Voom Message Board Traffic Fading Fast

Amphicar770

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 26, 2004
Looks like even the hard core Voomers have mostly moved on. Activity on the voom forums has slowed to a trickle.

As mentioned earlier, I have gone with Comcast and am generally pleased. I will keep the one Voom box live until the end just for the sake of nostalgia.

In any event, it has been nice chatting with everyone these past few months. It was all a part of the total Voom experience. With luck, one day we will be meeting up in the Voom2 forums.

Cheers.

Yeah, awful quiet. I also switched to Comcast, but have been less than happy with their HD-DVR box, although the PQ is pretty good. I need to find a good cable tv forum. :)

As for Voom, its still live, but I'll disconnect the satellite Friday night to save the OTA tuner from a hit if one comes.

-John

like rats trying to get off a sinking ship....

as for me, I'm going down with the ship. got adelphia, but will keep watching voom till ghouls gone wild and till the screen goes dead.

What do you mean? There are as many people on right now (264 to be exact) as there usually is when nothing major was going on. I noticed that at times of major events there would be an average of 450 viewers at a given time.

There just isn't much to talk about at the moment. Just wait traffic will increase again on April 30th.

Amphicar770 said:
Looks like even the hard core Voomers have mostly moved on. Activity on the voom forums has slowed to a trickle.

Were too busy crying in our beer to post. :no

I will be here now and beyond. I still am reviewing choices and the selection is laughable compared to VOOM.

jgantert said:
Yeah, awful quiet. I also switched to Comcast, but have been less than happy with their HD-DVR box, although the PQ is pretty good. I need to find a good cable tv forum. :)

As for Voom, its still live, but I'll disconnect the satellite Friday night to save the OTA tuner from a hit if one comes.

-John

Can you tell us what is wrong with the HD-DVR box? I'm leaning towards Comcast after Voom shuts down, but I'd like to hear the +'s and -'s about Comcast.

IMO a Voom forum members list needs to be made with email addys and placed in a secure place. Then if a new alternative surfaces we could all be notified about it and join. I just dont know if anyone will ever try again or if they could. Ive heard that Vooms orbital slot and licences was the about all thats left? I think most of us here shared the same philosophy, we were tired of having 6 HD channels and seeing sat companies using their resources for locals and HD DNS or their future for HDLIL. I think the majority of us had locall OTA reception (or we wouldnt be Voomers) and we are told to wait and be quiet on other forums. Or they call us spoiled or ungrateful. And now what? Now when we say we want more HD channels they will tell us our business model doesnt work :( Maybe the FCC is dead wrong, maybe HD would be best served with one super sat corporation , a merger of D*+E* competing against Cable and Verizon.

The other problem is an antiquated system of protecting the local broadcasters. Voom, and every provider, should be allowed to carry East and West coast network feeds of their choice. The system we have today is akin to telling people that they can not purchase USA Today if they live in an area served by the New York Times. When I originally had E* they did not offer locals in my area. At that time I considered it a major dbs advantage that I could instead get BOTH east AND west coast feeds of the networks even thogh they were originating from different cities.

jgantert said:
I need to find a good cable tv forum. :)

I have looked at four other forums and I am not impressed.
Scott has done a wonderful job of organizing this forum. The people in this forum for the most part are great and even the trolls are a better breed than some I have seen in other forums.

Scott, is it possible to find a place for those of us still waiting to see what happens with D* and E* and Mpeg4, but want to discuss cable HD and fiber as well.
I know is wanders from the "Satellite" mission but I sure would feel more comfortable making a decision based on the expertise here.

I was going to coward out and switch to Adelphia...which was supposed to install on 4/30....but I too have decided to go down with the ship with my brethren and take this torpedoing like a man....I want to see the ending and say I was there....this is so sad.....it has gone from sadness to anger to defiance! I suppose that on the 29th and 30th this place will be packed with fellow VOOMers and twice as many trolls....

Vurbano, I like your idea about a VoOm forum members list. Don't know how much of a hassle it would be for SatGuys to compile, but it would be great if it's possible. I'm going to stick with OTA and Netflix, and keep praying for some other miracle. If one surfaces, I'd sure like to hear about it. :yes Vicki

salsadancer7 said:
I was going to coward out and switch to Adelphia...which was supposed to install on 4/30....but I too have decided to go down with the ship with my brethren and take this torpedoing like a man....I want to see the ending and say I was there....this is so sad.....it has gone from sadness to anger to defiance! I suppose that on the 29th and 30th this place will be packed with fellow VOOMers and twice as many trolls....
I called Adelphia today and they offered install on Tuesday 4/26
Although the sooner the better, I decided to have them come in Monday 5/2 early...I just don't want anything to touched until "fade out" of Voom :no
Who knows...they may screw up the shut down and continue...(very wishful thinking)... ;)

vurbano said:
IMO a Voom forum members list needs to be made with email addys and placed in a secure place. Then if a new alternative surfaces we could all be notified about it and join.

The problem is we are all members of Satellite Guys and there is no way to know who all that posts on the VOOM forum are indeed VOOM subscribers.

However, I am willing to maintain a list, and place it where no one can get it over at jimdolansucks.com. The list would only be used to alert users of a new service provider, if wanted, to announce VOOM reunions, and perhaps those on the list will ge given password access to the VOOM website which I will eventually reconstruct.

So if interested email me at info@jimdolansucks.com. For verification include your SatelliteGuys User Name and use VOOM Member in the subject line. Those who are/were not VOOM subs or are trolls will be rejected.

Amphicar770 said:

Cheers.

This morning I woke up and went to my favorite forum and there are three pages of posts to look through. I dont think that we are going to see a drop in the posting here in the VOOM forums until VOOM is gone and all questions have been answered...like if we are going to be able to still tune OTA Ch's in or what VOOM is going to do with the rented receivers. Until then ....the VOOM forum is alive and kicking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)