VOOM, OTA, and shoddy service(merged with Colorado thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

plyall

Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Denver, CO
Moderator Note: Copied thread to the Colorado Voomers thread.

Folks -

Well, after waiting weeks after my installation to get my OTA setup fixed, VOOM/Installs Inc. setup a service call for today (June 30).

The issues to be addressed were:

1) Horrible OTA reception (virtually none) - I would occasionally get channels 2, sometimes 4 and 9, and 31. Channels 6, 7, 12, and 20 were completely out.

According to my OTA channel map, I should be getting:

2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 6-1, 7-1, 8-15 (VOOM), 9-1, 10-1, 12-1, 12-2, 12-3, 22-1, 24-1, 31-1, and 53-1.

Checking the VOOM status pages :

Off-Air Signal Quality: ranges from 14-20
Off-Air Signal Power/ SNR: 0/0.00 (always)

*** Action plan: Install a new 8-bay antenna

2) They had left a large loop of cable dangling from my roof because their ladder was too short to get them high enough to tie it down. (this is a homeowners association issue, as well as a bad practice).

*** Action plan: return with a ladder to tie the cable down

3) I have been having dropouts on just the DVI interface on one of my STB's. Could be a cable or the box itself - all other outputs work fine.

*** Action plan: return with a replacement STB and DVI cable.

4) I am also getting the 'stuck white pixels' that others have been seeing. I understand that this may be a software problem.

*** Action plan: wait for software upgrade

5) I seem to be having erratic OTA channel maps - they can differ from STB to STB (I have 4 boxes).

*** Action plan: wait for VOOM to get their OTA mapping act together.

Well - the guy showed up. He was a subcontracter working for 'Point 2 Point' communications. Immediate problems:

a) No long ladder - he hadn't gotten the word (even though I KNOW it was written into the original trouble ticket - I quizzed the CSR)

b) No replacement VOOM STB or DVI cable. Again - he hadn't gotten the word.

After he assembled the 8-bay antenna and took it on the roof, we still didn't have any improvement in signal:

Off-Air Signal Quality: ranges from 14-20
Off-Air Signal Power/ SNR: 0/0.00 (always)

My antenna had been setup as follows:

Antenna -> Amplifier -> DC power injector for AMP -> 1x4 splitter box

After found that the new antenna had no better response, I asked the tech to check the power to the inline amp (he didn't know it had one). He didn't have a meter - I had to loan him mine. It appears that the wall-wart/inline power supply was cooked. The original installer either used a bad one, or shorted the center conductor to the casing at the RF connector (there was visible charring). I also pulled the power supply out and checked it myself: supposed to be 18vdc/70ma, but it wasn't putting anything out. Of course the guy didn't have another power adapter on the truck - asked if I might be able to find one at Radio Shack (I couldn't - BTW).

Another guy came out to help the first guy. He told the first guy that the 8-bay didn't need an inline amp, as it was so powerful already. Hmmm. If that's the case, why am I getting the OTA signal strength readings I'm getting?

One got up on the roof while the other stood in from of my TV, and they chatted by cell phone while trying to position the antenna. They told me they could get 2, 4 and 31 or 9 and 31, but I couldn't have both (what about 7?). I verified on antennaweb.org that these stations were all within a couple of degrees of each other, and presented this - the antenna cannot be THAT directional. The most likely cause is that we're getting nearly no OTA signal into the system, and a slight nudge could lose whatever fraction of a signal they might have (probably could hang a piece of RG-6 out the window and get a similar/better signal).

The service call got halted because we had a brief thunderstorm. They promised to return tomorrow, but based on my experiences today I don't have a lot of confidence that they will resolve the problems.

Does anybody have any helpful suggestions?

Oh - I also have issues with rain fade, but I hear that others are having a heck of a time getting acknowldgement that this is a problem, and are having difficulties getting the larger dish.

I have a call into DishConnect right now (holding - as is the norm), and plan to escalate this to VOOM as well.

Such a potentially wonderful service (VOOM) being ruined by shoddy support. I'm not sure I'm prepared to remain in the early-adopter pool. If they can't get these issues worked out shortly, I may need to have them yank all four boxes.

While I'm griping, I might as well add these:

1) The relative lack of content/amount of repetitiveness of programming is enough to make you question the value of VOOM as a whole. Without the VaVaVOOM add-on that incorporates some of the premium movie stations in HD (even though they don't always broadcast 16x9 HD content), I would probably not subscribe. You see the same stuff over and over.

2) The program guide needs some serious human-engineering rework. I'm not saying that DirtecTV or Dish have it nailed, but they're much closer:

a) Returning to the top menu everytime you hit the VOOM button? Why not into the program guide you were in last at the channel you were viewing?

b) The program planner is impossibly basic - what about scheduling multiple iterations of a show? New programs only?

c) The program description in the guide is usually truncated to something unusually small. Many times the RAVE concert info doesn't even tell you who the performer is. (Note: the VOOM guide data available via Zap2it have MUCH more detail).

d) Like other DBS services, there should be an option to get a full screen of guide data rather than waste half of the screen with a preview and a LOGO.

3) Yes - I know a PVR is in the works, but life is very difficult for those of us that have become accustomed to time-shifting/commercial skipping. I frequently work until 8 or 9 at night, and when I sit down to watch TV, I hate having to be slaved to just what's on now. I think the proper approach would to have gotten a fundamental PVR into the market first, and produce the whiz-bang network capable unit at a later time.

4) The service issues and chain of problem ownership issues have to be addressed - this is how good products fail. I know - I'm in the tech business myself.

Pete Lyall

Just thought I say I had a similiar problem with getting my local channels also. My locals were at 3 different tower locations. They said there was nothing they could do, Voom only supplied them with directional antenna's. I went down to Radio Shack and bought an OMNI directional antenna for 74 bucks installed it my self now I get all my locals. By the way they did not pay me back for the 74 bucks

Denver is a massively huge DMA and covers parts of 4 states there is no way you will receive all 13 of those stations as some of them are in other states!

The reason you can't get ch.7 KMGH is that it is on a Special Temporary Authority at 1.91Kw, the signal would be lucky to go a few miles. Ch.2 KWGN is at 450Kw, ch.4 KCNC is at 11Kw and is directional. I don't have current power data on ch.31, but it's antenna pattern is also very directional. Ch.9 KUSA is operating with 10.9Kw and is also very directional.

It is entirely possible for a directional antenna to be "that" directional, but it is only very, very, very directional at longer reception distances.

You might want to take a look at this thread "AntennaWeb may not be accurate"

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=20749

Take into consideration that the antenna is directional, the power of all the stations is low, and the stations themselves are transmitting directional patterns it is and you have a situation where moving the antenna a few inches one way or the other will loose the station.

You are not alone many are in the same boat. Denver has been a particular problem with the stations going digital as there has been much protest from "tree hugger" groups against adding more RF sources to LookOut Mountain. In this case the stations aren't entirely at fault for the low power operation.

I am surprised you are so calm, (I'm about ready to hit my STB with an ax and send it back). You have stations that want to go full power, but can't and you have what sounds like a really bad installer.

I'm in Centennial, about 12 miles directly south of downtown Denver. I have the same OTA map as plyall, but I'm getting all the locals, even channel 7. Voom upgraded my antenna because channel 7 reception was poor and I went from the Stealth to a Wiinegard PR8800. OTA channels beiing received are:
2.1 and 2.2
12 (PBS, and there are 3 of them)

After installation in December, I had all of the above, but 7 was in and out. Called Voom and they logged a service call and sent a guy out with the new antenna. He put it on the same mast as where the Stealth had been, and we got all the channels except 7. He adjusted the antenna a little, and we got 7--but none of the others. Adjusted again, and we got all of them. I asked him to tighten the antenna, and have had no problems with OTA since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)