Voom Plus Packs?

VideoGrabber

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 23, 2004
Kalamazoo
Is there any concensus on which Plus Pack is the best, either in terms of OAR offerings, PQ, etc? Or any other factors folks might care to share?

I think the VaVaVoom package would be overkill for me, especially before they get the DVRs out, and I'd like to lock in the Basic Voom at $39.90 now, with just one Plus Pack, perhaps switching the Plus Pack around at some later date?

Any idea if they charge a fee to change your Plus Pack selection later?

Thanks.

- Tim

I wouldnt get voom without vavavoom. simply because you get 2 or 3 HD channels with each plus pak. D* only gives you one. and the price difference is only 40 bucks. Then consider the popular shows on HBO and the boxing on SHO and HBO. well those 2 additions alone will cost you 30 bucks. vavavoom is a great value.(after MAy the price diff will be 30 bucks and it will be even more of a no brainer)

VideoGrabber,

The $39.90/mo package is no longer available with any Plus Pack other than HD Marquee. The premium movie channels are all extra now. The only people who locked in old $39.90/mo "choose your premium package" offer were those that purchased VOOM equipment between October and early February(?). It was never available to those that leased the equipment.

I don't believe there's currently any charge to change premium packages.

As vurbano says, one really needs VaVaVoom--with its ten premium movie channels in HD--to take full advantage of the service.

Ken F wrote:
> The $39.90/mo package is no longer available with any Plus Pack other than HD Marquee. <

Right. I was aware of that. My apologies for being unclear. I was looking for a single Plus Pack ($15 + $40 base package) to complement the core package. Since I'll have no way to either record or timeshift programming, it makes no sense to me to spend the extra for the VaVa group (which I agree is a great value), when I'll be missing most of the HiDef content anyway (rarely around to catch things "live").

I'd actually prefer to just wait until they have their DVR out, but who knows when that will be, and $40+$15+10 = $65/mo will tide me over until that happens. I can always step up to the VaVaVoom package later, but I can't go back down to the $39.90 basic Voom package, since there won't be one after May31st.

Thanks for the quick responses!

- Tim

To explain a bit further, if I was trying to "take full advantage of the service", I'd also be signing up for 2 receivers now. It would make more sense to have 2 installed, then drop one, than get one and pay mondo bucks for the 2nd one later.

However, by the time I'd really have any need for two, the DVR will be out, with its 2 satellite and 2 OTA tuners, and I think a single box will still satisfy my needs. At that point though, it's definitely VaVaVoom time.

If anyone has any opinions on the Plus Packs for movie choices (not sports, etc.), PQ, OAR content, etc. I'd still be interested in hearing them.

- Tim

VideoGrabber,

If anyone has any opinions on the Plus Packs for movie choices (not sports, etc.), PQ, OAR content, etc. I'd still be interested in hearing them.
My favorite is HBO with its excellent original series programming-- Sopranos, Deadwood, and Carnivale; these are shown in HD with Dolby Digital 5.1. The Sopranos and Deadwood seasons will be over in a few weeks, but they'll have reruns. As far as movies, HBO shows 2.35:1 movies either cropped to 16:9 or open matte (more information than director intented). Only their 1.85:1 movies--perhaps 40%-50% of their content--are shown OAR. Starz does the same thing with their movies.

Showtime uses OAR for virtually all of its movies, but they also show a lot less in HD (and a lot more widescreen upconverts) compared to HBO.

I agree with Ken. I have the base, plus HBO. I love HBP for Sapranos. They have a good selection of channels and I have not had any bad PQ issues on hbo yet. I am not glued to the Tv though so I may have missed any that did show up.

I agree that the vavavoom package is a good deal, but spending the extra $ would put me over my budget so I stuck with HBO.

I have considered adding starz since I like a lot of the movines they show, but then I would only be $15 away from vavavoom and it could be a slippery slope ya know?

For quantity of HD, either Showtime or Starz would be the best value for the price. They both have 3 HD channels while the others only have 2. More choice was the criteria for me choosing the Showtime package.

For quantity of HD, either Showtime or Starz would be the best value for the price. They both have 3 HD channels while the others only have 2. More choice was the criteria for me choosing the Showtime package.
Even with the extra HD channel, I think you'll find more HDTV programming in the HBO package, given all the upconverts Showtime does.

Thanks very much, guys. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

FAYRICH commented:
> For quantity of HD, either Showtime or Starz would be the best value for the price. They both have 3 HD channels while the others only have 2. More choice was the criteria for me choosing the Showtime package. <

That was my initial criteria as well, and I was leaning towards Showtime.

Ken F wrote:
> Showtime uses OAR for virtually all of its movies, <

Another strong reason for me to go with that package.

> but they also show a lot less in HD (and a lot more widescreen upconverts) compared to HBO. <

And then shot down in flames. ;) Upconverts are disappointing, and of no value to me. I've got an excellent scaler, and can do my own upconverts. In my book, that's really NOT HiDef.

> HBO shows 2.35:1 movies either cropped to 16:9 or open matte <

Do folks not care about this, or have they been petitioning HBO to support OAR? I suspect that one reason HBO may be taking this approach is the number of viewers who dislike "black bars", and is avoiding complaints. If it weren't for the upconverts on Showtime, I'd consider going with them just to demonstrate support for OAR.

> I think you'll find more HDTV programming in the HBO package... <

That would be the clincher for me. Thanks again for all the valuable input.

- Tim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)