Voom Serial Connection to Tivo

Bikemen

Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Hi, I am having a really difficult time here getting my Tivo, to change the channel on the Voom Box ( Motorola ) I can get it to work with an IR Blaster but I would like to use a serial cable ( mini plug ) instead. Is this possible and where on the Voom Box would I be to connect the serial cable from my Tivo? I would really appreciate any help.

Thank You

Ben

I have my VOOM STD sitting on top of my TIVO and don't even use a cable.
It hasn't missed a single change in over a month that I have had them paired up.

speaking of tivo for voom, i bought the pioneer dvd recorder, with 80 hr hard drive for tivo, but it wont record in dd from the voom box? how do i get it to do this? it will record in pro logic fine but not dd? but yet it has the output for the fiber optic cable for dd going out to my dd sony receiver, but i just plays it back in pro logic, i have not tried to record anything on the dvd recorder yet just on the hard drive, how is your guys pic quality in recording from the voom receiver>? i have my hooked up with the ir blaster and it changes the channels fine on the voom receiver.

oh yes i forgot in my last posting, it wont give me the local channels listings in the pg for the ones i receive from voom with my ota antenna.

i didn't know tivo has the channel line up for Voom...do they have it now and a working program guide for VOom service?

Tivo will not give you your local channels on Voom in Tivo PG. Here's my work-around. Say you want to record Wheel of Fortune at 6:30 on local channel 13.

1. Manually setup up Tivo to record channel 999 (or whatever) from 6:29-7:00.
2. Setup Voom planner to change channel to Wheel of Fortune on channel 13 at 6:30.

Yes, The lineup is up and running but having an IR blaster to change the channels is both esthically unpleasing and in my opinion somewhat dated. Is there a solution with a serial cable? What Is the USB port in the back of the Voom Box ( Motorola ) for? could this be used in place of the IR Blaster and if so, is there a serial ( mini plug ) to USB cable available?

How did you get them to pair up? What setting did you select in the Tivo Setup?

Yes the program guide is up and runnig. You need to go to Messages and Setup and do a guided installation again ( WARNING ) do not select to ( reset ) as this will erase your HD. Just select guided setup and follow the promps and ' Voom ' will be one of the selections.

I use cable for my local programming because I cannot get a feed from my local networks via (ant) because of the surrounding hills. I just connected the input coaxle cable for my local cable programming to the ( RF ) input on the Tivo, and I get both Voom and my cable programming with no problems. Now, if I can only get a serial cable to change the channels, I would be really happy instead of using an IR Blaster. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This option would be nice if Vooms planner would do this every day monday-friday.

If Voom and Tivo cannot get the local situation figured out soon, maybe Voom can establish a monday-friday style setting for the planner.

Not: I'm being brief with my "monday-friday" verbage but I hope most know what I mean.

squicken said:
Tivo will not give you your local channels on Voom in Tivo PG. Here's my work-around. Say you want to record Wheel of Fortune at 6:30 on local channel 13.

1. Manually setup up Tivo to record channel 999 (or whatever) from 6:29-7:00.
2. Setup Voom planner to change channel to Wheel of Fortune on channel 13 at 6:30.

shaun-ohio,

The last time I did some research, there were no DVD recorders that will record in anything other than 2 channel. They all down-mix 5.1 (or whatever)to two channels. Sucks, doesn't it? That's why I won't buy one. The 5.1 audio is very important for me.

shaun-ohio said:
speaking of tivo for voom, i bought the pioneer dvd recorder, with 80 hr hard drive for tivo, but it wont record in dd from the voom box? how do i get it to do this? it will record in pro logic fine but not dd?
You are SOL, no recorders as of yet will record DD 5.1 except for the PVR's that directly record the satellite streams or HD OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)