Voom picture off to the left some

I found a box in the service menu that said store so I checked it. So far it's still set properly like I set it but we shall see.

Neutron said:
Well, I've noticed that it doesn't keep the new setting. It goes back to the left shift. I go into the service menu and it's on the same number as it was from the factory.

Does anyone know how to get this to stick?
I also have to press 'menu' to save settings.

Cool, definately works with the RCA set! I posted that problem a while back, nice to have it fixed!

Do you know if there is any setting for overscan? Would be nice to "squeeze" the picture to get it to fit in better.

-John

I have noticed especially on WorldSports and HDNews that when they have something in the upper left like the scores for the game or whatnot that the top is cut off a little.

Is that due to overscan?

jgantert said:
Cool, definately works with the RCA set! I posted that problem a while back, nice to have it fixed!

Do you know if there is any setting for overscan? Would be nice to "squeeze" the picture to get it to fit in better.

-John

What did you do?

rkr0923 said:
Just reading what Indy wrote: I called Voom today to ask questions on programming and found the CSR to be very up to date on his info of hardware and software. He told me that the "NEW" software was ONLY available on a new version of the STB which just started shipping and that the software would NOT work in the first generation boxes.

Perhaps this is correct to the extent that *at the moment* the software is only shipping on new STBs rather than being pushed to older ones, and that part of the reason it's not out yet is that it has bugs that cause incompatibility with older receivers. Just a speculation.

From what I can see the new STB software is pretty damn stable. I haven't had a lick of trouble yet out of it. Hope I didn't just jinx myself. :)

Say I'm watching Disc-HD and I want to pull up the guide to see what else is on. It won't go back to channel 100 like the old software did. It goes back to DISC-HD on the guide.

Philips tv service menu

I'm able to enter the Philips tv service menu by pressing 062596 then pressing the 'exit' button. I have to press the 'menu' button to save my settings. Hope that helps.

Sounds like most of you with overscan and "to the left" problems need to have your sets calibrated. I'm sure that others are seeing HD for the first time and have no idea how to adjust their H-V settings. These are on your TV set, not on the VOOM box. And by the way, no STB can stretch a 4:3 HD picture because it is a 16:9 broadcast of HD and the black is part of the picture.

Tvlman said:
And by the way, no STB can stretch a 4:3 HD picture because it is a 16:9 broadcast of HD and the black is part of the picture.
The Dish 6000 can. :D

Thanks Rcmojo, by any chance did you intially have problems playing DVDs in Progressive Scan mode with the image shifted a little too far down? I hope the service menu can allow me to adjust all that.

Shift not caused by TV set

I have a 65" Mit widescreen and a 17" Philips LCD widescreen. Both TV's exhibit the same SD picture shift to the right. This shift is present when display input is set for either component or s-video. Neither TV has DVI input. All of the Voom on-screen menus are displayed perfectly centered on the screen. When I press the Voom button, the current channel picture that is displayed in the upper right corner of the screen also shows the shift (picture is shifted to the right inside the black box). All channels that are broadcast in widescreen do not show any hint of shift. Only 4:3 pictures have shift. If the TV service menus are used to correct the shift then the Voom menus will also shift off the screen. The only fix I see is for Voom to recognize that this is a problem with their box and either do a firmware update or replace the boxes.

BTW, I have a Scientific Atlanta HD box and SD box for cable and neither box ever exhibited any picture shift on either of my TV sets.

So far I am very happy with the HD portion of Voom :D but think the SD picture shift needs to be fixed. :mad:

jbcaro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)