VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550): Post-VOOM Edition

Problem fixed. Static charge on tuner module.

You are not referring to the CBS stations causing the Voom STBs to reboot problem are you? I have two Voom STBs and they both reboot when I tune to CBS 11.1 KTVT here in Dallas/Ft. Worth. I contacted the station a few days ago about the problem, even before I read this thread, but I've yet to hear back from them. I'm curiou if the Voom tuners are the only tuners affected by this CBS exclusive problem???

New info on an old box.

I just learned about voom boxes today. Perhaps it might be what I am looking for. I was looking for a way to use a standard monitor with standard inputs to play OTA TV. I looks like this box might do it. I looked a the diagram in post #4 and see that there is one active input for an antenna. That should be OK.

My question is whether there is a way to "pass through" another signal on to the monitor? That is I have another satellite box (active) and would like to pass that signal through the Voom along with the antenna signal. Are any of the other coax inputs open as a pass through? How might I run 2 inputs through this STB? Perhaps there is an easy way that I am not thinking of. Is it possible?

Can these STB be used without a remote control (missing)?

I was looking for a way to use a standard monitor with standard inputs to play OTA TV.
This might be possible, but keep in mind that not all computer monitors are capable of displaying 1080i or 720p signal.

My question is whether there is a way to "pass through" another signal on to the monitor? That is I have another satellite box (active) and would like to pass that signal through the Voom along with the antenna signal.
No, I don't think this would be possible. The VOOM box cannot pass through any other input to the DVI output.

Are any of the other coax inputs open as a pass through?
It can pass through the analog (coax) input to the analog (coax) output, but not to the DVI. So, this will not work with the computer monitor.

Can these STB be used without a remote control (missing)?
You do need a remote. Some functions are only accessible via remote (as far as I remember - it's been long time!) You can use a universal remote though (e.g. Harmony).

By the way, welcome to SatelliteGuys!

CBS stations

You are not referring to the causing the Voom STBs to reboot problem are you? I have two Voom STBs and they both reboot when I tune to CBS 11.1 KTVT here in Dallas/Ft. Worth. I contacted the station a few days ago about the problem, even before I read this thread, but I've yet to hear back from them. I'm curiou if the Voom tuners are the only tuners affected by this CBS exclusive problem???

Last year I was able to talk to the chief engineer at a CBS station that had not
caused me the reboot grief until recently.He thought it was a TV guide change to the stream as they were in and changed something.:(

OTA SIGNAL STRENGTH 0 dsr 550 motorola

I got Voom service just before they went out of business, two recievers that were working. Shortly After they went out of business I disconnected the boxes.
Now I am trying to use them as OTA tuners.

Hooked them up to a large outdoor antenna (not amplified). Both show zero OTA signal strength.

I have read the FAQ on this board and have connected each(independantly) to the ota module.

I tried hooking up one of the gov't subsidized digital tuners to the same antenna feed which did work fine on the TV, so I know I am getting a usable signal.

Any idea why both the voom boxes are showing 0 signal strentgh?

Thanks,
The Giff

Neither will pick up any stations. On the second, I got into the multiipage installation menu and found zero signal strength on both the SAT (of course) and the OTA antenna.

I had read about a kill command being sent, but read later that no such command was ever sent, so I am baffled as to why both don't work.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Have you removed the diplexer from the back of the VOOM box? It can only be used with amplified antennas.

SIGNAL STRENGTH 0

Yes, both had the diplexer module installed and I removed it and attached the antenna wire to the far right (looking at it from the back) connection. It has the latest software (version 727) installed.

Is there a way to verify they are still "activated"? Or is this completely un-necessary since they both were working with the Voom service?

Are you still in the same location where the boxes worked before? The same OTA channel map?

Have you tried different channels? Are they all dead?

Also, are you absolutely sure that this is not an amplified antenna that requires power? It's rather unusual to have antenna without a built-in preamp.

Signal strength 0 on all OTA channels usually means incorrect wiring, poor connection, pre-amp not getting power, or perhaps a bad box.

The "Kill" signal was only sent to those who canceled the service while VOOM was still up.

no signal Voom Box

I have moved 10-15 miles as the crow flies away from I was when the voom was working, but still in the same tv market.

I purchased, installed, and cabled the antenna myself. It is pretty large (8'x6' approx), not amplified. It actually installed in my attic, and I must admit I have not grounded it yet, but can't see that affecting it.

I do get usuable DTV signals on the Zenith DTT901 converter box I got with the gov't coupon. By the way, the guy with Zenith (India) says I will get HDTV with it. Does that ring true to you? If so, I can just use that and get rid of the Vooms.

I guess it is possible that Voom killed my account. I got it about 2 weeks before they decided to go out of business, I was not getting all the local channels and called them to correct it. They cancelled the service appt because they were going out of business. They never billed me, and I believe the system worked until they went dark.

Thanks, Dave

No, you will not get HD with a converter box that was coupon eligible. That's one of the specific requirements for coupon eligibility, no HD allowed. Only meant as something for people who have an old NTSC based TV that's not HD capable.

What's the brand and model number of your antenna?

voom box 0 signal strength.

I don't have any documentation or know the model number, but it pretty much looks like this, but with more elements:
RadioShack® VU-90 XR 80" Boom Length, 26-Element Antenna - RadioShack.com.
There is no AC power adapter or signal booster attached, just a straight coax line attached to the 3 inch twin lead adapter.

About the converter box, I did not think the guy in India knew what he was talking about.

By the way the antenna also works fine with my 52" LCD 1080p TV with built in tuner.
That's why I think it has something to do with the Voom box.

Thanks, Dave

It is very possible that the problem is with the box. Or perhaps it wasn't fully activated in the first place.
One thing you can try is to pull out and re-insert the OTA module. Worth a try.

Voom Motorola DSR-550 OTA problem

I am using this tuner for OTA local channels. I am able to get most but for some reason channel 4.1 (local CBS) will not come in (I can view it on other sets that I'm not using the old VOOM tuner for - so I know it's a good channel) and when I type this channel the DSR reboots??? I have reset the channels using the auto feature a number of times and 4.1 will be recognized, but when I choose it, the reboot happens. :mad:

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Were you able to resolve your problem? I have a similar problem with my local CBS channel 4.1. Frustrating! Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts