than National Geographic HD. A&E HD can hardly be called HD. TNTHD has been smart enough to put Stargate and Firefly on.

If you don't like repetition then how can you stand NGCHD, FoodHD or HGTVHD? I have seen the same storm stories on the Weather Channel for years now so I hope they get some new stuff before they go HD.

Yes, there is a lack of HD programming so lets fill up the mostly empty HD channels that exist now and if you need room in the future, dump the redundant music channels and shopping channels before you drop the only channels that actually do provide great HD programming 24/7. Lets not cut anything when we don't need to.

I for one (for many?) would be most disappointed in the loss of the voom channels. I don't watch them all, but I find the ones I do watch are well worth it. I don't mind the repetition at all; that gives me more chances with my limited viewing time to see much of the programming. And in the rest of the HD line-up, where else do we get both 24/7 HD (OK - "HD Lite", but getting better) and no commercials...? (Maybe in the premiums that I don't get?)

and no commercials

GOOD POINT!

I had to stop watching AMC when they went to an ad filled channel format.

I sometimes catch a member of my family watching a movie on TNT and I pull out the DVD and ask if they wouldn't rather have the commercial free version running?!

Yes... the best thing about Voom is the lack of commercials. I dont watch Rave much but I can imagine it was constantly interspliced with commercials it would be far less enjoyable. I would certainly downgrade my rating the movie channels if they added commercials. Bravo was another great channel in the past that unwatchable now. Also, pretty much everything is uncut. Another big plus. Although... I do agree that there are several channels that whlie they do have their niche they probably dont make much business sense as they stand now. But their formats could be changed to add more programming to draw in more viewers.

What's this? Reducing the number of Voom channels to make way for other "more desirable" channels? I thought the object was to get more HD channels, not play swap the channels based on who thinks what's more popular. Anyway, I like Voom programming and want to see much more HD programming in addition to Voom, not in place of.

Swapping LNB's...Install Question

Why is my receiver doing this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts