Voom Installer Here NOW - Quick Question!!

I'm going back and running 2 lines myself. My installer didn't ground anything and shot staples through the cable jacket. I want double shielded RG6 anyway. I can't expect them to supply that.

bbtkd said:
You are getting paid to follow the agreement with Voom, which says up to 4 lines. If you are a Voom installer then your company agreeed to it. Granted, if these runs are over the limit, then he should have to pay extra. Diplexors reduce the signal, and Voom seems overly sensitive to signal strength. Many have had problems that were resolved by removing the diplexor, and many more of us had sensible installers which agreed that they are bad news and helped us avoid using them.

I could not agree more. Installers should read the agreement carefully before making such claims. Why is it that Installs Inc has refunded customers money after being charged for the extra lines and then the installer has to come and apologize to customer for charging money that he/she was not supposed to.

To any Installer that disagree with this, speak to Joe Harkins at Installs Inc. I got the information from him about:

1- no charge for Line of Sight Inspection
2- up to 4 lines of coax for initial installation

Go to the Read Me First thread in the FAQ sub-forum. You will see the agreement put out by both Installs Inc and VOOM plus you can email Joe Harkins himself and ask the questions.

Based on the information in my work order, I was satisfied that what my installer told me about the lines was accurate. I would have been over the limit.

When the VOOM DVR comes out, I will expect them to run the extra line that will be needed at no cost. Especially since I discussed this very issue with the installer prior to installation (told him I will be getting the DVR when released, and I knew it will need two lines).

The bottom line is that everything is working as it should, with the exception of UPN. I will probably go ahead and contact Voom regarding not receiving all my stations to see if I can get the bigger antenna.

What kind of signal strength should I be getting on my OTA stations?

jellison1 said:

Yet this email from Installs Inc supersedes the FAQ which has a date of 5/4/2002, while the email has a date of this year. Here is the email the customer gets. I am not relying on this email only. Joe Harkins at Installs Inc and Wilt Hildenbrand at VOOM has both confirmed that customers should not pay for extra lines.

Dear Sean Mota,
Thank you for your recent VOOM purchase. You're one step closer to life in high definition! Here are some details and suggestions to help you prepare for VOOM installation.

Contact Information For Your Installer
Your local installer will be contacting you to confirm your installation appointment. If you need to reach them, here is their contact information:

Company: Installs Inc
Phone Number: (888) 987-3474
E-mail Address: DISPATCH@INSTALLS.COM

Getting Ready For Installation
Keep in mind that the installer will need to go in and out of your house to check the VOOM equipment setup and ensure the best possible performance of your exciting new system. Please clear a path to your TV set(s) and disconnect all wiring to ensure easy access and quicker setup time.

Installation Overview
You have requested an installation for VOOM 2 ROOM INSTALLATION. Your installation will include (specific procedure varies by installation type purchased):

Mount 18-inch or elliptical satellite antenna on an exterior structure of your home, and align to appropriate satellite(s).
Mount any and all digital antenna materials that will facilitate improved VOOM reception.
Route up to four lines of up to 125 feet (per run) of coaxial cable to HD receiver(s) using customer-provided multi-switch.
Ground satellite antenna and cable to local/NEC standards.
Connect HD receiver(s) to existing hard-wired phone jack(s) using supplied wire in DBS boxes.
Program supplied remote(s) to your TV set(s).
Activate customer-selected programming.
Provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of the system.

Additional Services
If you request the installer to perform additional work beyond what is included in the scope of work, the technician will provide a quote for the requested work prior to beginning the installation. Some examples of work resulting in additional charges include:

Wall-fishing to conceal cables in your walls (pricing varies based on access to wall(s) to be fished)
Pole mount, non-penetrating roof mount (pricing varies based on type of mount necessary)
Cable burial (pricing varies based on length and type of burial)
Installations requiring a 40-foot ladder (pricing based on local rental rate)

Any additional work you request or require will be determined by your technician and approved by you before the work begins. You will pay your technician directly for any additional services. This will be part of the confirmation call.

Thanks Again!
Thanks again for choosing VOOM! If you have any questions or concerns with regards to your order, please call 800-GET- VOOM.

yes but we are paid (poorly so far) by the scope of work....anything over and above that is customers responsibility....work order also says exact same thing...believe me i deal with this every day from voom,dish,directv,and direcway the salespeople tell you what you want to hear... and the techs have to deal with the fallout on the job

jellison1 said:
yes but we are paid (poorly so far) by the scope of work....anything over and above that is customers responsibility....work order also says exact same thing...believe me i deal with this every day from voom,dish,directv,and direcway the salespeople tell you what you want to hear... and the techs have to deal with the fallout on the job

The point is that Joe Hackins who is a Supervisor at Installs Inc and Wilt Hildenbrand, Vice President of VOOM Technology have said that this is not supposed to be paid by the customers. That is the point. If the Installers has a gripe about not getting paid accordingly, customers should not paid for broken plates. Customers are given the agreement and the agreement clearly said up to 4 lines of coax. Customers should not be penalized because installers are paid poorly. Installers should take that with Installs inc or VOOM.

I will give you an example. Put yourself in the shoes of a customer. Let's suppose that you got the agreement that I posted and I come to do your installation and I tell you, "Nope it will cost you $60/line". Wouldn't you feel that I am taking advantage of you?

This business of not gettin properly paid is not the customer's fault and customer's should not be drawn to it directly or indirectly. If I have a gripe with the way I am compensating at my job, I go to my boss and complain or get another job and don't accept the contract.

My installer was great. He would've been perfectly willing to run two lines...but I felt for the guy since he was slammed that day. I am 30 mi away from the Knoxville broadcast towers (all on one mountain ridge), yet I can still pick up the locals and the Stealth is pointed in the wrong direction! Perhaps some of the channelmaster diplexer units were defective?

this is job description on work order for tommorrow 5/01/2004 dual voom install

Equipment will be shipped to installer for delivery to customer's home(dish, off-air antenna,recievers,welcome kit). Mount satellite and off-air antennas,using SBCA stanards,to the exterior structure of home, and align for peak satellite and off air reception. Diplex dish and Antenna feeds,and route two lines (four if DVR type)up to 125 ft each of RG-6 coaxial cable to two TV locations. Ground satellite,antenna,and cables to local and NEC standards.Recievers must be connected tp hard wired land line or by a wireless (min 56k capable) phone system for job to be considered complete. Program supplied remote to operate tv. Activate customer selected programming. Give the welcome kit and provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of their system.

jellison1 said:
this is job description on work order for tommorrow 5/01/2004 dual voom install

Equipment will be shipped to installer for delivery to customer's home(dish, off-air antenna,recievers,welcome kit). Mount satellite and off-air antennas,using SBCA stanards,to the exterior structure of home, and align for peak satellite and off air reception. Diplex dish and Antenna feeds,and route two lines (four if DVR type)up to 125 ft each of RG-6 coaxial cable to two TV locations. Ground satellite,antenna,and cables to local and NEC standards.Recievers must be connected tp hard wired land line or by a wireless (min 56k capable) phone system for job to be considered complete. Program supplied remote to operate tv. Activate customer selected programming. Give the welcome kit and provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of their system.

Somebody is messing up because what the customers gets and you work order says are completly different regarding the 4 coax lines. I will send this out to Joe at installs inc and ask why is there a discrepancy between the two.

just wondering why would anyone want 4 lines to a single reciever anyway?.....by the way am not trying to be a jerk about this...just trying to get everyone on same page... :)

jellison1 said:
just wondering why would anyone want 4 lines to a single reciever anyway?.....by the way am not trying to be a jerk about this...just trying to get everyone on same page... :)

jellison1,

I see your point and I do not think it is your fault either. To answer your question most people would be fine with just two lines.

jellison1 said:

For a dual-tuner DVR. The OTA and Sat are totally different tuners. Thus, you will need two cables for both OTA tuners and two cables for both Sat tuners.

cameron,

The box may split the OTA cable internally, as the $999 DirecTivo HD does. However, you'll certainly need two cables from the dish, and probably two cables entering your home as well.

They technology is available to stack multiple frequencies on a single cable, so VOOM could conceivably use one cable for dual tuners, but this would necessitate a more complex (and costly) switch implementation. I think they'll want to keep costs down as much as possible, and running a second cable will be cheaper than implementing and supporting that technology (for this year, at least).

Ken F said:
cameron,

The box may split the OTA cable internally, as the $999 DirecTivo HD does. However, you'll certainly need two cables from the dish, and probably two cables entering your home as well.

They technology is available to stack multiple frequencies on a single cable, so VOOM could conceivably use one cable for dual tuners, but this would necessitate a more complex (and costly) switch implementation. I think they'll want to keep costs down as much as possible, and running a second cable will be cheaper than implementing and supporting that technology (for this year, at least).

I was thinking ahead when I had two lines run from my garage when they wired for cable TV. I had the Voom installed on the garage and am using those two lines for Voom and the OTA, with the rest of the house on cable. Now it looks like I'll have to run another line for the new DVR receiver. I may as well run 4 more since I think I'll actually need two of the DVR receivers for our 6 TV's. Then I'll have to run lines from the living room to each TV. Arghhhhhh - shoulda done that when we built but never figured on having sat in every room...

I used diplexers on my own system & noticed the difference I could receive a local channel on the TV closest to the antenna but my other 50 ft further away cannnot. I'm now going to rewire my home with dual quad & three lines to each system. One line each for DirecTV, OTA & cable.

If I could only get some free time . . .

i'm getting a 3 room voom system installed hopefully on wed. i am about 25 mi. from the dtv towers. should i let them use the diplexor? since it is a 3 receiver set up am i entitled to 2 lines for each?

snaggerbob said:
i'm getting a 3 room voom system installed hopefully on wed. i am about 25 mi. from the dtv towers. should i let them use the diplexor? since it is a 3 receiver set up am i entitled to 2 lines for each?
It's a personal choice based on a variety of factors. Personally, I live in a deep-fringe area right in the middle of 3 DMAs (DC-55+ miles, Richmond VA 51+ miles, and Charlottesville VA 53 miles) so it is imperitive that I use a high-gain antenna and a high-gain/low noise preamp. A diplexor inserts db loss and would most certainly kill my reception since I am only pulling -13 db from both DC and Richmond.

Having said that, I would probably not object to using a diplexor if I were only 25 miles, the DTV towers were at full power, and I was receiving a healthy 95+ signal on all OTA channels post install. Ok, I take that back...I just don't like don't like the idea of running Sat/OTA on the same line. It's not a logical decision, but I just don't like the darn things.

Are you entitled to 2 lines per STB? I and others say yes...however, your installer may seek additional compensation since his work order typically states, "Route up to 125 feet of coaxial cable for each HD receiver(s)." You may wind up paying for the additional coax and later seek reimbursement through Installs Inc. However, you can always run your own cables (highly recommended) and save yourself some headaches if Moe, Larry and Curly are dispatched to your home. Check out the following:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=20677
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=2052#Q4-15

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts