Voom in Phoenix

red ufo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
I'm getting Voom installed Monday. I can't wait and boy do I want to dump Cox Cable bad. I'm preparing my speech to tell Cox where to stick it!

Any other Phoenix people here?

My question is my tv a mitz 65' only has 2 component inputs. So I have the Xbox HD pack, and the DVD hooked up. Does voom have any inputs because I'll be needing 3 come monday.

I'll hate to unplug stuff when I need the Xbox. What are the viable solutions?

Also great job on these forums. I'm being telling everyone I know with HD about voom and spreading the word. :)

Here is what I would do

red ufo said:
I'm getting Voom installed Monday. I can't wait and boy do I want to dump Cox Cable bad. I'm preparing my speech to tell Cox where to stick it!

Any other Phoenix people here?

My question is my tv a mitz 65' only has 2 component inputs. So I have the Xbox HD pack, and the DVD hooked up. Does voom have any inputs because I'll be needing 3 come monday.

I'll hate to unplug stuff when I need the Xbox. What are the viable solutions?

Also great job on these forums. I'm being telling everyone I know with HD about voom and spreading the word. :)

The Voom receiver has DVI, Component, Svideo, Composite outputs. Like you my Panasonic has only 2 component inputs. So since there is really no difference on the DVD player using component vs svideo, I connect the DVD player Svideo and connect the Voom box to component.

Bill

I guess thats is the best work around for zero dollars. But I paid 200 bucks for the DVD progressive scan when I bought the TV to see better resolution. You can see the difference.

I think I'll have to look up splits or switchers it will be a pain I think.

Just a post to say I'm planning on getting Voom in Phoenix before the 5/31 deadline. Question for y'all. I live in the Biltmore area. I know there's a huge tower in the Wal-Mart parking lot at 36th St. & Thomas (about a mile away). Does this tower deliver any/most of the local stations' signals in Phoenix? Or are most/all of them delivered from the top of South Mountain? Wherever they are, would I have trouble getting signal in the Biltmore area?

Any other issues to be concerned about in the Phoenix area? How are the installers here?

FYI for those in Phoenix. Installs, Inc. doesn't have a technician in Phoenix so they assigned my installation to Synergy Communication Partners (602-442-0332). I got installation availability as early as 7 days out (pretty good I thought) but chose the first Saturday I could get which was 17 days out.

New in Phx

Had my install on Monday by synergy all went pretty smooth; had both dish & local antennas installed. I am pretty happy with the the hd stuff thats included but the hbo & regular channels break up & pixelatte a bit to much during daytime viewing seems to get better at night. Been less than a week tho so hopefully things will improve, overall I'm not as pleased as I thought I would be but not ready to give up on it yet. Any similar experiences in Phoenix area?

picture breaks up in phoenix

Had Voom for a month now and there seems to be a lot of picture breakup and the Voom people only offer the "unplug the box" answer. Wonder who you have to pay off to get a 30 inch dish and even will that help.

I live in scottsdale and never experience breakup. call synergy back and have them tweak your dish.

I live up in Prescott and am scheduled to have Voom installed on the 18th, but due to equipment shortages it will be longer.

The equipment is to be installed by Dwight at JC or JV Video. Has anyone had an install by this company and if so what can you tell me about them. I am getting kinda nervous about it since I have read so many posts about bad installs, it's like rolling the dice when and if the installer shows up.

Voom in Yuma

Down here in Yuma, waiting for the 18th for my install. My problem is line of site (LOS) due to trees. According to Dish site under Products & zipcodes ref the Yuma zipcode (85364), indicate to receive the 61.5 satellite I would have to point to a AZ-170, EL-51 & SK-92. Now, my dish setup menu after entering the zipcode indicates AZ-101, EL-23 & SK-NA. This could spell no LOS of sight for me if the Dish site is correct. I can squeeze thru for the latter. We should be pretty close for heading and elevation even down here. Any input would be appreciated.

Dish 500-4 receivers (811, 508, 5000)
Main TV-Sony-KV34XBR910
Onkyo Receiver
Sony DVD
Infinity Speakers
X-box

I'm in Mesa here.. awaiting installation. My installer called yesterday and said that they had not recieved the equipment yet from Voom, so I had to reschedule my appointment to the 19th. FWIW, I signed up for the service from their website. I wonder if it makes a difference or not whether you do a phone order or internet order?

I hope this is not a sign of things to come, although I'm sure i'll be happy. Currently have D*TV and am really not impressed with the lack of programming on their SD channels Figure I'd move up to HD for the better content.

I can tell you that Synergy doesn't have their stuff together in my experience. Their tech. was good (but slow) when he came out but their back-office staff messed up my install time several times.

As far as the pixellation, I haven't noticed that any more than I got it on Cox Digital Cable. However, my big problem is that the video will go totally black for 1.5-2 seconds every once in a while, but I won't lose audio. I have no idea what could be causing this but it's random on all channels at all times. And it seems to come in waves. Meaning I won't get it just once in an hour...I'll get it 2 or 3 times in about a minute and then it's OK for another hour or two and then it will flare up again. Not sure if it's happening on the OTA as well but I'll pay attention for that.

Has anyone here in phoenix been able to get their voom installed the last few days? Wondering if they've finally got equipment yet. My install is scheduled for Saturday the 19th.. *crossing fingers*

It would make things SOOO much easier if they would just let us do our own installations..

Today 6/17 between 1:15 & 1:45 PM my voom signal went to zero & just had black screen, anyone else in Phoenix run into this?

people all over the country ran into this. Apparently it had something to do with Voom's uplink to the satellite getting blocked by a big storm (wherever they are). I missed the last 5 minutes of Croatia-France because of it!

Hey all. I'm new to satellite (having just said farewell to Cox). One thing I've noticed is that all of my satellite programming is coming across with an EST schedule. Are the rest of you forced to watch everything on an east coast timing?

Also, all of the programming on PBS is a half hour early, even though I'm getting that from the OTA. What's going on with that?

WTF is going on with the installations in AZ?

I was scheduled for an install on June 18th, delayed because of equipment shortages just like everyone else. I finally got a call from the installer to re-schedule the install. They said the equipment was on the way to them and that they could install it as soon as it came in. I thought this was progress...then I checked my answering machine today.

The install company said the installations were on hold for now because the supplier wasn't paying the installers for their work. What the hell is going on! I feel like I'm back in Kindergarden again, why can't this ever be easy?

Sorry to hear! Where are you located?
My experiences with the local installers here in PHX/Chandler have been mostly positive. I had Voom installed within less than 2 weeks of ordering it. The installer was somewhat lazy with respect to properly positioning the OTA, so after giving it a few days (for the signal to tune itself :rolleyes: ), I called again. They were back 2 days, moved it to a proper location, and now my local channels have perfect reception.

I live in Prescott which is part of the problem, there are no local installers here and no one wants to drive up here. I think the company was trying to sub it out and they weren't paying the sub for his work. Anyways, I called Installers Inc directly and explained the situation, they were very helpful and got me in touch with a new installer, now I'm scheduled for Monday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Wish me luck!

After a month and a 1/2 of waiting, I finally got my Voom installed yesterday (I'm in Chandler). Monitor Satellite did the install - they weren't too great at returning my phone calls, but the installer who came out was very thorough and did a great job.

I ended up getting my first month free because of all the aggravation I went through. So if you have any install problems, be sure to call Voom and complain. They are getting innundated and ran out of receivers b/c of the promo they are offering. Since they're well aware of all their problems, they're handing out the free 1st month of service without much of an arguement.

The picture is phenomenal!