Voom Promo'd at Wal-mart

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
Anyone else see the VOOM promos at wal-mart? They were showing a bunch of VOOM channels on their HD sets tonight when I was in the store. Kinda of odd cause it then went directly to a DirecTV HD promo and then a regular DirecTV promo.

I asked a CSR just to see when they started showing VOOM and all the guy said was "Don't know, not sure what VOOM is, we only deal in DirecTV."

My local Walmart has been doing Voom promo's for a while. Don't remember when they started though, I say a good 6 months ago. I doubt anyone at my local Walmart knows anything about it.

Wow, I missed that one completely. THey just started at my local wal-mart AFAIK. Maybe they wanted some VOOM content to show on their HD sets as the DirecTV HD channels just weren't up to par. :)

Last edited:
Wal-Mart has been selling Dish Network for a while now. They used to sell DirecTv a good while back. Maybe it just depends on what each Wal-Mart decides to sell.

Stargazer said:
Wal-Mart has been selling Dish Network for a while now. They used to sell DirecTv a good while back. Maybe it just depends on what each Wal-Mart decides to sell.

My local Wal-mart sells DirecTV boxes. They haven't sold Dish Network in ages. Its funny to see VOOM on the HDTV's but people can only purchase DirecTV boxes, so no VOOM, seems like a bait and hook setup to me.

Stargazer said:

I vaguely remember Dish in WallyWorld about 3 years ago around here. Has been DirecTV since then.

I originaly bought my first two 301's at wally world.. when they were shipping the recivers and dishes in the same box with a self hookup kit about two years ago. :) then I set the dish up myself and pointed it :)

There has also been Voom on display at Best Buy, and they definitely don't sell Dish. I think the Voom programming is just trying to get people interested to build up a demand.

D* needs an HD Demo channel. I'd give up any single D* HD channel (in its current state) for the old pre-HDNet HD loop demo channel they used to have - if it was full res/bandwidth.

My local Wal-Mart only shows cartoon dvds on all of their HD sets. And then most of the time the dvds are just on the menu, so nobody can tell what the tvs actually look like.

Walmart sells DirecTV. They once sold Dish and before that DirecTV but they're back to DirecTV. IIRC (I work at a walmart store) SAM'S carries Dish.

The TVs at walmart stores is programmed by PRN, a company that programs in store TV networks for most major retailers (Circuit City, Best Buy, etc). They sell ad time to just about anyone who wants to buy (except competitors to walmart of course) so Voom is probably buying the ad time (or had pre-purchased it a long time ago) from PRN. If you notice they also have ads for NBC shows in HD and run other spots that are either upconverted to HD or filmed in HD (one I remember in particular is a spot for fujifilm cameras)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)