VOOM Installations

You should be able to get two lines at no extra cost so long as the total cable run doesn't exceed 125 feet. They now specify 125 feet for a single receiver and 250 feet for two receivers, iirc.

Ken F said:
You should be able to get two lines at no extra cost so long as the total cable run doesn't exceed 125 feet. They now specify 125 feet for a single receiver and 250 feet for two receivers, iirc.

I agree if he wants two lines he should be able to get them at no charge. BUT i will repeat, if they set it up corectly you should not NEED seperate lines. I have a two box set up two lines only coming from the dish...each diplexed with the antenna signal....and no problems what so ever.....i was in the camp that thought the diplexor was the issue when i had problems at first, but it turned out to be the fact that i didn't need a pre amp on the antenna. I have strong sat and antenna signal's and no problems what so ever. 2 lines are NOT needed to make voom work, as long as they do it correctly.

ps- my set up has at least a 70 ft run from the top of the roof (3 story) to my boxes.

Sean, I would disagree. Diplexers cause noticable signal drops. That's why everyone keeps taking them out. It's great that it works for you, but for many people the diplexer will actually prevent you from getting your locals. Installed correctly or not, it can cripple the signal strength.

-MP

Sean,

BUT i will repeat, if they set it up corectly you should not NEED seperate lines. I have a two box set up two lines only coming from the dish...each diplexed with the antenna signal....and no problems what so ever.....i was in the camp that thought the diplexor was the issue when i had problems at first, but it turned out to be the fact that i didn't need a pre amp on the antenna.
Your off-air signals are strong. Not everyone has the benefit of strong, interference-free signals. Many folks have borderline signals on some or all off-air channels, and for them, the 4-6dB (or whatever it is) loss of the diplexor will make the difference between stable reception, and unstable reception or no reception at all. A good signal is fairly important to the VOOM box in my experience, because poor signals tend to cause more lockups.

Trouthead said:
Just left my house and the Voom installer. He has been installing since the C-Band days, but this is his first VOOM.

Asked him about running seperate lines for the dish and the OTA, and he showed me the work order that states one line to be run.

Told him I still would like two lines and how much extra, and he said $25.00. Don't know if it is too much, but it never pays to try and nickle and dime the installer. I said to do it. It is about a 70 ft run.

Will update when I go home to check on how it is going.

Trouthead,

there is no charge for up to 4 lines. If you want your money back, pay him and emailed "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com> and he will make sure that you get reimbursed for this. It is up to you... But I think you should let Joe know and get reimbursed otherwise this will create a trend with the next installation that this guys does. Joe will let him know not to charge for a second line.

Ken F said:
Sean,

Your off-air signals are strong. Not everyone has the benefit of strong, interference-free signals. Many folks have borderline signals on some or all off-air channels, and for them, the 4-6dB (or whatever it is) loss of the diplexor will make the difference between stable reception, and unstable reception or no reception at all. A good signal is fairly important to the VOOM box in my experience, because poor signals tend to cause more lockups.

Not sure where you live, but in the Chicago market, CBS WBBM, is a very difficult channel for anyone to pick up no matter where you are located. I happen to be close to the towers. With the Amp, signal strength of about 20 (with diplexer) without amp 90+ (still using the diplexor).....perhaps just perhaps wilt could give us a clear answer on this issue, but i was told by install's and Voom that this diplexor issue had to do with the original one's the sent out back in Nov, Dec time frame.....they new installs don't use that one and currently those problems have been solved.....i am sure in some cases two lines is the only way to make it work.....but not all, and that is what people jump to from the get go....if you are within 10-15 miles of the towers in your area, i would suggest no amp first and if that doesn't work, have them try the second line.

What exactly are the number and total length of cable that is included at no extra charge for one receiver? And is the total length for each cable or in aggregate?

2nd question, may be a little off thread, but I have an install scheduled for Fri, 3/26, and would like to know. If I want to install my OTA antenna myself after the installer leaves (to experiment with different types of anteennas and locations, can the locals be mapped or at least put in the guide w/o the OTA antenna? And if not can I map them later myself w/o Vooms CSRs or the installer? Thnx

John, just let them put up the Stealth and then take it down when you want to add your own. Far easier, plus you get the line run for free.

Sean, people who have been installed recently have still had to remove the diplexer to get a usable signal. My installer told me when I brought it up thatthere's no way he would ever recommend one because it kills the signal. Unless the person getting installed has an asthetic reason not to get 2 lines, I'm sure everyone here would recommend they do. It's free, you might as well.

I was also told that the old diplexer's they use were the problem. They supposely were very cheap and were causing major signal loss. They are supposely using a newer and better diplexer that is just as good as running 2 seperate lines.

Three hours and no sat signal

Every thing looks good except we have no sat signal. He has a meter hooked up to the dish and is moving it left and right and up and down, but still no signal. The VOOM people told him an angle of elevation that is essentiall zero, i.e. the dish points straight out from the house. I and the installer know this can't be right. The utillity program in the VOOM FAQ section won't work on my computer for ????? reasons. Will post more later.

Trout,

What's your zip code? We can give you the appropriate azimuth and elevation.

my zip

my zip is 82520 . The installer now has moved the dish and thinks that will work. I'd appreciate the elevations never the less. Thanks,

got some type of sat

signal strength of 45 as of a minute ago. but now my cable has a coupling in it as he had to move the dish. Will this degrade the signal . I don't want to be an A****** as the installer is really trying and it is his first time. But as of three hours ago he was charging me for the extra line.

What's the highest the signal reading can get? Any idea what the best I can expect up here in MA is?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts