VOOM is AMAZING!!!!

eg9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
I've been Vooming for 4 months now and it is really amazing. I changed from Dish Network due to the HD channels and customer service "issues". Voom carries every channel I need. The only channel I wish it had was BBC from the UK for Top Gear, and other automotive shows. I've been noticing people "YELLING" out there anger with VOOM, I thought I'd YELL out how great it has been. If anyone else would like to share positive statements with VOOM, you may use my thread...

Ed-

Yep. It's just been plum fun to have VOOM for so much HD. They've got guts for trying all this. It ain't perfect, but I think they are trying pretty hard. My HD set is much happier now with plenty of HD.

Can't wait until the DVR, and new compression advantages.

eg9 said:
The only channel I wish it had was BBC from the UK for Top Gear, and other automotive shows

yeah TOPGEAR rocks, it's a shame that we cant get that in the US as far as I know

I too am enjoying VOOM in my 4th month. Nothing technically has ever happened with VOOM that hasn't happened with other Cable or DirecTV services; for that matter if I take some of the negative comments to heart then then that means that those same people have no patience with cell phones, computers or automobiles when a technical problem comes along. They panic and run.

I really like RUSH and EQUATOR. I especially enjoy being able to see at least one HiDef movie each night and ESPN rounds out the sports picture.

When you consider that Rainbow went for a market that is questionable (I think only 5% of TV sets are HiDef right now) it is amazing what they've accomplished technical problems and all.

Voom is what I expected.

Anytime you are dealing with a new company and cutting edge technology, you can expect problems. I look forward to the advances that Voom will make in the future. I had "Dish Network" and was not happy because of the over compressed video. Voom is wonderfull, even with the buggy software.

I ordered Voom back in October when they first came into being. As one of their charter members, have been installed since November. True that there has been a number of software and other problems, but I have been amused by all the rantings and ravings that have been going on just about every day. I fully understand that it takes awhile to get everything letter perfect, and no way in H* would I even consider giving V*up. Patience is a virtue people.

I was watching Dish at my folks house, freaking A man I wanted to yell at them for still having them, no HD unless they pay MORE for it and get like 12 more channels, and for some reason their OTA which is beamed in through the sat. dish looks HORRIBLE. I must have messed with their TV settings for 2 hours, and watching the Marlins game made me want to claw my eyes out.

For what it's worth I hope Voom becomes the largest Sat. company in the future, and that they continue to grow and hopefully be offering some insane number of HD channels, I have had problems with crappy repair/install people, but they are not directly related to Voom. I've never has a problem with their CSRs, or their Sat. service... all my family and friends that come over fall in love with the HD programming.

Tvlman said:
(I think only 5% of TV sets are HiDef right now)

That statistic is a bit skewed, you have to look at the number of HD TV sets that are out in the public, there are many people that don't even use cable/sat service to take advantage of their HD set just use it for watching DVDs at 480p. HD broadcast advantages aren't widely known.

However, most homes I think will have 1 HD sets and 1 or more standard set, which is why I say that stat is skewed.

eg9 said:
I've been noticing people "YELLING" out there anger with VOOM,
Ed-

Ed, I'm glad you are so enthused with Voom, I like it as well, but if you have no issues with their picture quality, either you are not watching the bad channels or you have a very small TV. If nobody yells at Voom, how are they going to improve? If they think their picture is pristine, they will not fix it. :no

I am a "YELLER" and I have good cause. Don't get me wrong, I love Voom and what they are doing, but I am not going to sit back and let them feed me a sub-par picture. Believe me, when you watch HD on a 110" screen, you see every little defect, most of which aren't even noticed on a TV as large as 65".

Keep on Voomin' (to the tune of Creedence Clearwater's "Keep on Chooglin"). :D

DarrellP said:
Believe me, when you watch HD on a 110" screen, you see every little defect, most of which aren't even noticed on a TV as large as 65".

Sorry DarrellP but I think that correcting defects that are visible on your 110" screen but are not visible on a 65" screen (or smaller) has a pretty low priority on the Voom's "Things to do" list. And rightly so, IMO. There are more important things for Voom to address first. :)

You're going to have DarrelP fire back that a channel like HDNet has far less problems on his other Sat. Provider than on Voom.. I do agree and don't agree, with you andrzej, if Voom can get a picture to look great on a 65" that's good, and should take a back seat to someone with a projector, however Voom SHOULD be competitive and offer equal quality to other Sat. providers, I have seen noise and PQ issues with Voom and posted such in other threads. Voom seems to be pretty decent at fixing things though, recently I must admit there has been improvements in PQ esp. in the SD channels, and that should improve even more with the change in codecs. I'm going to stick with Voom, especially since my other family and friends, are stuck with DirectTv and Dish, I already have 2 people that are itching for their DirecTV contracts to run out to switch to Voom based on 1-2 hours of Voom programming in my house.

DarrellP said:
Ed, I'm glad you are so enthused with Voom, I like it as well, but if you have no issues with their picture quality, either you are not watching the bad channels or you have a very small TV. If nobody yells at Voom, how are they going to improve? If they think their picture is pristine, they will not fix it. :no

I am a "YELLER" and I have good cause. Don't get me wrong, I love Voom and what they are doing, but I am not going to sit back and let them feed me a sub-par picture. Believe me, when you watch HD on a 110" screen, you see every little defect, most of which aren't even noticed on a TV as large as 65".

Keep on Voomin' (to the tune of Creedence Clearwater's "Keep on Chooglin"). :D

I feel pretty much the same way. However, for being "yeller" I am threatened and told that all my posts here may be removed. Nevertheless, I am not going to change my attitude toward pushing Voom to improve its PQ. I just think they have to be the best in everything not only in number of HD channels.
In addition to that, I must say that (in my opinion) Voom's SD PQ is much better than the same on Dish. I saw some horror support-related stories here but when I needed one everything went very well. I guess those incidents are isolated but I do think that Voom should replace Installs.
Customer support is not only Voom's problem - Dish has it too. I ordered 811 in December and got it in February, after many calls and canceled appointments. Plus, I have to call them every single month since then to eliminate some stupid different charges which appear on my bill since December, then they charged me twice for the receiver, then instead getting a credit for HBO and Cinemax (for their mistakes) I was charged twice for Both two times... and many other bill problems, still unsolved.
I hope Voom will become #1 DBS but if they don't improve PQ I doubt it'll ever happen. Hope new compression software will let them do that.

I've got a 30" set, and I see the PQ issues clear as day. I agree with Darrell, Voom has to know from it's customers what areas could use improvement.

Conjuror said:
I feel pretty much the same way. However, for being "yeller" I am threatened and told that all my posts here may be removed. ...

Conjuror, we can all YELL at each other or we can discuss problems and dispense advise (if we have something to say). It is a matter of taste, of course, but I prefer civil discussions and exchanging opinions over yelling, threatening to cancel in ALL CAPS etc. :)

Thanks for the support, guys. I have noticed the mosquito noise was considerably less yesterday on EquatorHD, hopefully they are listening to our "Yelling".

DarrellP: I agree w/ the PQ problems but don't diss the small screeners. I have a 65" and see all the proeblems.

I've seen great HD. I know great HD. This isn't quite it. It's good, but short of amazing. I want amazing :)

barth2k said:
DarrellP: I agree w/ the PQ problems but don't diss the small screeners. I have a 65" and see all the proeblems.

I've seen great HD. I know great HD. This isn't quite it. It's good, but short of amazing. I want amazing :)
I wouldn't call 65" small & I'm not dissing the smaller screens, it's just a matter of fact that it's harder to discern a single pixel when it's 1/4 the size of what I'm seeing. Believe me, I've considered getting a TV in the 50 " range so I can be happy again. ;)

Yesterday when I had the Program Guide up, I thought just for kicks I would measure the size of the PIP (or is that PIG: Picture In Guide :p ) screen and, to my surprise, it was 32". :eek:

DarrellP said:
I wouldn't call 65" small & I'm not dissing the smaller screens, it's just a matter of fact that it's harder to discern a single pixel when it's 1/4 the size of what I'm seeing. Believe me, I've considered getting a TV in the 50 " range so I can be happy again. ;)

Yesterday when I had the Program Guide up, I thought just for kicks I would measure the size of the PIP (or is that PIG: Picture In Guide :p ) screen and, to my suprise, it was 32". :eek:
For some reason that just seems to make me kind of mad :D

I'm with DarrellP, barth2k, squicken, Conjuror, Dvlos, and anyone who says that Voom's PQ is not as good as other sat providers. Dish Network's HD picture quality looks like you're looking through a clear clean window. Voom's picture quality looks like you're looking through a dirty, uncleaned windows with misquitos flying around. :no

If Voom would get their HD picture quality up (I couldn't care less about their SD PQ), then I would stop complaining and would stop commenting on how bad Voom is right now. I can tolarate reboots, missing program guides, white pixels, more rain fade than the competition, a less comprehensive user interface versus the competition, non-working picture format features and no discrete on/off codes: If only they would get the PQ the same or better than Dish Network. That's what I'd rather see with Voom. I signed up for more HD channels. Little did I know there would be a quality loss too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)