Voom Packages

mjgroup

Original poster
May 1, 2004
Why doesnt Voom have Local and premium packages like dtv as in Basic with Local's,HBO, Starz Super pack, Cinemax??

Voom doesn't re-broadcast locals. You might as well just put an antenna up and get the HD OTA. It's locals if you can get the reception.

I Live on the border of L.A. County and San Bernardino County so we cannot get locals with an over air antenna. Reason being the stations antenna are blocked by mountains and by distance from the TV stations antenna. This is going to be a huge problem for the are I live in and is why people in Southern California are not rushing out to get this programming I would rather have a bad picture than know picture.

mjgroup said:
I Live on the border of L.A. County and San Bernardino County so we cannot get locals with an over air antenna. Reason being the stations antenna are blocked by mountains and by distance from the TV stations antenna. This is going to be a huge problem for the are I live in and is why people in Southern California are not rushing out to get this programming I would rather have a bad picture than know picture.
So pay Dish $10.99/month and get your locals. ;)

There are PLENTY of satellite providers more than willing to give you incredibly crappy looking locals.

VOOM is a little different, because they'd rather not waste bandwidth on hundreds of piddling local channels -- instead, VOOM is interested in giving the best HD content possible. Which requires bandwidth, which is precisely what gets totally robbed when a satellite service starts offering locals.

I never used DirecTV, but I was a Dish Network customer for a good 7+ years -- and when they added a bazillion local channels, the picture quality took a nose dive.

The only thing satellite providers should do is offer a single network feed for both broadcasting period -- in other words, an East Coast network feed, and a West coast network feed.

Then, it'd be up to the local stations to improve their broadcast strength to woo local customers, rather than forcing satellite providers to choose between offering nothing, and offering lousy picture quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)