Voom in Phoenix

Ordered Voom last night

I'm hoping the install goes as planned.

I called back today requesting that they put up a 24" dish since I've had d* in the past and it would crap out like clockwork when a dark cloud came around.

I'm in the 101 / I-17 area.

I put an OTA antenna up so I could watch the Super Bowl in HD. I wonder if the Voom OTA antenna is any better / worse than what I've already got:

15-2160.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_003_001_002_000&product_id=15-2160

It's rated for 75 mile range and I've got it pointed at the lights on south mountain. Antennaweb says the towers are 24 miles away and my HD performance has been just fine.

The install is scheduled for 2/21. I'm looking forward to it.

Shawn

Shawn,
I had the Voom installer use my existing antenna (Winegard PR4400 with Winegard AP8275 pre-amp) instead of the one they provide. He just fed my existing antenna coax lead (from output of the pre-amp power supply) into the multi-switch, which feeds 3 Voom receivers.
I've never had any OTA issues with the Voom receivers. Not only do I receive all of the local Phoenix digital channels, but also receive a few Tucson channels as well.

I suggest you continue using your existing antenna. The antenna Voom supplies is the Winegard Sensar GS-2200.

Let us know how the install goes. You will love Voom! Good luck.
Ray

Hey Shawn95GT,

I live near 35th Ave and the L101. Let me know how many OTA channels you get with your antenna. I have the one installed with the Voom dish and wonder if I would get more channels with a better antenna. I need to see if they will change out our dish to a 24" as we get rain fade on days like today.

Hope your install goes well. I had issues with the installer last year leaving without saying anything before he even got started. I had to call them back and wait another day! Then the guy cut my Cat5 cable in the attic and had to splice it back. :(

azquadfan said:
I need to see if they will change out our dish to a 24" as we get rain fade on days like today.
I have the 18" dish (since July 2004) and rain fade has not been a big problem with me. It only happens when it rains very hard.

RPacion said:
I have the 18" dish (since July 2004) and rain fade has not been a big problem with me. It only happens when it rains very hard.

I missed most of Nascar Live yesterday on Speedvision due to the rain. Yes it would drop out completely when it rained hard but it would pixelate during light rain and the picture would freeze at times. I never had satellite before but my friend across the street didn't loose signal with his satellite provider. He has a 24" dish. :confused:

Hello all you PHX people. I'm newly registered to the forums and a Voom sub for a few months.
Nice to see you all.

azquadfan said:
Yes it would drop out completely when it rained hard but it would pixelate during light rain and the picture would freeze at times.
Really? During the storm this past weekend, I did not lose the satellite signal at all, well at least while I was watching, and there were quite a few very heavy downpours during that time. On a clear day, my sat signal strength is 97. During the storms, I checked and saw the sat signal strength drop as low as 75, but I was still getting rock solid audio & video. I wonder if your dish is not optimally pointed - what is your sat signal strength on a clear day?

azquadfan said:
Hey Shawn95GT,

I live near 35th Ave and the L101. Let me know how many OTA channels you get with your antenna. I have the one installed with the Voom dish and wonder if I would get more channels with a better antenna. I need to see if they will change out our dish to a 24" as we get rain fade on days like today.

Hope your install goes well. I had issues with the installer last year leaving without saying anything before he even got started. I had to call them back and wait another day! Then the guy cut my Cat5 cable in the attic and had to splice it back. :(
Will do. I'll do a channel scan with my built-in tuner and have that to compare to the Voom STB.

I requested a 24" dish and the CSR said no problem. The only issue will be if they can't get the dish to the installer in time.

I called this morning and they said the installer recieved the equipment this morning.

Looks good so far for the 21st.

Shawn

:confused: Does anyone know yet what they are going to do for HD post VOOM April 30th ???

bobaphx said:
:confused: Does anyone know yet what they are going to do for HD post VOOM April 30th ???

No, but I need my HD!!!!!!!!!!!
Any suggestions? And I'm not going back to Cox. :mad:

bobaphx said:
I have D*'s HD pack with Samsung receiver + Cox Cable with 1 HD-PVR and 1HD receiver. That gives me 16 HD channels including locals or 10 without. Cox in Vegas has Cinemax HD. Cox says they should be rolling out Cinemax HD, TNT-HD and EOD by end of year. Not ideal, but I think this is the best combo for the money now.

bobaphx said:
SoupMama...
Why so unhappy with COX?

2 reasons. I think Cox is way overpriced. Voom only cost me $10 more per month than what I was paying for Cox analog cable. I also didn't like the flippant attitude they showed when I wanted to cancel my service. They basically said "You'll be back. Let us know when you want us to hook you up again."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts