VOOM Installations

installation

me, too just got off phone with installer calling voom tommorrow to find out why :x

Here is a quote from Wil Hildenbrand at the Voom yahoogroup regarding the installation hold up.

In VOOM@yahoogroups.com, Wilt Hildenbrand <wilth@o...> wrote:

Pretty simple. We met today and decided that a bunch of issues were lining up to where we wouldn't want to install, or actually begin them in earnest, on Wednesday. Funny thing, when you first push on this stuff a bunch of things show up as little cracks. There is a load of code we want in the boxes before paying customers get them--even in preview mode, There were some missing process pieces that we need to plug in to keep installs running smoothly and timely, There were some pure workload items and an avalanche of orders that were hitting hard and everyone needed to take a breath. In the end we decided to push now, and possibly disappoint a bit but make the experience, when it occurred, a good one rather than a tenuous one. One of those things that would have been obvious in retrospect so we decided to take it head on. Sorry about the delay, it won't be longer than that, the stuff is all just details and all in reach....really. :) Wilt

Attempt to Acquire VOOM

Here is an email account of my experience with VOOM.
This seemed easeir then telling the story.
The latest part of this email was sent today.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
VOOM Customer Service,
Cancel my purchase/order for one VOOM satellite system.
After recent events with my own order with no reply to my concerns
and after reading SO MANY complaints on the internet from other delayed
subscribers and even Sears employees unable to provide a true demo of the VOOM product. I have no current interest in being a customer of Rainbow DBS Co.

Once again CANCEL my purchase/order and refund any charges already against my account.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx

--------Original Msg---------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 7:47 AM
To: 'INSTALLS inc Customer Service'
Cc: 'CustomerSupport@VOOM.com'
Subject: RE: Division 1: xxxxxxxxxxxx

I have been in contact with the local installer since 10/17 after receiving
your notice. The local installer received all of my equipment from you on 10/20
and I got approved to have a half day off from work for the install which the local
installer confirmed for the afternoon of 10/22 (today). Yesterday afternoon I
get a call that my install had been postponed till 11/4. My time off from work
today is committed and for no reason now. If the installer has the equipment and
the time to install then what is the delay. All that is left is to activate my STB
and send the satellite programming.
What are we waiting for???

xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: INSTALLS inc Customer Service [mailto:kenyac@installs.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 4:55 PM
To: xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Division 1: xxxxxxxxx

INSTALLS INC HAS BEEN TRYING TO REACH YOU BY PHONE IN REGARDS TO YOUR VOOM INSTALLATION. WE HAD A PROBLEM WITH OUR SCHEDULING SYSTEM THAT ALLOWED OUR AGENTS TO SCHEDULE YOUR INSTALLATION ON A DAY THAT WAS NOT AVAILABLE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS COMMUNICATION PLEASE SEND YOUR REPLY TO CLIENTSERVICES@INSTALLS.COM.

Yeah, that was dissapointed V* decided to pull the plug at the last minute. I think everyone should wait until V* get their problems resolved (no free V* period). They cannot get a stable demo at a Sears store so I imagine how it will be with their stb installed at home. Here is a message I posted at another thread:

In VOOM@yahoogroups.com, Wilt Hildenbrand <wilth@o...> wrote:

Pretty simple. We met today and decided that a bunch of issues were lining up to where we wouldn't want to install, or actually begin them in earnest, on Wednesday. Funny thing, when you first push on this stuff a bunch of things show up as little cracks. There is a load of code we want in the boxes before paying customers get them--even in preview mode, There were some missing process pieces that we need to plug in to keep installs running smoothly and timely, There were some pure workload items and an avalanche of orders that were hitting hard and everyone needed to take a breath. In the end we decided to push now, and possibly disappoint a bit but make the experience, when it occurred, a good one rather than a tenuous one. One of those things that would have been obvious in retrospect so we decided to take it head on. Sorry about the delay, it won't be longer than that, the stuff is all just details and all in reach....really. Wilt

Thanks Sean,
I should have known that an HD offering of that magnitude would have
many potholes in it. If they can't support their demo sites they surely
can't support the new customers.
I think the 921 will be a safer endeavor.

The process of getting a new service up and running is not easy and things don't always go well. I'd hold off on any decision about VOOM until it's actually been in operation for a while and the hardware and programming offerings can be evaluated.

Broken promises? That wouldn't happen if it was a DISH product...

Your investment in the hardware would be safer with Dish Network because you know that your Dish Network receiver would be a heck of a lot less likely to become a paperweight than it would be with Voom.

Thanks guys, I've been reading many of your observations and experiences with Dish and Dish hardware and I feel good about
going this direction. I'm signed up for the 921.
Looking forward to getting setup.

Whenever a business first starts its a big risk because it might not survive for a year even. A good example is AlphaStar. I was going to go with that service but the retailer at that time (back in 1997) recommended me to not get that service but Dish Network instead.

So who got VOOM Installed?

Today is the day VOOM installs are supposed to start.

Did you get yours installed?

Tell us about your install! Tell us about VOOM!

What would you want changed or made different? What do you like about it?

We want to know! :)

install

Cancelled again installer did not have any necessary equipment starting to wonder : :?:

VOOM installation this morning!

Pretty much a total fiasco. Box locks up continuously. Very
experienced installers had not been provided with adequate
information by VOOM. Had to hard reboot a couple of dozen times.
Currently have satellite acquired but can't do anything without box
freezing. VOOM tech support told installers that there are massive
problems with the downloads and that I am one of the few that
actually is getting any picture. Advised patience while they "work
out the problems". Good luck, y'all!

My satellite is working fine. The installers were great. I am not getting any OTA tho. Voom told the installers it was an issue and they would work it out.

I'm still undecided on picture quality, I'll need more time. It is at least as good as DVD, but I'm not sure if it is the best HD I've seen.

I have only seen HD for an extended time once, and that was on an Infocus 7200 and ABC MNF. I only have an Infocus 5700, so the lack of resolution might be why the quality isn't as good as I've seen before.

I'll give it more time before any final decisions though.

That beats the 7 of them that were working just a few days ago.

On the Music Channels do you see anything on screen or just hear music?

I have recently had mine installed and there were no problems what so ever. The dude from Installs was on the ball. Picture and channels are great.

Sugah are you just saying that because your a cablevision employee?

When is recently? Installs just started this morning.

One of the Moderators over at AVSForums is claiming HBO HD looks better on VOOM then it does on DirecTV.

Umm Only problem is HBO-HD is not on VOOM.

Wilt has confirmed there is no HBO-HD on VOOM, so whats Ken watching. :)

I cancelled my VOOM install after the last postponement (10/22).
Not worth the risk.
Sounds like mostly bad news, for the exception of a few fibs.