VOOM- STB HD format?

wtped

Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
Westchester, NY
How can you tell what format your STB is outputting. My Directv Zenith SAT 520 shows the format. How do you tell on the Voom box?

I want my set for 1080i

Thanks

Hit the red button on the front panel. Top bar lit indicates 1080i, next bar 720p, next bar 480p, next bar 480i, all bars lit native resolution of the program/channel.

Sean:
Does this mean that every channel has a different resolution?
Is there a way to output automatically to the highest?
Right now via DVI output, my TV shows 480i on all channels...looks fantastic, but it could be even better, right?

Just press that magic button and it will look MUCH BETTER, trust me! :yes

P.S. In 1080i position (the upper red bar lit) all channels will be converted to 1080i regardless of the source. In "native" position (all 4 bars lit) the source resolution will be passed to your TV (i.e. 1080i or 720p for HD channels; 480i for SD channels), Just make sure your TV set gets its signal through DVI or component, not through S-video or composite!

Thanks Ilya...I'll try it when I get home tonight! The TV is connected via DVI...
Just to be sure I understand..."all 4 bars lit" will automatically pass on native resolution of the program/channel to the TV regardless? Is this the better way or is converting all to 1080i better?

truqui said:
Just to be sure I understand..."all 4 bars lit" will automatically pass on native resolution of the program/channel to the TV regardless?
Correct. On DVI and component outputs, to be precise. Other outputs (s-video, composite and RF/antenna) always down-convert everything to 480i.
Is this the better way or is converting all to 1080i better?
It depends. Some TV sets have problems with 720p, others have problems switching from one resolution to another, also on-screen program guide doesn't look too good in native mode on SD channels. My suggestion: start with 1080i mode and later experiment with other modes.
Just don't use 480i or 480p modes with an HDTV. These are SD modes!

My boss got his Voom install the same day I did but his installer didn't tell him about the magic button. He had been watching in 480 this whole time.

He came over and checked out my install and he said "your menu is so much more crisp than mine, I wonder why that is". Then I showed him the difference the little button can make. :smug