VOOM Moves Target For DVR to Nov 04 or Earlier (?)

the difference is the Voom DVR doesn't have to encode HD on the fly. Instead it just stored the already encoded incoming data stream, which is far more cost effective than trying to record raw HD data.

The sat DVR's are reading the compressed MPEG stream, thus they don't need the mega horsepower of an analog stream.

Ah, that makes sense. That is actually a really efficient use of CPU cycles (letting all of the encoding occur at the head end and just storing at the DVR) and I guess reduces the necessary horsepower in the DVR.

I have a feeling scott and Iyala found something out but are unable to release it LOL. Otherwise they would have responded by now with a "Don't know" or a "Here's the date" :p

1080i,

Your credibility is on the line.... 1 last day to save face (or this thread should be closed!)

alandail said:
I think he meant Nov 2004, not Nov 4th.

Here's what the VOOM FAQ says as to when and what sort of DVR they will provide:

We are actively working on our HD-DVR and plan to make it available in 2005. With the introduction of the VOOM HD-DVR, you will be able to watch and record both standard definition and high definition programming sent through the VOOM satellite. The VOOM HD-DVR also has multiple tuners, allowing you to record two shows while you're watching a third!

If you already have TiVo or another commercially available DVR, you can use it to record your favorite VOOM programming. However, these DVRs can record and display information only in standard definition.

Finally!

Finally Voom admits it. DVR in 2005.
They should had come clean in February instead of saying this summer. If they said 2005 then it was ready in August no one would be upset. Oh well, I can't afford to have Dish and Voom for much longer, I thought the DVR would be out by now. I can make it until the end of the year but come January it's going to be a hard decision. Good news if I do leave Voom, when the DVR really does come out next Fall I can get the new customer price :)
But hey maybe 1080i knows something that no one else here or the person doing Voom's FAQ knows and in the next 3 weeks we'll see something. Time will tell....

Voom's website still has the press release from January 2004, and it says the Whole House solution will be ready this summer, which is now several months ago. This is also in the FAQ section. So it looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, but both of the hands are actively involved in self gratification.

Typical. They have strung us along on quite a few things for so long now. And come January they are raising prices. Voom is going to lose a lot more customers come Jan 2005.

Did you also notice the DVR does NOT allow recording OTA programming?

It is satellite-delivered programs, which means ALL the local channels/netowrks cannot be recorded!

That is crap!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)