voom receiver reboots when tuned to pbs-hd

tracker79

Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
hi there! new user here - i have been getting PBS HD for more than a year when a few days ago, the receiver go into an instant reboot everytime i tune to 11-1 (wttw hd chicago).

i did a rescan and it showed 99 strength, i could still get the two other pbs which is 11-2 and 11-3. any ideas?

thanks.

Something must be wrong with the PSIP data stream for this channel. We've seen this happen before. Try contacting your local broadcaster (WTTW) about this issue. Ask them if they are messing with PSIP data. They might be able to help.

Welcome to the forum!

The VOOM receiver is finicky when it comes to the PSIP datastream. The following post should help:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=58164&highlight=voom+psip

There is also some useful information in these threads...or just search "VOOM+PSIP"

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=37215&highlight=voom+psip
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=11456&highlight=voom+psip
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=12985&highlight=voom+psip

Lastly, there is some good information in the VOOM STB Faq. Some software verision were even more finicky (6.10 and 6.20 as I recall).

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=7178&highlight=voom+6.20+faq

I received an email from PBS Chicago that correctly guessed my DTV receiver is VOOM. Here is the text:

I'm guessing you're using a "VOOM" satellite receiver that has a built
in DTV receiver. We've added data services to our DTV broadcast that
has negatively affected viewers using VOOM receivers.

The DTV receiver inside the VOOM box is not ATSC compliant. That means
the box wasn't correctly designed for the DTV broadcast system (the ATSC
system). The data services we've added are ATSC compliant and we have
no difficulty with any other receivers.

VOOM went out of business a few years ago and the manufacturer of the
receiver is no longer supporting the product. There is no way to get
them to make any changes to these boxes to make them compliant.

I'm sorry to say the only recourse you have on this is to get a new DTV
receiver.

Thank you for your support of Channel 11 and WTTWD and I hope you'll
remain a loyal viewer. If you have any further questions feel free to
contact me.

I guess I have no more recourse here. Just want to let others know in case they have the same problem with PBS HD.

I appreciate the replies from those who did. I really like this forum.

Hmmm. Ask their engineering section for more information. First, the hardware is 100% ATSC (3rd generation) compliant. As best I recall, software 6.38 or 7.x implemented dynamic PSIP. The last two software verision should be 100% ATSC compliant as of last spring. If you have an older software version 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, then this guy is probably correct. If not, it's within your right to ask them to prove that it is your VOOM receiver and not something on their end (PSIP generator, mux, etc.). Of course, you'll have absolutely zero support from VOOM/Motorola.

If you're not satisfied with their explaination, you can always file a complaint with the FCC.

voom receiver booted when reach HD PBS

April 11th, I discovered my receiver got rebooted itself everytime i change channel to 59.1 HD PBS. there were no booted on any channels even 59.2 digital PBS.
i am in los Angeles basin.
these channel 59.1 and 59.2 are from KCET PBS.

I found out member name FTLOSH got solved problem but didn't say how to setting anything at all.
i already read that message :

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=58164&highlight=voom+psip

where can i find the patch to fix this problem ?

can you get ahold of FTLOSH to get detail how to get patch?

It's been my experiece that when the VOOM STB experiences PSIP problems, other 2nd and 3rd generation receivers (Samsung, Motorola) also have problems. Someone needs to call PBS and ask what they're doing...

The local PBS station in Phoenix, AZ (KAET) also made programming guide changes recently that is causing the Voom receiver to reboot when tuning into the HD channel (8.1).

HI RPacion-
I'm here in Phoenix as well and am having the same problem with 8.1. Have you contacted them yet to see if tehy are having a problem with the data stream?

Also, I've lost significant signal strength from 3-TV. Have you?

SoupMama said:
Have you contacted them yet to see if tehy are having a problem with the data stream?
Yes I'm in contact with the engineer at KAET about this porblem.
I'm going to let them use one of my unused Voom receivers to do some testing and analysis as to why the box is rebooting. I'll post updates here as I get them.

I have the same reboot problem when I try 62.1 (PBS) out of Baltimore. But it doesn't happen with 26.1 (PBS) out of DC.

I'm also having the problem with PBS in Baltimore (67.1).

I think PBS is boycotting all of us who didn't pay at the last telethon. heh. ;)

-John

I'll try and dig out my Zenith HD tuner and see if it has the same problem.

posted at winnfreenet:

>>>>>>>>>

The engineer at WFYI in Indianapolis also performed the same test with me, by unhooking the Goldstar multiplexor and then rehooking it up. My tuner also worked when the multiplexor was unhooked. The engineer said he would try to contact the manufacturer and then get back with me.

the PBS channel enginner replied after checking with the Multiplexor manufacturer and they don't have a fix.

This is the quote sent from the manufacturers, "Our findings were that the Voom Motorola DSR550 either hangs or reboots when it comes across a data casting signal. This occurs with our deployment merging data from a Triveni inserter through an LI mux or any datacast found through other stations. Unfortunately the only solution is to have the Voom user remove or lock out the station from their presets."

>>>>>>>

bad news - we may end up blocking ALL!!!!!

I just want to add to this forum that I as well cannot receive KCET HD.... VOOM STB reboots when I channel up or down or go directly to Channel 28.1.....this started to occur approx. 2 month ago and previously was getting channel 28.1 HD for over a year. I Emailed KCET about this and received no answer..Im in the Los Angeles South Bay area... everything else is fine with my VOOM STB.....Im glad I came to this forum and got the answers... I appreciate all the help and feedback I found here.... Thanks to all here

FWIW, KAET 8-1 in Phoenix is no longer instantly rebooting my Voom box. I can watch PBS-HD again!

Maybe the PBS broadcasters figured out what was messing things up for us. I'm happy!

Shawn95GT said:
FWIW, KAET 8-1 in Phoenix is no longer instantly rebooting my Voom box. I can watch PBS-HD again!

Maybe the PBS broadcasters figured out what was messing things up for us. I'm happy!
I just captured a 2 minute segment of KAET-DT and noticed that there is no "private sections" (i.e. TV Guide data). I think they turned off the TV Guide data earlier today to diagnose a recent issue of no audio on channel 8.1 with Mitsubishi digital tuners.
So enjoy it while it lasts, because they will need to eventually turn TV Guide back on.

BTW, I delivered a spare Voom receiver to KAET last week so they can investigate it further. I will report here on anything they find.

Yeah - I actually wrote them to say thanks and they back up what you just said (TV Guide off). It will be 'broken' again as soon as tomorrow :(.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts