voom hd reciever question.

one028

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
southeast michigan
voom hd reciever question. stretching hd signal..

on the dishnetwork 811 reciever you can stretch hdtv broadcasts with the bars on the sides. i know you can do it with your tv for the sd channels but i want to watch my local hd broadcast and dont want the burn in when they broadcast with the black bars on the sides....anyone know if this reciever stretches like the the dish 811?

No, unfortunately it doesn't. You cannot change geometry of an HD channel. The only thing you can do is to switch to an SD mode (e.g. 480i) and then you will be able to stretch. Since the programs you are talking about are most likely upconverted SD anyway, this will not affect the quality too much.

Ilya said:
No, unfortunately it doesn't. You cannot change geometry of an HD channel. The only thing you can do is to switch to an SD mode (e.g. 480i) and then you will be able to stretch. Since the programs you are talking about are most likely upconverted SD anyway, this will not affect the quality too much.
my hughes e86 can do it. and the previous posters 811 can. Isnt vooms moto supposed to be more advanced? Will it ever be able to stretch it? is it the hardare or is it the software?

vurbano said:
my hughes e86 can do it. and the previous posters 811 can. Isnt vooms moto supposed to be more advanced?
Yeah, I miss this capability too! Except, in my case I would like to be able to unstretch certain programs stretched by OTA broadcasters. I hate to see those stretched faces and unfortunately my GWIII cannot change that for HD signal...
Will it ever be able to stretch it?
I wish I could predict the future ;)
is it the hardare or is it the software?
I think it's both. First, the video decoder DSP chips need to have this capability built-in (I don't know if they do or don't in the current STB). Second, the software that controls the DSP need to support the feature as well.

your TV may be able to do it though. I know my Mits can expand in HD mode. I use this to get rid of blank bars that HBOHD and local stations put on 4:3 programs. check the manual

If your tv is properly calibrated, burn in is not that big of an issue. I've been watching 16:9 material on my old 4:3 tv now for 4 years and there is NO trace of burn in at all.

Ilya said:
I think it's both. First, the video decoder DSP chips need to have this capability built-in (I don't know if they do or don't in the current STB).
Can we please find out? Is the voom hardware capable or not? software can be upgraded, but I am certainly never going to buy a moto with old technology!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts