Voom on Direct

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have both providers. I for one will miss VOOM. I would really like for them to consolidate them into 7 or 8 channels and Direct pick them up. The pq was always really good. I liked Equator, World Sport, Rush, Monsters, Treasure and even liked to watch the hot babes on Ultra go down the runway.;)

Do I think it will happen. No

I can dream though.:)

DIRECTV Could Buy Voom HD

This was from 2007. Apparently Malone entertained the idea at the time, even if nothing came of it. But with a new satellite soon to expand bandwidth the this might be good timing.

A lot of people blame VOOM for doing little to add new programing. But maybe being tied exclusively to Dish prevented them from doing more.

A lot of people blame VOOM for doing little to add new programing. But maybe being tied exclusively to Dish prevented them from doing more.

They were not exclusive to dish though. Cablevision currently has Voom.

Cablevision "The Dolans" owns Voom

Correct. That does not always make a difference in carrying the channel. Cablevision did not have the channels for quite some time. The point was that Voom was not exclusive.

They were not exclusive to dish though. Cablevision currently has Voom.
Cablevisions contract to carry VOOM expires on June 30th.

In addition Cablevision recently moved VOOM the SDV (Switched Digital Video) network, making the VOOM channels unavailable to all their customers using Cablecard technology.

I don't see Voom to be that compelling. They always repeated shows constantly.

Cablevisions contract to carry VOOM expires on June 30th.

In addition Cablevision recently moved VOOM the SDV (Switched Digital Video) network, making the VOOM channels unavailable to all their customers using Cablecard technology.

Scott,

They are still in the process of moving VOOM to SDV. On the Great Neck System of Cablevision they are still not on SDV yet, when I went into the SA4250HD box diagnostics a few minutes ago. I am sure it will coincide with them knocking out 6 analogs to digital only on June 3rd to free up some bandwidth for more HD down the road. Or a notice will be coming in a few weeks announcing VOOM is going bye bye, but I doubt that will happen.

I enjoyed VOOM when I was an E* customer, but have now been with D* since mid-April. When I first got VOOM with E* it was great...Monsters HD was the best. The past 6 months though, VOOM was repeats over and over again...not much new content. Monsters HD would have the same two shows over and over for a day or so and then change to another two shows...unfortunately not much new content.

If D* got VOOM it would be nice but the repeats need to be addressed or it is worthless in my opinion. I realize many channels have repeats, but the same two or three shows all day long are unacceptable.

I enjoyed VOOM when I was an E* customer, but have now been with D* since mid-April. When I first got VOOM with E* it was great...Monsters HD was the best. The past 6 months though, VOOM was repeats over and over again...not much new content. Monsters HD would have the same two shows over and over for a day or so and then change to another two shows...unfortunately not much new content.

If D* got VOOM it would be nice but the repeats need to be addressed or it is worthless in my opinion. I realize many channels have repeats, but the same two or three shows all day long are unacceptable.

It didn't used to be that way. This time last year, Monsters (IMO) was the best channel in the Dish lineup. If I remember correctly, they only did one repeat a day and had a huge array of movies. I don't know what happened around 11/2007, but suddenly that all went into the crapper. Surely, Voom couldn't honestly believe that rotating the same 2-3 movies every day was a good idea? I also don't believe Voom would intentionally sign their death warrant...There is a lot more to this than we will probably ever know.

If D* can somehow get Voom to consolidate and get back to the 2006/early 2007 quality programming, this would be a major coup for D*. Those of us who remember Dish's chest thumping after snatching up Voom know the potential is still there.

My hope would be that they roll out the remaining SD & HD LiL first and the the remaining HBO and MAX suite; both SD & HD. Then we could THINK about Vooming.

My hope would be that they roll out the remaining SD & HD LiL first and the the remaining HBO and MAX suite; both SD & HD. Then we could THINK about Vooming.

Also, considering the Voom channels are still uplinked on the sats, something has to be on the burner still. If Dish is terminating Voom, what's the delay? Interesting...

Wherever Voom ends up (assuming they do and it's a sat provider), I will follow. I would prefer D*, just because I have been itching for a long time to dump E*.

you guys aren't missing anything. voom isn't what it used to be.

If I had to bet I'd say Voom won't even be in business in a few months at most.

DirecTV always could have carried this. They chose not to. The only reasons to dos o now would be to pick up some disgruntled DISH subs and perhaps they could get a better deal as VOOM has to be desperate at this point.

But while the forums here would indicate otherwise I just don't see alot of people looking for VOOM. In fact outside of these forums no one seems to have even heard of it.

DirecTV always could have carried this. They chose not to. The only reasons to dos o now would be to pick up some disgruntled DISH subs and perhaps they could get a better deal as VOOM has to be desperate at this point.

But while the forums here would indicate otherwise I just don't see alot of people looking for VOOM. In fact outside of these forums no one seems to have even heard of it.

After D11 is live, there's room...

The increased capacity might make that a considerably easier decision to carry them. Before the new MPEG4 channels last fall, space was limited and it didn't seem to meet the criteria. If there will be additional space, it could cost DirecTV very little to carry them.

• There are some advantages:
  • There is capacity to carry them without impacting other channels' PQ
  • There exists a very favorable set of negotiating conditions since they are not carried nationally
  • It would flesh out the HD Extra Pack
  • It might pick up the increasing number of Dish customers disgruntled by VOOM being dropped

It costs little, won't lose any subs and could gain a few. Seems like simple math to me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts